Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Transmission Bad ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Bad ?

Hi , I purchased a 2002 Honda Civic. I drove it for literally 10 miles and I felt like the transmission was slipping . I had someone look at it , thought it was the head gasket. I brought it to a shop and they told me it was the valves in the engine which they replaced . It is now still doing the same thing. Once the car gets going the tranny starts slipping , when the engine is cold it runs fine. Is this a bad transmission ? Any ideas ?
Old 07-17-2018, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Transmission Bad ?

Automatic or manual? And what do you specifically mean by the valves in the engine...? Did they replace a bent or burned valve? The EGR valve, maybe? Do you have any check engine codes?

Bad headgaskets and automatic transmissions are really common for this generation. The autos are garbage. The second their internal filter clogs up they will lose all drive. You'll get maybe 10-30 minutes of driving out of it until this occurs. It may also seem like it only does it when warmed up.

A bad headgasket would cause the car to overheat. You will also have a phantom loss of coolant. The coolant reservoir bottle will tend to be overfilled or spill over. You'll also have a weak or non-existent heater. In extreme cases, you may see the coolant and oil mixing, or white/blue/grey smoke out of the exhaust.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is an automatic. We thought it was the head gasket, but I did not see the car over heat and when my mechanic looked at it he said he gasket was fine and that it was the valves, he said that someone didnt drive the car like an adult.

When I first drove the car it drove fine. After about 15 miles.. is when it started slipping then wouldn’t shift at all. When I stopped, coolant came shooting out. We then tested it , put coolant in the radiator and when pressing the gas it would bubble back up . Which is why we thought the gasket .

so anyway , valves replaced and it’s still doing the same thing.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:00 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm lost. The engine and tranny have no correlation. Replacing either the intake or exhaust valves is obviously not going to have an affect on a slipping tranny. You are either misunderstanding him or you are being taken for a ride.