Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Big brake kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big brake kit

Lookin for a big brake kit dont know what kind i should go with?? Any suggestions????
Old 01-10-2009, 09:59 PM
K5^
Brand New

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Big brake kit

Do you really need a bbk? If you're going for looks, I'd just spend that money elsewhere, like an exhaust you mentioned in one of your threads.

If you tracked your car, you really don't need such an upgrade. From a performance perspective, all one needs are good pads and better brake fluid, even stock rotors will suffice.

The only bbk for our cars I know of is the brembo gt kit that ChargedSi's running, these go for 2k+ I believe.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:03 PM

Oh damn.. 2k.. So i should rock with hfp rotors and brakes then right???? Im lookin ahead for when i gotta change brakes
Old 01-10-2009, 10:08 PM
K5^
Brand New

Haha. Brembo kit's are not cheap. I haven't heard from anyone on here about the HFP brakes, but I'd imagine they work well.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:10 PM

I seen them on collegehillshonda.com theyre not even that expensive , i been searchin in the dealers around wher i live and theyre way more money than college hills...
Old 01-10-2009, 10:11 PM

Do the brembos come with stainless steel brake lines as well though or not????or is it just rotors pads and kalipers??
Old 01-10-2009, 10:17 PM
K5^
Brand New

Take a look for yourself.
http://www.procivic.com/pages-produc...brake-kit.html
Old 01-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Tickle-shits

Look man, i'll give you a piece of advice, unless you are running 400+hp a BBK is worthless, Earls braded steel lines, powerslot rotors and EBC red stuff pads is just about all you need on the track.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by tokyosmash!
look man, i'll give you a piece of advice, unless you are running 400+hp a bbk is worthless, earls braded steel lines, powerslot rotors and ebc red stuff pads is just about all you need on the track.
.. True i realized that,, i think im just gonna rock with the hfp braking system, but im gonna use different pads probably ebc green stuff pads,(thats what i used on the ep3 i had)..
Old 01-11-2009, 04:19 PM

Unless you'll be tracking your car, I suggest upgrading to stainless steel brake lines, high temp brake fluid and more aggressive brake pads if you want improved braking for your DD. That's it!
Old 01-11-2009, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by nexx
unless you'll be tracking your car, i suggest upgrading to stainless steel brake lines, high temp brake fluid and more aggressive brake pads if you want improved braking for your dd. That's it!
cool thanx , thats what im gonna do and im gonna get the hfp rotors, as far the brake pads , thats what im gonna get the ebc's green stuff theyre pretty good ..(expensive but good). Gotta see who's got the stainless steel brake lines.. Any suggestions where i can get them from???
Old 01-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by COCA GROUND ASSAULT NY
Lookin for a big brake kit dont know what kind i should go with?? Any suggestions????
Here's an idea:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...643&highlight=

Unless you are turning your civic into a full blown race car, you don't need a big brake kit or slotted rotors. The big brake kit is major overkill and therefore a waste of money. The slotted rotors will only cause you to burn through brake pads much faster.

If you want to upgrade your brakes, all you need to do is switch out the pads and the brake fluid. For the pads, your best bet would be Hawk HPS pads. Or, if you plan on tracking your car any, you could use the Hawk HP+ pads. I wouldn't recommend the HP+ pads for regular driving though since they are louder and produce a good bit more dust when braking. I use the Hawk HPS pads on my Si and they work great on track and driving around town. For fluid, any high temperature brake fluid will work.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by chiggin
here's an idea:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...643&highlight=

unless you are turning your civic into a full blown race car, you don't need a big brake kit or slotted rotors. The big brake kit is major overkill and therefore a waste of money. The slotted rotors will only cause you to burn through brake pads much faster.

If you want to upgrade your brakes, all you need to do is switch out the pads and the brake fluid. For the pads, your best bet would be hawk hps pads. Or, if you plan on tracking your car any, you could use the hawk hp+ pads. I wouldn't recommend the hp+ pads for regular driving though since they are louder and produce a good bit more dust when braking. I use the hawk hps pads on my si and they work great on track and driving around town. For fluid, any high temperature brake fluid will work.
. Hawk hp pads??? Are they better than the ebc green stuff???
Old 01-13-2009, 04:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Agreed with most of the comments where unless it's going to be a racecar you dont really need a BBK.. IF you still decide to find one that's cost effective.. look for used DC5Rs Brembos... they usually go for $700~ $800 for all 4.. and the rear will bolt right on but you'd need to use S2000 front rotors to bold-on the front caliper... I'm using this set-up on my FG racecar.. however, u'd need at least 17X8 +38 wheels to clear the front..
Old 01-13-2009, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by rockstar rx8
agreed with most of the comments where unless it's going to be a racecar you dont really need a bbk.. If you still decide to find one that's cost effective.. Look for used dc5rs brembos... They usually go for $700~ $800 for all 4.. And the rear will bolt right on but you'd need to use s2000 front rotors to bold-on the front caliper... I'm using this set-up on my fg racecar.. However, u'd need at least 17x8 +38 wheels to clear the front..
...ok i got ya,,, i got 20's on mine so it would make the clearence ,but im just gonna do the hfp brake system but with the ebc green stuff pads instead of the honda pads....
Old 01-13-2009, 11:13 AM

for those tractor wheels you MUST.....I SAY MUST.....upgrade to the BIG brake kits.........imagine the torque and the RPM generated from those "Humongous " wheels.........LOL.....LOL....LOL.......LOL
Old 01-13-2009, 11:43 AM

Do the brembos come with stainless steel brake lines as well though or not????or is it just rotors pads and kalipers??
Yes, kit comes with Stainless Steel Lines, special fluid, Calipers, rotors (slotted or drilled) and high performance pads (which dust like crazy). HUGE difference in braking power, but as someone else mentioned, not really needed unless you do autocross races.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:07 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

http://fastbrakes.com/shop/index.php

Check these brakes out. I disagree with people saying you don't need rotors. Take your car out for a 5 minute hard session on a back twisty road and you can beat up the stock rotors. They are not made or have a design with cooling ducts for repetative hard stops and big wheels and tires are much more stressful on stock brakes. It's not the size of the wheels that make the brakes work harder, but the weight. Each pound you add to the spinning components of the wheels and tires make your brakes work much harder.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by civicguru
for those tractor wheels you must.....i say must.....upgrade to the big brake kits.........imagine the torque and the rpm generated from those "humongous " wheels.........lol.....lol....lol.......lol
thats the reason i wanted to get it cus the rims.... Lol
Old 01-13-2009, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by ajpturbopittsburgh
http://fastbrakes.com/shop/index.php

check these brakes out. I disagree with people saying you don't need rotors. Take your car out for a 5 minute hard session on a back twisty road and you can beat up the stock rotors. They are not made or have a design with cooling ducts for repetative hard stops and big wheels and tires are much more stressful on stock brakes. It's not the size of the wheels that make the brakes work harder, but the weight. Each pound you add to the spinning components of the wheels and tires make your brakes work much harder.
i know exactly what u mean , i had cross drilled and slotted rotors wit ebc green stuff pads on my ep3 and i did notice the difference compared tothe stocks.....
Old 01-14-2009, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats the reason i wanted to get it cus the rims.... Lol
oh so you are going for the bling factor since you have a set of 20s... well FYI it's not the size of the wheels, it's the offset of the wheels that determines if a set of BBK would clear.. just curious what type of wheels u have?
Old 01-14-2009, 07:32 AM

i wanna see a picture of your car w/ 20's for epic lulz.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:48 AM
K5^
Brand New

Originally Posted by SIVIC 3
i wanna see a picture of your car w/ 20's for epic lulz.
Here you are sir.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:19 PM

yup there it is....thanx k5 for savin me the time..
Old 01-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not the size of the wheels that make the brakes work harder, but the weight. Each pound you add to the spinning components of the wheels and tires make your brakes work much harder.
You obviously haven't heard of inertia. More specifically, rotational inertia. The weight does play a part, but the size of the wheel also makes stopping/acceleration more work. Take a look at this article......very informative:

http://www.motortrend.com/features/1...els/index.html

I disagree with people saying you don't need rotors. Take your car out for a 5 minute hard session on a back twisty road and you can beat up the stock rotors. They are not made or have a design with cooling ducts for repetative hard stops and big wheels and tires are much more stressful on stock brakes
A 5 minute hard session is no where near enough to cause any kind of damage to the stock rotors. If you are out romping on the brakes, your stock brake fluid will boil causing brake fade long before your rotors experience any kind of damage. I went through an entire track weekend (much harder braking than the 'twisties') with my stock Si rotors and they are still ok today.

Hawk hp pads??? Are they better than the ebc green stuff???
I haven't had any experience with the ebc pads, but everyone I know uses Hawk pads. That's got to say something.

Quick Reply: Big brake kit