Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

06 Civic trunk won't pop open!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 03:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 06 Civic trunk won't pop open!

Sad how Honda is cheaping out lately...I too am uneasy that the trunk lock could fail and become stuck.

In my previous 6th gen Civic / Acura EL there is a metal lock cylinder right on the rear seat shelf where a key inserted and fold down the seats. It connects directly to the latch and made of metal so there is minimal chance of failing.

This is in addition to the front driver side lever + remote fob so there are 3 options to get in to the trunk area.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jeremyWA
06 civic, tried broom handle, had stuff in trunk blocking. here's what i did- need 10mm socket, and 12mm racheting wrench, and a flat head screw driver. Pull up on front of butt cushion to unhook/ release clips. there will be one 10mm bolt holding the cushion in. It will be left of center between back and butt cushion. remove cushion. now between the two back cushions there is one 12mm bolt holding the two seats together (it is facing left to right side ways) remove bolt and pry apart with flat head. now at this point you may be able to fit your hand up to the seat release lever. i couldn't so i removed one 10mm bolt from the far left lower braket on seat. then the whole seat folded up and it was easy to pull the seat release. i just took out the left smaller seat, it was just less seat to deal with. good luck, can add pics if needed
My daughter 06 civic just had this issue. I followed the instructions, I was able to move the seat enough to reach the latch. I wish I took pictures to help, but the 40% seat back is passenger side. If you go straight up, you can feel the release cable. Follow it to the driver side till you feel bare cable, then a little farther and you will feel the latch. Move it till it releases.
One other note, on hers, it looked like the screws broke. I was able to drill them out and use small machine screws and nuts to put it back together.
Not sure if the mounting ears is what breaks or if she got lucky and it was just screws. If it is just screws, then the machine screws may be a good mod to prevent it from happening.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:51 AM
Trial User

I have the same problem now. I pulled the release lever and nothing happens. No clue as to how I can get in. I don't have a fob just a key. So someone help me out
Old 06-23-2019, 06:19 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by jeremyWA
06 civic, tried broom handle, had stuff in trunk blocking. here's what i did- need 10mm socket, and 12mm racheting wrench, and a flat head screw driver. Pull up on front of butt cushion to unhook/ release clips. there will be one 10mm bolt holding the cushion in. It will be left of center between back and butt cushion. remove cushion. now between the two back cushions there is one 12mm bolt holding the two seats together (it is facing left to right side ways) remove bolt and pry apart with flat head. now at this point you may be able to fit your hand up to the seat release lever. i couldn't so i removed one 10mm bolt from the far left lower braket on seat. then the whole seat folded up and it was easy to pull the seat release. i just took out the left smaller seat, it was just less seat to deal with. good luck, can add pics if needed
Can I see them
Old 10-24-2019, 01:54 PM
Trial User

I have a 2006 Civic EX and had a similar problem, here's how I gained access to the trunk from the backseat.
1) using an extension and socket , remove 10 mm bolt securing seat cushion between seat cushion and backrests, it is close to the space between the backrests. Pull up on the front of the seat cushion and remove it.
2) using a box end wrench , remove 12 mm bolt at base of backrests. It is the Pivot Point between the backrests.
3) remove the back plastic rear side panel. Unscrew the plastic screw at the base of the right backrest securing the trim panel to the floor.. Start near the rear of the passenger door and pull the panel away from the side of the vehicle, detaching the clips securing it.
4) remove the bolt securing the plate at the base of the right back rest, this plate has a pivot point on it for the right side of the right backrest. Pull the base of the right backrest out, reaching in with your arm and undo the backrest latch at the top. This will allow the folding down of the seat and access to the trunk area. You should now be able to undo the trunk latch with your hand.
Old 01-27-2024, 02:05 PM
Trial User

SAVED THE NIGHT!!! easy to do took me 5min tops to get in the trunk. Thank you so much, 15yr old post saved me thanks again.