Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Fog Light install trouble. w/ pics!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog Light install trouble. w/ pics!

Hello,

Recently I took on the little project of installing foglights in my friend's 2006 Civic Si. After installing the foglights into the bumper, it was time to start plugging in all the wiring. I was following the directions from another member in this forum who has pictures posted for every step. They were extremely helpful locating all the plugs until I ran into some trouble.

Here's the link to the product I purchased for him on eBay. He wanted the knock off fog lights, rather than spending an arm and a leg at Honda.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...&rd=1

If you look at the picture of the foglights and wiring you'll notice it only shows two seperate wiring harnesses included with the kit. Other kits on eBay show three. I'll now show the pictures of the plugs that I was unable to hook up because it was either different from the one it needed to be.. or non-existant on the car.

This is a picture of a power wire coming from the foglight harness. According to the picture install in this forum, the single wire connection is supposed to plug into a brown plug on the right side of the car behind the windshield washer fluid.

Here is the brown plug. But, the white and brown plug are both different plugs that don't plug into each other to begin with.

So I decided to start working inside the care and figure it out later. Well the harness underneath the dash started to work out but I was let down again. The picture install provided had many more plugs and pins that needed to be inserted than the wire harness i was provided. So I did my best. I connected a ground to the relay, I plugged in the actual switch on the dashboard, and I connected a brown single wire plug into what I assume is the other end of the brown plugged wire at the front of the vehicle. I then was left with two rogue plugs.. which I had no idea where the went.

The first one, white, is a single wire connection that actually is a perfect fit for the white plug coming off the bumper. Somehow it doesn't do me much good under the dashboard though..

The second, is a grey single wire plug with 4 pinholes. This plug is coming off an inline fuse that was included on the wire harness. I have absolutely no idea where it might go.

If anybody can help me figure out this mess I'd be much obliged. It's not my car and I'm trying to get it done for him as a favor. Thank you very much.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fog Light install trouble. w/ pics! (nuggets)

that brown plug that is in your car is suppose to attach to a brown plug that is with the fog light wiring. i dont konw what that 4pin plug is but i remember that i had one plug that i didnt plug in either (i have non-oem as well)

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums....html
my whole install i followed this DIY. for the most part everything he said was how mine went. hope that helps you
Old 12-10-2007, 03:01 PM

yo i had the same harness and ran into the same problem. i just basically threw out the interior harness and went to the local dealer and bought the interior harness(the one that connects to the switch) and of course the whole headlight switch...but this was on a 07 si =/ and make sure the fuse is in the right slot lolz
Old 12-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fog Light install trouble. w/ pics! (pd0019)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pd0019 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that brown plug that is in your car is suppose to attach to a brown plug that is with the fog light wiring. i dont konw what that 4pin plug is but i remember that i had one plug that i didnt plug in either (i have non-oem as well)

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums....html
my whole install i followed this DIY. for the most part everything he said was how mine went. hope that helps you </TD></TR></TABLE>

I followed the same DIY and the problems I ran into are above.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BeEzZie27 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yo i had the same harness and ran into the same problem. i just basically threw out the interior harness and went to the local dealer and bought the interior harness(the one that connects to the switch) and of course the whole headlight switch...but this was on a 07 si =/ and make sure the fuse is in the right slot lolz</TD></TR></TABLE>

How much was this harness and what did you do about the foglight wires up front. How did you manage to connect the brown plug to the foglights? cut and solder? i hope not because that wire is SHOOORT
Old 12-10-2007, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It seems like the only nonOEM foglight kit that has no problems is the k2motor fogs. Either you have to do some splicing or get a new harness.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fog Light install trouble. w/ pics! (Mik3)

ughh this is stupid becase I had NO idea there were different kits out there on eBay. they all looked the same.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 12-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for more solutions!
Old 12-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, we ordered the stock wire harnesses from honda and I installed them today. The front bumper plug had to be cut off and hardwired to the stock harness (power/ground) The interior harness plugged in smoothly except for the switch. I'm not sure why the plug on the switch was also completely different but it was. Somehow this kit just seemed like it wasn't made for an 06 Si... because so many plugs were wrong. Anyways, I attempted to match up the colors using the eBay special switch plug. I did so and now I have problems. The foglights only turn on when the lights are on, and the switch doesn't function whatsoever. Even the illumination bulb behind the switch doesn't light up. I'm not quite sure where to go from here.. and also the stereo back lighting has shut off for next track, climate control, etc. I'm thinking it might just be a fuse for that. Anyways.. any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nuggets &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The foglights only turn on when the lights are on, and the switch doesn't function whatsoever. Even the illumination bulb behind the switch doesn't light up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

my kit doesnt do either of those either...its what we get for not going OEM i guess

not sure about your other problem. good luck
Old 12-20-2007, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when I put a 12v source to the power wire on the switch, (originally the purple wire) the illumination on the switch turned on. but the switch still had no function. Is it just this cheap switch that came with the kit? Should I have him buy the OEM switch aswell?
Old 12-22-2007, 04:01 PM
99-0104

I bought the same kit with the same guys...
I live near them and have dealt with them before. I am going to go talk to them on Monday. I have the same exact kit. If they don't do anything about it, I will do something about it. They said 100% direct bolt on.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pd0019 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

my kit doesnt do either of those either...its what we get for not going OEM i guess

not sure about your other problem. good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

All I have installed is OEM kits... I hate to be an ***, but I guess stuff like this is kinda the reason you pay an arm and a leg at the dealership.

I do hope you figure it out, and if you need any schematics or info on the wiring diagrams for the factory car or the OEM fog lights, let me know.

Old 12-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fog Light install trouble. w/ pics! (Stripped Honda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stripped Honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I bought the same kit with the same guys...
I live near them and have dealt with them before. I am going to go talk to them on Monday. I have the same exact kit. If they don't do anything about it, I will do something about it. They said 100% direct bolt on.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Oh snap. That was my friend's H-T account.
That was me posting that comment. I didn't know I was on his account.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:56 PM

i just bought the same kit.. and when i tried to install it.. i was tootally lost..

im pretty sure its a harness for a RSX because i installed one of my friends fogs on his rsx and it was the same 4 pin and 2 pin connectors.

this dealer is bull. i sent him a email for the real harness.

oh by the way how much is the oem harness? thanks
Old 12-22-2007, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fog Light install trouble. w/ pics! (vi3tshi3t08)

Dont buy the ebay kits if you want it to install and work like oem! The OEM kit you have to pin into one of the larger connectors on the drivers side dash harness. Jimmying is not my thing! especially on a new car that is a lot more complex then an eg.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:17 AM

I had the same problem with my wife's '07. I thought I would save a few buck but after the hassle and trips to the dealer for factory parts I'm not buying anything from Ebay that says OEM... It was far from it. I have to buy the turn signal switch now.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fog Light install trouble. w/ pics! (vi3tshi3t08)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vi3tshi3t08 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> oh by the way how much is the oem harness? thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I ended up having him buy the interior harness, the relay, and the fuse which I could tell I needed from the directions. I also had him buy the sub harness from the foglights --&gt; to the brown plug on the car's original chassis harness. It all came out to about $70 dollars from the dealership.

I had to cut/solder some wires to make this kit work but now it works only with the lights on. I'm not sure what else I could do besides buying the stock switch, and then it would probably work like normal. But, I don't think he cares enough to spend more money on it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stripped Honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I bought the same kit with the same guys...
I live near them and have dealt with them before. I am going to go talk to them on Monday. I have the same exact kit. If they don't do anything about it, I will do something about it. They said 100% direct bolt on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah if you could say something to them that'd be great. I just gave them negative feedback for selling such a bunk kit.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn, i wish i could help. i bought a set from a member here. he got them off ebay and they looked like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem

my friend and i installed it. wasn't bad until we had to hook up the wiring. we followed a diy from 8th civic. after a couple hours, we were either short a harness or had an extra one (i can't remember{we just connected what we could}), it didn't come with the right fuse, and had a crap load of extra screws! ugh we were so frustrated. luckily, when we turned it on, everything worked fine (turns on with switch). thank god.

i wish i remember what exactly we did. i forgot to bring my camera too.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:48 PM

The harness was like $17 and the switch was like $55 but its well worth it without all that hassle...i did a little bit of trimming down on the male brown plug...took me a while but i got it on to snap. just but the upper harness with the relay and the switch and you guys should be good. and now one of my bulbs is busted now it looks like crap driving around with one fog light =[ waiting on my hid bulbs to come in from ebay lols
Old 12-26-2007, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fog Light install trouble. w/ pics! (BeEzZie27)

I went there to tell them about the foglight kit, They told me they might have had the wrong harness and to just take pictures and show it to them. I'll do that...
They'll replace it if they see it's not the right now. Or maybe they gave the wrong last harness. Which is the brown connector.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Fog Light install trouble. w/ pics! (FutureITR)

does anybody know how much the fog lights from the dealership are?
Old 12-26-2007, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fog Light install trouble. w/ pics! (06siracer)

$400 i think
Old 12-27-2007, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fog Light install trouble. w/ pics! (06siracer)

the foglights are $325.
it cost me $649 including the install, but well worth it. if anything goes wrong with them (other than a bulb blowing) its covered by warranty. that includes if the lense breaks.
and the oem interior switch is so much nicer.
i considered buying a set off of ebay and doing it myself, but, what is like two more payments, ya know? at least i know its done right, they are excellent quality and they are covered.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:10 AM

I got mine for $216 shipped, and installed them yesterday. I did notice that the OEM fogs only turn on when the headlights are on.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/civext06.html

Quick Reply: Fog Light install trouble. w/ pics!