Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Small coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small coolant leak

Hi I have a 2005 Honda civic ex special edition coupe and have a small coolant leak. It's on the driver side under the car next to the front tire never seen coolant leak on this side of a car. Any ideas on where it could be coming from?. Water pump? Thank you.

After I got home from work last night I went outside about a half hour later and got on the ground to look underneathe and could see a drop of coolant on the bar next to the driver tire and on the bottom corner of the oil pan ( I think it's the oil pan) but still couldn't pin point where it's dripping from.

Was thinking maybe it's the water pump but have been seeing a leak since near the end of winter, not sure how long a water pump would drip coolant before it completely fails

Last edited by ShadowDaisy82; 06-04-2016 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Add more stuff to my post
Old 06-04-2016, 12:47 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Small coolant leak

Go to your local auto parts store and pick up some UV dye put it into the coolant drive car for a day and the location of the leak will be obvious. 94
Old 06-06-2016, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

When was the water pump replaced last? Is this car new to you? Get it look after ASAP.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NDNV
When was the water pump replaced last? Is this car new to you? Get it look after ASAP.
Hi yeah I'm gonna bring it to a shop to get looked at, I'm guessing it's the water pump and if it is i'll get the timing belt changed too. I have no idea when the water pump was changed last no service records for it the car has 143,000 miles on it, I financed this car through a small dealership August 2015
Old 06-11-2016, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Since you don't know the history of the water pump/timing belt I would recommend you get this done ASAP. While you're in there you can look for leaks from other areas.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by carsumo
Since you don't know the history of the water pump/timing belt I would recommend you get this done ASAP. While you're in there you can look for leaks from other areas.
I think I found my leak its wet under the freeze plug behind the engine and the plug opening looks wet also, I also noticed what looks like someone put some kind of leak sealer inside the radiator it's like a silver metallic paste and it looked like I seen some metallic coloring under where the freeze plug is. Maybe they were trying to seal up this problem at some point. I'm gonna have to get it flushed out of there.

Last edited by ShadowDaisy82; 06-11-2016 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Fix something
Old 06-13-2016, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

If you don't know the history of the car, then I think you can put 2 and 2 together to speculate that the previous owner had a coolant leak and tried to fix it with stop leak. Once you get the freeze plug leak fixed you should flush the coolant system to remove the stop leak and potentially any water that may have been added to the system. Water expands and could have caused the freeze plug to leak. Worse case would be cracks in the engine block. Just something to think about and may not be the case here.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NDNV
If you don't know the history of the car, then I think you can put 2 and 2 together to speculate that the previous owner had a coolant leak and tried to fix it with stop leak. Once you get the freeze plug leak fixed you should flush the coolant system to remove the stop leak and potentially any water that may have been added to the system. Water expands and could have caused the freeze plug to leak. Worse case would be cracks in the engine block. Just something to think about and may not be the case here.
I'm gonna have the garage find my leak I thought it was a freeze plug but the thing I was looking at isn't even a freeze plug and it seems to be leaking somewhere above it so I'm thinking it's gonna end up being the water pump since the pump sits right above where I see the wetness