Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Weird situation with E Brake Light On Randomly, Brake Fluid Still Full

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Weird situation with E Brake Light On Randomly, Brake Fluid Still Full

I have a 2002 Civic Ex, I'm not sure what the issue is with the E Brake Lights. It'll come on Randomly for a period of time. I've checked my brake fluids and it's still good. Brake handle obviously in down position.

However I've noticed that when the E Brake Lights are on, it'll affect my Gear lights such as "park, reverse, neutral, and drive"; the gear lights would turn off. Also, While car is off and my door open, my notification noise would not go off if i was to leave the key in the ignition; along with my headlights on I would get no noise sound/notification.

Keep in mind this E Brake Light turns on and off Randomly, because when the E Brake Lights are not on(like they should be), my system turns back to normal, Gear lights turn back on, Notification beep/sound would turn on just as normal.

FYI: When I bought the car from the Owner, it came with an After Market Head Unit. Just thought i'd leave that bit of information in there.

Idk what the issue is, maybe you guys can help. I've tried searching these forums but can't seem to find any situation similar to mines. It would be awesome!! if someone could help me with a solution thanks.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Weird situation with E Brake Light On Randomly, Brake Fluid Still Full

it sounds like you have a very bad wiring problem. check to see if your car is grounded adequately. i would say get your alternator checked out because your guage lights are going crazy, but as soon as you said something about the alert sounds, i was at a loss.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weird situation with E Brake Light On Randomly, Brake Fluid Still Full

Just take the cap off and check your wiring. My 00 Teg did this and the wires were loose.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TTE TEG
Just take the cap off and check your wiring. My 00 Teg did this and the wires were loose.

Keep in mind i'm a tech noob, so which Cap and which wires? I'm assuming the Brake Fluid Cap? as for the wires i'm not sure which wires you're referring to.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by yangf03
Keep in mind i'm a tech noob, so which Cap and which wires? I'm assuming the Brake Fluid Cap? as for the wires i'm not sure which wires you're referring to.

actually what i mean is, being more specific would greatly help me.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do you notice that the ebrake light will come on when you hit a bump, pothole, ext.? I would suggest taking a few pictures ( shifter ebrake and lights) to see how the setup is. there is a **** under the plastic panels where the ebrake is that when its pulled it turns the light on you can adjust this **** accordingly

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 05-28-2013, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Line em' up
do you notice that the ebrake light will come on when you hit a bump, pothole, ext.? I would suggest taking a few pictures ( shifter ebrake and lights) to see how the setup is. there is a **** under the plastic panels where the ebrake is that when its pulled it turns the light on you can adjust this **** accordingly

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
no once the brake light comes on it just stays on. it does this randomly and not when i hit bumps or potholes. it turns off randomly also. Will try to take pictures and post em. FYI: my car is an automatic, not a manual.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the wiring connectors for the E-brake. You are going to half to take off your center console, which is super duper easy. Just search here how to put in a alarm and youll see pics how to remove center console.
The switch might have a loose connection or something, even if its snug just take it out clean it and put is back in.

The only other thing that can trigger this light is low brake fluid or the sensor for the brake fluid within that reservoir. I cannot remember if the float switch is in the cap itself or the reservoir, but if in cap then swap it from a friends civic (the cap of the brake fluid reservoir) and see if it solves issue.