Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Used Ignition switch

Old 03-25-2019, 02:30 PM
Trial User

Default Used Ignition switch

Quick question my mechanic installed a used ignition switch. The locksmith says it cant be programmed. Is there any way to get ton run. ?
Old 03-25-2019, 07:02 PM
MM Gruppe B

Default Re: Used Ignition switch

If you still have the original key just hang it on your key ring. That should work well enough.
If you don't have the original key then go to the Honda dealership with proof of ownership and explain what happened. Programmed key should only be ~ $50.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 03-26-2019, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya put the old key close to the antennae ring. Dangling from the key chain may work but it could be too far away. Those autozone type replacement ignition switches do come with a non-programmed chip key. But you can defeat this anti-theft measure and box the original key. Or program the new key. I just posted about how I replaced my locks the cheap way. Thread is a little ways down the page.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: