Are all 8G Civic sedan front LCAs the same? - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Are all 8G Civic sedan front LCAs the same?

Old 12-22-2018, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Are all 8G Civic sedan front LCAs the same?

Looking at buying replacement front LCAs for my '08 Si sedan.

RockAuto has some listed for the Si, but the description only lists the other trims (see screenshot below).

Looking at HondaPartsNow, the Si front LCA has a different part number than the ones for the other trims (DX, EX, LX). Maybe the front sway bar link mount is different? Or possibly the bushings? Or maybe these Ultra-Power brand ones will fit the Si just fine. They all look identical, and eBay lists theirs as compatible with all trims.

Thoughts?

Last edited by ApexEight; 12-22-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:18 AM
Intelligently Stupid

Default Re: Are all 8G Civic sedan front LCAs the same?

If OEM sites lists a different number, then there is a difference of some sort.

The 8th Gen SI is a K series motor while all the other trims are an R series motor. This could change the sway bar which in turn could move the link placement etc.

As for what the difference is, I'm not sure. I only have the SI and have not done anything with the other trims to date.

Doing a search I found this on the 8thgen forum:

Performance

K20Z3 motor
6 speed trans
LSD
front and rear sway bars
larger exhaust
sprts muffler
NSX style mufffler tip
S2k front brake rotors
stiffer and lower struts and springs
larger front drive axles
stronger knuckes and a arms
factory tq dampner (arm from engine mount to strut tower on passenger side)
stronger end links
additional chassis reinforcment
mine personally came with summer tires
EGO
It looks like the Si got stronger parts, so fitment might be the same but strength design is not between the trims.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

TomCat39 Thanks for the reply. I've compared images of LCAs listed for the Si and non-Sis on RockAuto some more, and I've identified two consistent differences. First, is the compliance bushing design. Bushings for both trims have small "air gaps" to allow the sleeves to deflect, but the ones on the Si are smaller, which makes sense, given that is the sportier trim, and less deflection leads to a sportier ride. Second, is the design of the sway bar end-link bracket design. The geometry is slightly different. I see no differences that would lead to one arm being stronger than the other. Maybe "stronger A-arms" is just a broad reference to the sportier compliance bushings. Though part numbers for the compliance bushings are the same across trims, as are ball joints... So what do I know? Lol.

Links to pics:
Non-Si: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...120&cc=1441749
Si: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...864&cc=1441749
Old 12-23-2018, 09:33 PM
Intelligently Stupid

It could be the material used in contruction that changes tensile strength. i.e. forged instead of cast or welded reinforcement in one and not the other, etc.

Also that was said on the other forum without any backing so really is just hearsay. However, the difference in part numbers for OEM part sites would indicate there is a difference, just a matter of what.

Your other research indicates that fitment should be the same though for the arms you are looking at.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For anyone searching about this in the future: https://m.facebook.com/groups/4902647091?view=permalink&id=10156737934482092

I was wrong, the Si LCAs have a reinforcement tabs welded on the arm around the compliance bushing. End link brackets are definitely different, beefier for the Si. I'll most likely purchase the Ultra-Power brand LCAs from RockAuto. They aren't listed under the Si though, you have to go under the R18 to find them, but their descriptions clearly say they're for the Si, so Idk what RockAuto is doing there. Based on Ultra-Power's pictures on RockAuto, their Si arms are actually Si arms, and their non-Si arms are actually non-Si arms. They come with bushings pressed in, as well as ball joints. I'll be replacing the ball joints with Moog Problem Solvers though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: