Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

The factory alarm system is useless.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 08:10 AM
yed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The factory alarm system is useless.

My car was broken into last night and so was my brother's TC and I never heard anything until he was knocking on my door like crazy this morning. Waiting for the police to arrive right now and stressing out like hell.

Modified by yed at 10:56 AM 12/20/2006
Old 12-20-2006, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The factory alarm system is useless. (yed)

that sucks i know how that feels because my ex was attempted to but it went off heres my thread https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1839065
Old 12-20-2006, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well the only time they really go off is if the car is unlocked or opened while armed.... so you can see how useless that really is. It's more designed to prevent them from stealing the car itself, as opposed to the stuff in your car.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:27 AM
yed

It was armed so I'm guessing either they jumped in and out of the window or the alarm just didn't go off.
Insurance will cover our windows but they also broke my arm rest(wtf?) which is a $500 deductible so I think I'll take care of that part. (help me out TRE? )

Still waiting on the police. By the way, they did steal stuff, does anybody have experience with that? The insurance company said that has to be filed with homeowners insurance.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:44 AM

Default Re: (yed)

Correct. I had my car broken into about 2 months ago.....had a bunch of stuff stolen worth about $1000. Didn't have renters/homeowners insurance, so its wasnt covered. I ended up just eating that cost. So you can probably guess what I did the very next day.......got the coverage.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:29 AM
yed

By the way, I tested on both the cars and the alarm does not go off. I armed both cars, unlocked and opened the door through the window, nothing happened.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do you have full coverage ? or doesnt make a diffrense for you? i mean deductable is same of course but as far as i was told based on this 8th gen civics that if you have full coverage your coverd HELL even if its a salvage car ( my AAA copany told me ) and ovoiusly it ranges from one company to another thas why im asking if you have full coverage
Old 12-20-2006, 11:50 AM

Bro, if your alarm didn't go off and your car is still under warranty, make a claim under your warranty to see if they'll eat the cost since they are liable for their product having an alarm.... example:
thief opens car door through window:
-alarm goes off
-manufacturer safe.
-alarm does not go off
-manufacturers liability.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:51 AM

i think the alarm goes off if the doors are unlocked and opened without our key being used. so if you set the alarm, and then unlock the door with your key and open it, the alarm will not go off. but if your car is broken into, and then the door is opened, then the alarm will go off.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:52 AM

Now, they may tell you to f* off, but hey, at least you tried, plus, it really should be their responsibility anyway so give it a shot.... threaten them with a class action if you have to.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (elklodgeezra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elklodgeezra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bro, if your alarm didn't go off and your car is still under warranty, make a claim under your warranty to see if they'll eat the cost since they are liable for their product having an alarm.... example:
-alarm goes off
-manufacturer safe.
-alarm does not go off
</TD></TR></TABLE> your right this is actually a good idea
Old 12-20-2006, 01:11 PM
yed

Default Re: (gus738)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gus738 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you have full coverage ? or doesnt make a diffrense for you? i mean deductable is same of course but as far as i was told based on this 8th gen civics that if you have full coverage your coverd HELL even if its a salvage car ( my AAA copany told me ) and ovoiusly it ranges from one company to another thas why im asking if you have full coverage </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have full coverage but there is a $500 deductable for what the arm rest is covered under. That would mean they will cover whatever is in excess of $500 right? If so, there's no point because the arm rest is only $100, so I'd be paying them an extra $400. The windows are covered under a $0 deductible.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:12 PM
yed

Default Re: (fili_pinoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fili_pinoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think the alarm goes off if the doors are unlocked and opened without our key being used. so if you set the alarm, and then unlock the door with your key and open it, the alarm will not go off. but if your car is broken into, and then the door is opened, then the alarm will go off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I armed both cars, <u>unlocked and opened the door through the windows</u>, nothing happened. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-20-2006, 01:13 PM

Warranty woman!! Check it out!!!
Old 12-20-2006, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That doesnt make since? Your alarm should go off if armed then unlocked from the inside
Old 12-20-2006, 01:43 PM
yed

Default Re: (Caveman74)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Caveman74 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That doesnt make since? Your alarm should go off if armed then unlocked from the inside</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly what I thought, and my "Anti-Theft" is even blinking so I would assume I do have an alarm. It even states here in the owner's manual: "Once the security system is set, opening any door, the trunk, or the hood without using the key or the remote transmitter will cause it to alarm."

Modified by yed at 2:59 PM 12/20/2006
Old 12-20-2006, 02:24 PM
yed

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elklodgeezra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bro, if your alarm didn't go off and your car is still under warranty, make a claim under your warranty to see if they'll eat the cost since they are liable for their product having an alarm.... example:
-alarm goes off
-manufacturer safe.
-alarm does not go off
-manufacturers liability.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So, now that I've confirmed it doesn't work, how shall I go about this? Go to the Honda dealership and file a claim or what?

By the way, update: An auto body place is actually going to come to my house and do a mobile repair tomorrow morning. Good job insurance.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:42 PM

i don't think Honda will cover your damages.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:02 PM

Default Re: The factory alarm system is useless. (yed)

I'm sorry to hear about what has happened to you, and the many other members on this thread. Such an ugly world we live in today. But in the midst of this discussion, might I suggest upgrading to an aftermarket alarm?? I have a Viper 350hv, the very basic alarm Best Buy offers and it's ONLY $230, professionally installed (well worh the money compared to the head aches you guys have had to go thru) Comes with ignition kill, glass sensor, and in my case, at no extra charge, the techs wired up an additional sensor to protect the trunk as well. Of course, the alarm will go off if any door is opened as well. Any slight tampping of the body will set off warning chirps (shock sensor). Hope everything works out for you.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The factory alarm system is useless. (dpao6)

BUT DOESNT the factory alarm mess with the aftermarket ones or is it an aditional?
Old 12-20-2006, 05:24 PM

Default Re: The factory alarm system is useless. (gus738)

Hmmm that's a good point. Mine was installed from scratch as I didn't have factory alarm. But I know it's been done http://www.8thcivic.com/forums...=6291

Give them a call, places like Circuit City or Best Buy do tons of these, they even have bypass modules for Hondas to counter the factory key disable in order to put remote starts on 06 civics. Not that I want to dog on the honda factory alarm, but if you look at the link I posted, the guys there were having trouble and lots of fun trying to set off their alarms as well. Not very protective in my humble opinion.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

-alarm goes off
-manufacturer safe.
-alarm does not go off
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The only real security our cars have is the immobilizer system for the ignition.(chipped key) As for the "alarm" its really non-existent... many people think that since they have a key fob/remote they've got an alarm but in essence its only purpose is KEYLESS entry. Honda warranty wont cover anything... has nothing to do with a "manufacturers liability".
Old 12-20-2006, 09:58 PM
yed

Honda wouldn't cover it. The burglar could have known how to disarm the system from inside, etc etc. Oh well, it was worth a try. At least my insurance is doing the window. Now I'm just worried about homeowner's covering the stuff that was inside. Have to call them tomorrow. And I'm definitely going to go get a Viper.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:17 AM

Eh f-it, warranty was worth a shot, anyway, good luck with the insurance, and for all intensive purposes, maybe it's best to keep it in the garage??
Old 12-21-2006, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Honda wouldn't cover it. The burglar could have known how to disarm the system from inside, etc etc. Oh well, it was worth a try. At least my insurance is doing the window. Now I'm just worried about homeowner's covering the stuff that was inside. Have to call them tomorrow. And I'm definitely going to go get a Viper.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Depending on who your carrier is for Homo insurance they should be willing to help out... of course its dependant on the overall value of what was stolen and if you have some records/recipts so they can properly reimburse you

Quick Reply: The factory alarm system is useless.