Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Best Coilovers - Ride Quality

Old 08-31-2009, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Coilovers - Ride Quality

Hey guys, I did a few searches and didn't really come up with too many FA specific threads.

I'm wondering, what coilovers produce the best ride quality, lowered around 2-3 inches for the 2006 civic sedan? Preferably for under $1k

Let me know what you think....I had my eyes on the skunk 2 full coilover system.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best Coilovers - Ride Quality

i went with the Skunk2 Pro-S coilover setup. same price range. im thinking abt returning my car to stock soon so they might be up for sale
Old 08-31-2009, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Megan racing has adjustable coilovers for ~$900 shipped.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:33 AM

May not be entirely shared but when I think of comfort and ride quality, the last thing I think about is performance oriented coilovers. I don't know... Unless you're in the market to push your car as in taking it to the track, you're probably better off getting a good set of affordable springs + dampers and calling it a day. I'm not a fan of dropping $1000+ on a suspension to drive from home and work. Functional efficient application > Brand name hype. Anyways, with that said:

My friend had a set of Tein SS and aside from providing a better profile because of the lower drop, comfort and performance (in my opinion at least) was lacking compared to the cheaper HFP kit. Coilover was stiff (no surprise there) even at the softest setting. Some members at (another website) can attest that brand name often doesn't always equate to performance and ride quality. Costwise, it's going to be tough finding a good functional coilovers for under $1000. Megan has their performance series coilovers for just under $1000 but I don't have any riding experience with them.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:33 AM
NO MERCY!

Originally Posted by Mr. Nickels
Hey guys, I did a few searches and didn't really come up with too many FA specific threads.

I'm wondering, what coilovers produce the best ride quality, lowered around 2-3 inches for the 2006 civic sedan? Preferably for under $1k

Let me know what you think....I had my eyes on the skunk 2 full coilover system.
For a 2-3 inch drop.....probably none. You'll want to pay attention to the spring rate on the coilover springs among other things. The stock spring rates on the Si are about 3.5kg front and 4kg rear. Skunk2 Pro-C and Pro-S utilize 12kg front and 10kg rear spring rates so they are extremely stiff. And even softening up the dampening on the Pro-C won't help you.

However you can actually order softer spring rates from Skunk2 for about $30 bucks a pair if you already own their setup. I switched my front to an 8kg and left the rears at 10kg.

Not the most comfortable ride in the world....but still better than what I originally had on the setup.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:46 AM
Tickle-shits

If you're looking for ride quality when buying coilovers you should just keep your car stock.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^i think really depends on what your definition of good ride quality is. you can have a lowered car that has good ride quality if you use the correct parts. if you want factory ride quality then i agree with you that it should stay stock but not everyone is talking about factory quality
Old 09-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The HFP coil overs are a good set-up, cheaper than most aftermarket systems and comes with factory warranty. It will only drop your vehicle about an inch, but ride quality is a little stiffer than stock and not back breaking.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:53 AM

I'm used to a bad ride...I'm just looking for the system that sacrifices ride quality the least. I'm not looking for a stock ride.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BC N+
Old 09-01-2009, 03:01 PM
K5^
Brand New

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OUT OF ORDER ROB
BC N+
That will definitely give a substantial drop, but I'm not sure about the ride quality.

I'd do what Rico suggested and opt for optional springs when ordering any quality coilover kit.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by OUT OF ORDER ROB
BC N+
bc doesn't make the n+; buddy club does. they're 2 different brands.

Originally Posted by K5^
That will definitely give a substantial drop, but I'm not sure about the ride quality.

I'd do what Rico suggested and opt for optional springs when ordering any quality coilover kit.
there's a big thread on 8th civic about the buddy club n+ and people are saying that they've been able to get the ride quality pretty close to stock even with a 2-3 inch drop. you can adjust the preload on the springs, and the shocks/struts are stiffness adjustable too, so you have a pretty much unlimited amount of adjustment as far as stiffness and ride quality. of course, if you make the suspension too soft it won't handle as good as when it's stiff.

i have the n+ and think they're awesome. the only shitty thing is that it's kinda a pita adjusting the spring preload and height in the back on our cars. i have mine semi-stiff and like the ride quality and handling .
Old 09-04-2009, 06:29 AM

I have tien and it doesn't seem to bad
Old 09-04-2009, 07:08 AM
K5^
Brand New

Vladd: are you happy with your settings?

Also I find it somewhat unnecessary for coilovers. Sure they have several degrees of freedom for spring preload and dampening, but once you find that optimal setting should you not have the car corner balanced to ensure proper and equal weight distribution among all four corners? Once you have that done, any adjustments to the coilovers will disturb this balance, meaning you would have to corner balance your car again. I find it completely useful up until you find the exact balance of settings, but beyond that I don't see their practicality. Don't get me wrong, I love the adjustability they offer, but it just may not be worth it to me.

Last edited by K5^; 09-07-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i liked my settings at first but i want to lower the back a little more to even it out with the front, i also might increase the preload in the back when i adjust the height. i do like the ride quality though, it's a pretty nice balance between performance and comfort.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:04 PM

I've been using my Full D2 Coilovers for over a year now. This set-up was first on my 2007 Si Sedan, Then bought an 09 coupe which I now have them on. 36 Way Adjustable, built in camber plates, only paid 800.. IMO they ride very well.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:09 PM
K5^
Brand New

I do not believe in anything more than eight or ten way adjustable dampening when it comes to any sort of suspension set up, coilover or spring/strut combo. There's not need for it, besides, most of the time kits are marketed as 36-way adjustable when they are really only 12- or 16-way.

I also do not believe in any 'quality' c/o system less than a $1000.

Call me cynical but that's just me.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

d2's are in the same category as megan and k-sport, i've always heard to stay away from those 3. i agree, just cuz they're "36 way adjustable" doesn't make them any better than something that's 8 or 16 way adjustable.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

skunk 2 are STIFF
Old 09-12-2009, 07:11 PM

I have a Ep and its way different the the new civic but I would say get koni yellows and get ground control coilovers. Find out what you stock spring rate are and search to see if you need a diffrent sping size if you will drop it. This way you will keep your ride quality and you can have it low and it will coast you around about 900.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got skunk2 pro-s full bodys and they are kinda rough but not too bad.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:54 AM

^^ i have the same setup pro-s its stiff but to me kinda harsh only bc i live in massachusettes and the roads here are horrible but on a nice paved road.. they ride nice.. but im currently looking for a new setup for next yr.. prob, megan or d2s.. but have no clue why its 35 or 36 way adjustables imo theres no need for all of it..
Old 09-18-2009, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fijifa5978
^^ i have the same setup pro-s its stiff but to me kinda harsh only bc i live in massachusettes and the roads here are horrible but on a nice paved road.. they ride nice.. but im currently looking for a new setup for next yr.. prob, megan or d2s.. but have no clue why its 35 or 36 way adjustables imo theres no need for all of it..
if you're going to upgrade then get something worth upgrading to. d2's, megans, and k-sport are all known to be of poor build quality and not very stiff.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by vladd
if you're going to upgrade then get something worth upgrading to. d2's, megans, and k-sport are all known to be of poor build quality and not very stiff.
yeah i know ive been looking into those suspension and your right.. my cousin just picked up a set of tein flex for the si's ..and theyre pretty good.. but its outta my price range so.. ive heard buddy club n+ are worth it and isnt as much as the flex's
Old 09-19-2009, 08:41 AM
Road House

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fijifa5978
What do you plan on doing for the winter? My Si at stock height is a snowplow some days.

Trying to drive 30+ miles on an unpaved highway FTL.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Coilovers - Ride Quality