Timing belt too loose on front side and tight on rear - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Timing belt too loose on front side and tight on rear

Old 01-09-2018, 06:29 PM   #1
Honda-Tech Member

Default Timing belt too loose on front side and tight on rear

i did my timing belt/water pump on my 01 civic and put a helicoil on the stripped tensioner bolt hole. I installed the spring and put a pin to hold the 2 holes on the tensioner together then tightened the bolt to 40lbs and removed the pin. But it seems like the belt from the front (exhaust side ) is looser than the right (intake side) feels pretty loose but the rear is tucked tight. I'm scared that it might jump a tooth. Any of you know if that's normal?? the belt on the cam gear feels snug but the part of belt going counter clock wise to the crank shaft feels loose .
Turyem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:49 PM   #2
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Timing belt too loose on front side and tight on rear

did you loosen the tensioner to allow it to tension the belt properly then tighten it back up ?
holmesnmanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:54 PM   #3
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesnmanny View Post
did you loosen the tensioner to allow it to tension the belt properly then tighten it back up ?
Yes i put the spring on before tightening the tensioner
Old 01-09-2018, 10:45 PM   #4
Honda-Tech Member

The tightest part should be between the water pump pulley and the cam gear. It is normal that the long belt gap between the cam gear and the crank gear (at the front as you have described it) to feel more loose than the short run between the water pump and the cam gear. Now, food for thought: Did you, as outlined in the factory service manual, rotate the crank pulley until the camshaft lines up three teeth from horizontal TDC and then torque the tensioner bolt to 40 ft/lbs. ??? If not, properly tension the belt per the FSM and then test the slack in the front side of the belt.
JRCivic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:32 PM   #5
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRCivic1 View Post
The tightest part should be between the water pump pulley and the cam gear. It is normal that the long belt gap between the cam gear and the crank gear (at the front as you have described it) to feel more loose than the short run between the water pump and the cam gear. Now, food for thought: Did you, as outlined in the factory service manual, rotate the crank pulley until the camshaft lines up three teeth from horizontal TDC and then torque the tensioner bolt to 40 ft/lbs. ??? If not, properly tension the belt per the FSM and then test the slack in the front side of the belt.
Ok so now I feel a bit better a buddy of mine told me to keep cranking the car on until I felt the difference I guess when the pistons land on a certain location I feel more tension on the belt then when it lands otherwise.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:06 AM   #6
I like the tuna here

That's 100% not how you rotate the engine over while doing the timing belt.
DumpdEJ6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:14 PM   #7
Honda-Tech Member

DumpdEJ6, are you referring to my explanation or that from the OP ???
Old 01-13-2018, 08:39 AM   #8
I like the tuna here

OP. Unless I'm mistaken, he's trying to tension the timing belt while cranking the engine with the starter. This has potential to slip teeth on the belt and set his pistons and valves up on a blind date.
DumpdEJ6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:56 PM   #9
Honda-Tech Member

Very descriptive... I dig it.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:42 PM   #10
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpdEJ6 View Post
OP. Unless I'm mistaken, he's trying to tension the timing belt while cranking the engine with the starter. This has potential to slip teeth on the belt and set his pistons and valves up on a blind date.
i think he's referring to checking the feel AFTER it has been tensioned...ie bolt tightened
holmesnmanny is offline   Reply With Quote