Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2001-2005-78/)
-   -   Timing belt too loose on front side and tight on rear (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2001-2005-78/timing-belt-too-loose-front-side-tight-rear-3313382/)

Turyem2 01-09-2018 05:29 PM

Timing belt too loose on front side and tight on rear

i did my timing belt/water pump on my 01 civic and put a helicoil on the stripped tensioner bolt hole. I installed the spring and put a pin to hold the 2 holes on the tensioner together then tightened the bolt to 40lbs and removed the pin. But it seems like the belt from the front (exhaust side ) is looser than the right (intake side) feels pretty loose but the rear is tucked tight. I'm scared that it might jump a tooth. Any of you know if that's normal?? the belt on the cam gear feels snug but the part of belt going counter clock wise to the crank shaft feels loose .

holmesnmanny 01-09-2018 05:49 PM

Re: Timing belt too loose on front side and tight on rear

did you loosen the tensioner to allow it to tension the belt properly then tighten it back up ?

Turyem2 01-09-2018 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny (Post 51529736)
did you loosen the tensioner to allow it to tension the belt properly then tighten it back up ?

Yes i put the spring on before tightening the tensioner

JRCivic1 01-09-2018 09:45 PM

The tightest part should be between the water pump pulley and the cam gear. It is normal that the long belt gap between the cam gear and the crank gear (at the front as you have described it) to feel more loose than the short run between the water pump and the cam gear. Now, food for thought: Did you, as outlined in the factory service manual, rotate the crank pulley until the camshaft lines up three teeth from horizontal TDC and then torque the tensioner bolt to 40 ft/lbs. ??? If not, properly tension the belt per the FSM and then test the slack in the front side of the belt.

Turyem2 01-10-2018 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by JRCivic1 (Post 51529818)
The tightest part should be between the water pump pulley and the cam gear. It is normal that the long belt gap between the cam gear and the crank gear (at the front as you have described it) to feel more loose than the short run between the water pump and the cam gear. Now, food for thought: Did you, as outlined in the factory service manual, rotate the crank pulley until the camshaft lines up three teeth from horizontal TDC and then torque the tensioner bolt to 40 ft/lbs. ??? If not, properly tension the belt per the FSM and then test the slack in the front side of the belt.

Ok so now I feel a bit better a buddy of mine told me to keep cranking the car on until I felt the difference I guess when the pistons land on a certain location I feel more tension on the belt then when it lands otherwise.

DumpdEJ6 01-12-2018 04:06 AM

That's 100% not how you rotate the engine over while doing the timing belt.

JRCivic1 01-12-2018 07:14 PM

DumpdEJ6, are you referring to my explanation or that from the OP ??? ;)

DumpdEJ6 01-13-2018 07:39 AM

OP. Unless I'm mistaken, he's trying to tension the timing belt while cranking the engine with the starter. This has potential to slip teeth on the belt and set his pistons and valves up on a blind date.

JRCivic1 01-13-2018 07:56 PM

Very descriptive... I dig it.

holmesnmanny 01-14-2018 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by DumpdEJ6 (Post 51532873)
OP. Unless I'm mistaken, he's trying to tension the timing belt while cranking the engine with the starter. This has potential to slip teeth on the belt and set his pistons and valves up on a blind date.

i think he's referring to checking the feel AFTER it has been tensioned...ie bolt tightened