Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Civic 2D Mugen-Type Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic 2D Mugen-Type Spoiler

Hey everyone,

I have always loved the STI, Evo, Celica, RSX type spoilers that are sort of boxy. one for instance, the Mugen Spoiler.

Well I tried looking for a spoiler that would look exactly like that for my 2D civic ex and had no luck, only finding a Techno R spoiler. I didn't really become fond of that spoiler but searched till I found THE SPOILER. The Japanese Style Spoiler (listed on websites).

Well, Here's the installation process:

1: Remove any type of spoiler if necessary (mine was EX so decklid spoiler.) Patch it up if you'd like, or take it straight to a bodyshop before the process, i just covered it up with electrical tape with touchup paint... will be taking it to a bodyshop soon.

2. Open the box and look for any scratches, make sure all hardware is there and such.

3. Next step is to align the Spoiler with your trunk. use the "templates" given to you to make sure where to drill, and tape it down with masking tape.

4. Remove all the Masking Tape and w.e is left of the "Templates" and file the holes a bit with a metal filer.

5. Now the tricky part. You will have to remove the rubber bushing in order to tighten the nut included with the spoiler. removing the bushing isnt that bad, the next part will be more tricky.

6. In order to get nut to thread onto the stud that screwed into the spoiler, you will have to use a dremel tool to cut through the specified places.

File and smoothen out the gaps.

7. Once you've filed the holes and made sure the studs can go through with no problem, place the studs on the bottom of the spoiler and place the gaskets as well.

(no pics )

8. Next place the spoiler and slide the studs into their position and begin screwing the nuts on the bottom studs first.

9. Now begin screwing in the top studs, (this part is tricky and difficult.) and place the clips on the side of the trunk.

10. Now place the bushing back on
and make sure all nuts are tite along with the clips.

11. close the trunk and LOOK!

=D i love this spoiler
Old 04-18-2008, 12:42 PM

that **** looks dope!
where'd you get it from? link?
Old 04-18-2008, 12:49 PM

Default Re: (SIVIC 3)

hey guys, I bought this from ebay, they can also paint the spoiler, so i had them paint the spoiler... BTW The spoiler was so light i didnt have to change springs or anything on the trunk and holds it PERFECTLY. This is all basically install the spoiler rather than going through the hassle of changing other parts.

The Ebay link is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...65582

basically just give them ur color code when you purchase the item.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it looks good. it looks a little weird to me in a way.
but thats cuz every1 is used to seeing it on the 4drs.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (i-VTEC_DOHC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by i-VTEC_DOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it looks good. it looks a little weird to me in a way.
but thats cuz every1 is used to seeing it on the 4drs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is probably because it doesn't match the lines or shape of the 2 door.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:54 PM

Looks great, nice work. Thanks for pics/details.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdimi34)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdimi34 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looks great, nice work. Thanks for pics/details.</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2

looks good
Old 04-18-2008, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Civic 2D Mugen-Type Spoiler (irnhyd889)

Sorry but I think that looks absolutely awful That kind of spoiler doesn't work on the coupe, which has a very bulbousy rear. It works well on the sedan because it has a flat trunk/bumper that aligns well with the spoiler.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:07 PM

Default Re: Civic 2D Mugen-Type Spoiler (elohel)

lol, yeh, i figured that out even before my purchase. I work at a Honda Dealership and always see the Mugen. I would like to have a car like the mugen, but i agree, the spoiler was actually meant for a 4Dr as even the instructions of the spoiler will show a sedan. But "hey, why not shoot for it" i said, so i just got it and installed it. I'm just waiting for the next part, a body kit. i liked the style, and hey, saved me the labor and did it myself.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elohel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry but I think that looks absolutely awful That kind of spoiler doesn't work on the coupe, which has a very bulbousy rear. It works well on the sedan because it has a flat trunk/bumper that aligns well with the spoiler.</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2.. it looks wierd.. i think the only spoiler that should be on the coupe is the ex trunk spoiler.. it much cleaner imo
Old 04-19-2008, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic 2D Mugen-Type Spoiler (knaira112387)

Now all you need is some bling staggered wheels, a wide body kit, some ebay headlight/tails, NAAWWWZZ, a WAY bigger exhaust tip, a whole lot of gauges and you're set.

Nice write up tho.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Civic 2D Mugen-Type Spoiler (24boosted)

lol, that's the plan! yeh, slowly building up so, i kno things will look weird from the beginning, but hey, it's almost there.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 24boosted &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now all you need is some bling staggered wheels, a wide body kit, some ebay headlight/tails, NAAWWWZZ, a WAY bigger exhaust tip, a whole lot of gauges and you're set.

Nice write up tho. </TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by irnhyd889 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol, that's the plan! yeh, slowly building up so, i kno things will look weird from the beginning, but hey, it's almost there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh lord.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:55 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by irnhyd889 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol, that's the plan! yeh, slowly building up so, i kno things will look weird from the beginning, but hey, it's almost there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

he was being sarcastic... but, i for one have already said
most people on this forum dont think outside the box, thats why they drive cookie cutter vehicles that look alike. good job on doing your own thing!
Old 04-19-2008, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Civic 2D Mugen-Type Spoiler (SIVIC 3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIVIC 3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

most people on this forum dont think outside the box, thats why they drive cookie cutter vehicles that look alike. good job on doing your own thing! </TD></TR></TABLE>
cookie cutter car??? everybody has a cookie cutter car.

perfect example. 92-95 civic hatch (eg6) lowered, rota gt3, ctr front lip, yellow foglights, cf hood. oh and a b16a to go with it.

thats a real cookie cutter car.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Civic 2D Mugen-Type Spoiler (i-VTEC_DOHC)

posted up another update guys... lol
Old 04-19-2008, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic 2D Mugen-Type Spoiler (i-VTEC_DOHC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by i-VTEC_DOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
cookie cutter car??? everybody has a cookie cutter car.

perfect example. 92-95 civic hatch (eg6) lowered, rota gt3, ctr front lip, yellow foglights, cf hood. oh and a b16a to go with it.

thats a real cookie cutter car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I personally don't care for bubbles, but they are popular "cookie cutter" cars because they look clean...unlike the car in the pictures.

He should have just made the wing out of cardboard and saved a lot of money. The best part of this thread, is the pride the OP has in his hack job. The inside of the trunk looks horrible. And so does the outside.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic 2D Mugen-Type Spoiler (FG2quick)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FG2quick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

oh lord.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess I wasn't sarcastic enough for some of the sl.o.w...e.....r members. lol
Old 04-19-2008, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Civic 2D Mugen-Type Spoiler (2008fijibluesi)

well, i guess a lot of this was worth a try right? just someone having fun with what i got, screwing around and doing what i can. not exactly looking for the best job in the world, i am not a professional. i'm just another damn kid playing with cars, sure some kids do better than i do, but, got passion?

idk guys, i'm not looking for the best opinion, just looking at what i do to my car gives me satisfaction that "Hey, i did this **** myself." i'm pretty sure most people who have experience would've [freak]ed up on their when they were young.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:02 PM

the two biggest drawbacks in my opinion are :
1: the "hackjob" on the trunk you did with your dremel.
2: i noticed on the ebay link, the wing is made of plastic?? thats why its so lite.

other than that, it doesnt LOOK any worse than the rsx with the dc5 wing.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Civic 2D Mugen-Type Spoiler (SIVIC 3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIVIC 3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

most people on this forum dont think outside the box, thats why they drive cookie cutter vehicles that look alike. good job on doing your own thing! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Kinda hard NOT to drive a 'cookie cutter' vehicle when you drive a civic, one of the most mass-produced vehicles on the road. I guess if cutting holes in your trunk to install a spoiler that looks ridiculous on the car (sorry op, but it does) makes you unique, then I guess I'd rather be common.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elohel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Kinda hard NOT to drive a 'cookie cutter' vehicle when you drive a civic, one of the most mass-produced vehicles on the road. I guess if cutting holes in your trunk to install a spoiler that looks ridiculous on the car (sorry op, but it does) makes you unique, then I guess I'd rather be common.</TD></TR></TABLE>

absolutely!

"ME TOO" cars are popular because they are good cars. Civics (and Hondas in general) are reliable, economic, and general cheap cars. There is a reason that Chevy Cavaliers or Saturn SC1s aren't "me too" cars.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic 2D Mugen-Type Spoiler (FG2quick)

I dont know why you'd hack up the trunk since you still have to get the holes for the EX oem wing filled anyhow
better off just having the bodyshop do everything in one shot.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:04 PM

ive seen other FG's with this mugen-esque wing. looks ok for now, keep at it man
for goin against the grain
Old 04-20-2008, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic 2D Mugen-Type Spoiler (Fueler^)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fueler^ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive seen other FG's with this mugen-esque wing. looks ok for now, keep at it man
for goin against the grain</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm all for being unique, but "going against the grain" isn't always the best way to go.

There is a reason that certain "looks" are popular...because they look good.

Quick Reply: Civic 2D Mugen-Type Spoiler