Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

AC compressor not turning on

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC compressor not turning on

I have been without AC for over a month in Arizona. Help please. A little over a month ago, my car broke down. I’ll try and keep this as short and as detailed as possible.

At first my car car started to make a weird knocking noise. I couldn’t figure it out, but when the car would run for a bit it made a loud blow/hiss noise.

I took of the belt off and started the car, and the knocking noise stopped. I believe it was the ac compressor that was making the noise. So I got the ac compressor replaced. The noise was still there, so I took it to a shop. Told them my whole story, they diagnosed it and said it was the tensioner. I paid 600 dollars for them to replace that. They gave me the car back and said the noise will still be there because the AC compressor has no Freon. I got the car filled with Freon. The noise was still there, then it made the blow/hiss noise again while driving.

I got home and realized the ac compressor was on even though I had the AC off on the heater control inside the car. I also forgot to mention during all this my battery would die after about 10 hours of not driving. I did some research and people suggested the heater control being bad. I unplugged it, and the ac compressor turned off, I have had it unplugged for about a week while I waited for my new one in the mail. Battery never died and had no noise with the ac compressor off. Car ran perfect.

I got my heater control yesterday and installed it. Turned the ac on, now the AC compressor doesn’t turn on at all. I have spent a bit 1000 dollars in this past month to get ac, if anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you
Old 07-15-2018, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AC compressor not turning on

Update: I checked the relay and it seems to be good. I swapped it with other relays to check. I pulled the relay and jumped terminal 3-5 and I got from a diagram from someone else that suggested. The ac clutch kicked on. It doesn’t seem to be the relay though, because I did swap it with another and nothing happened
Old 07-15-2018, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

A/c relay stuck on would've caused the battery to die, i would replace the relay to start. The hissing noise is coming from the compressor BOV, when the compressor is constantly running and doesn't disengage it builds pressure causing it to release refrigerant.
Is it wet and oily on the bottom of the compressor any signs?
also if to mutch refrigerant was lost the a/c compressor will not engage
Old 07-15-2018, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Also a stuck on relay would've kept the compressor running, even if you had it off on the climate control unit in the car. Just replace it anyways
Old 07-16-2018, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update; I ordered the relay, it will be here tomorrow. I do not think it is the relay though, because I did replace it with another one and nothing happened.

i have also noticed my condenser fan does not turn on when I turn my ac on.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:15 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

its possible you have a leak which would explain the hissing noise

have a reputable shop check for leaks

​​​​​​
Old 07-16-2018, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
its possible you have a leak which would explain the hissing noise

have a reputable shop check for leaks

​​​​​​
i doubt there is a leak. The hiss noise was just real quick. And like the guy that stated it was from high pressure and it blowing out.

so basically a month ago, I couldn’t get the ac clutch to turn off. Did some research and some people found it to be the HCU, bought one on eBay. While waiting for my HCU, I disconnected the current one to stop my ac compressor from running, and ultimately stop my battery from getting drained. Got the new HCU, installed it and now the AC compressor doesn’t turn on at all.

I have jumpered it at the relay and it does click on.