Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

06 Civic trunk won't pop open!

Old 05-03-2008, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Civic trunk won't pop open!

Anybody had this problem before? I think it happened when I took my sisters to do laundry. I tried using trunk release button on my remote and i keep hearing the trunk unlatch but just won't pop open. So I went inside to try and unlatch it and it didn't work either. So I'm stuck with a trunk that won't open with some of my work supplies in it on a weekend. Is there any way I can access the trunk by folding my rear seats down? I know the latch to fold it down is located in the trunk. But is there any other way. Shame on Honda for not having a way to access the trunk through the inside! I know my old 96 Civic had the key that made the rear seats fold in...
Old 05-03-2008, 07:11 PM

Default Re: 06 Civic trunk won't pop open! (hiphopmenace)

I'm not sure if this would work or not, but try pressing the trunk release button on your key while pulling on the trunk (as if you're trying to open it by hand).
Old 05-04-2008, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 06 Civic trunk won't pop open! (BlaqkAudio)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlaqkAudio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not sure if this would work or not, but try pressing the trunk release button on your key while pulling on the trunk (as if you're trying to open it by hand). </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's a good suggestion.

Did your trunk somehow get locked? There is the lock for the trunk right by its release inside the car. Did you (or someone) lock that, as if they were giving the car to a valet? Just a thought and I know you probably tried it already, but if you didn't, it's a really quick fix.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 06 Civic trunk won't pop open! (2008fijibluesi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2008fijibluesi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That's a good suggestion.

Did your trunk somehow get locked? There is the lock for the trunk right by its release inside the car. Did you (or someone) lock that, as if they were giving the car to a valet? Just a thought and I know you probably tried it already, but if you didn't, it's a really quick fix.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i did that once!! i forgot to unlock it and i thought my trunk latch was broken, but it was just locked. and it did the same exact thing the OP posted.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:19 PM

thanks for your help guys. i've tried all that you guys suggested but it was none of them. actually it was the latch. it was somewhat jammed. if i slam the trunk hard, the latch would jam. i had to unscrew the backseat where there was enough space to stick my arm between the seats to find the latch to fold it down and from there i had access to the latch for the trunk. i actually didn't fix it. my friend that works at Honda did. i'll probably grease it up so it won't get jammed. btw, if it ever happens to you. find a kid or guy with skinny arms to stick their arm through the seats. you can get your hand stuck unless you unscrew the seat so there's more space in between.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hiphopmenace)

why dont you take it to a dealer to have it looked at....sounds like warrenty would cover that
Old 05-04-2008, 06:31 PM

i would but it happened over the weekend and i need the stuff in my trunk for work by monday. i will take it to the dealer that my homie works at to see if i need to replace any of the parts. i called the dealership on saturday and they said they do not do any service on the weekend and it would cost me $90 just for them to look at it.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:14 AM
zid

Default Re: (hiphopmenace)

It happens to me sometimes after it rains and the water dries and makes the seals stick together. Just push the button and pull gently.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:14 PM

Default Re: 06 Civic trunk won't pop open! (2008fijibluesi)

i don;t get what the point of a valet lock is.....if you're locking your trunk....but the valet guy who has your key can simply unlock it next to the lever for the trunk release....

anywyas, I"m having the same trouble:

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums...37835

CAn anyone help me do what this guy did? unscrew the seat enough to stick his hand in there to get to the release lever. to fold his seats down...then go in the trunk and pop the trunk open....

Thanks!!!!!

Modified by chiquito at 1:05 AM 5/29/2008
Old 05-29-2008, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 06 Civic trunk won't pop open! (chiquito)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chiquito &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i don;t get what the point of a valet lock is.....if you're locking your trunk....but the valet guy who has your key can simply unlock it next to the lever for the trunk release....</TD></TR></TABLE>
As for the valet you use your regular key to lock the trunk release on the floor then you give the valet the valet key. The valet key only works on the doors and the ignition. So you put all you valuables in the truck and lock it.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:43 PM

Default Re: 06 Civic trunk won't pop open! (rolow)

when you unlock it on the fuel door tab.trunk lid next to the driver's side seat, there has to be a click sound before it will fully engage. If it's locked with your keys, not even the key dob remote would unlock it.
If that doesn't work, then the line that hooks up to the hook on the trunk to keep it locked might have snapped.
Warranty will cover it.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:46 PM

Default Re: 06 Civic trunk won't pop open!

The trunk latch can break with little force and you are locked out. No way to get in without removing the seat. If you have a flat you are out of luck. I am pushing for a recall after spending 200 at dealer on my 2006 Civic with 36k miles. I am looking for others with this problem. Please email me with details.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:56 AM
New User

My 2006 Honda Civic trunk will not open either. The dealer told me they would have to break the back seat to get into the trunk. My vehicle is out of warranty, thus it would cost me a lot of cash to replace the broken back seat. I think a recall is necessary. I'm reading too many complaints of the same problem. It's a design flaw.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Why do you have to "break" the backseat and then replace them? There are screws to remove them.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:36 PM
New User

You gotta shimmy it just right lol
Old 11-08-2009, 05:00 AM
New User

Originally Posted by hiphopmenace
Anybody had this problem before? I think it happened when I took my sisters to do laundry. I tried using trunk release button on my remote and i keep hearing the trunk unlatch but just won't pop open. So I went inside to try and unlatch it and it didn't work either. So I'm stuck with a trunk that won't open with some of my work supplies in it on a weekend. Is there any way I can access the trunk by folding my rear seats down? I know the latch to fold it down is located in the trunk. But is there any other way. Shame on Honda for not having a way to access the trunk through the inside! I know my old 96 Civic had the key that made the rear seats fold in...
I to had the same problem yesterday Nov 7. I removed the bench seat and unscrew the back seat to remove then reached in to pull the release. Why release is located in the trunk i don't know?. I found out that the trunk release was broken and made of PLASTIC not metal. The emergency release did not work either major safety problem.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:35 AM
New User

I'm having the same problem now. The dealer is taking off the rear seat. It is a terrible design error, not placing the rear seat fold down lever inside the car!
Has anyone complained to Honda about this and has it done any good?
Old 12-23-2009, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ I see what you are saying but if the lever was on the inside, the truck lock and valet key would be pointless. They want to make it so you cannot access the trunk if it's locked, period.

When things like this happen and you're locked out of your tunk, that just sucks all together.. I'd definitely be pissed if Honda charged me anything at all to fix it..
Old 12-23-2009, 08:44 AM
New User

The local dealer was rattling off labor charges, etc., which I intend to argue.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:46 PM
K5^
Brand New

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueIce
^^ I see what you are saying but if the lever was on the inside, the truck lock and valet key would be pointless. They want to make it so you cannot access the trunk if it's locked, period.

When things like this happen and you're locked out of your tunk, that just sucks all together.. I'd definitely be pissed if Honda charged me anything at all to fix it..
I'd rather have it open to valets and have a glove box that has a lock.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:56 PM
Road House

Mine doesn't "pop open", when it hasn't been opened in a while, but it doesn't get "jammed". I just have to lift it up a little, and it then opens on its own.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:57 PM
Road House

Originally Posted by K5^
But those generally look cheap.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:11 PM
K5^
Brand New

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FijiBlueFG2
True story.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K5^
That's what i'm saying.. why doesn't the glove box have a lock?!?
Old 12-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FijiBlueFG2
Yeah in most cases but I'm sure they can make it look good... But then again in an Si Sports model, why would there be a locked glove box lol.. so then it makes sense to not have it..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 Civic trunk won't pop open!