Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

over heating??? HELP!!!

Old 04-04-2007, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default over heating??? HELP!!!

My first post, im at a loss, i was recommended to this site. I have a 2003 ex. My problem is im loosing coolant, from where i dont know. This only happens while driving, hense my problem. My radiator runs dry and my resovoir remains full. I have replaced the radiator, the radiator cap and the thermostat. But still no luck. After filling the radiator it runs perfect for about three days , till it runs dry again. Now as far as the cooling system goes im left with, water pump and hoses i believe. Any help would be appreciated. Also i have dc header, custom cold air intake and exhaust, nothing of which i believe caused the problem. HELP PLEASE!!!
Old 04-05-2007, 12:08 AM
ley

Default Re: over heating??? HELP!!! (jaydee03ex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jaydee03ex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My radiator runs dry </TD></TR></TABLE>

That means 80% of the time leak in hose. As long as you are over heating beacuse of coolant, it shouldn't be an expensive fix. The leak isn't internally in the radiator so your radiator is probably fine as well.

Just get the hose checked out. You can probably check the upper hose yourself
Old 04-05-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Re: over heating??? HELP!!! (ley)

[QUOTE=ley]That means 80% of the time leak in hose.

What about the other 20% of the time?? Theres no milkshake (no oil and coolant mixing) So i dont think its a head gasket. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:19 PM

new development, the coolant in my resevoir is bubbling. coolant is leaking from the front of the engine, no whitesmoke out of the exhaust, no mixture of fluids. Cracked resevoir?? or bad hose?? im replacing the radiator hoses anyway. PLEASE HELP.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jaydee03ex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">new development, the coolant in my resevoir is bubbling. coolant is leaking from the front of the engine, no whitesmoke out of the exhaust, no mixture of fluids. Cracked resevoir?? or bad hose?? im replacing the radiator hoses anyway. PLEASE HELP.</TD></TR></TABLE>

out of the front of the engine???? like out of the block itself???

i would recommend replacing all of the coolant hoses and see if that works.

i don't understand why your radiator runs dry, yet your resevoir stays full... i remember some guy having a similar problem, hang on and i'll try to find the thread about it.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:44 AM

Default Re: over heating??? HELP!!! (petty$rep)

head gasket is blown
Old 04-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: over heating??? HELP!!! (iGGY366)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iGGY366 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">head gasket is blown</TD></TR></TABLE>

he said there was no mixing of the coolant and oil
Old 04-08-2007, 07:17 PM
New User

doesn't sound like a simple coolant leak. have you taken the car in to get diagnosed but a licenced tech?
Old 04-09-2007, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

does your heat go out by anychance? I and a few others have the same problem with coolant going everywhere
Old 04-09-2007, 08:17 AM

Default Re: (theblkrascal)

Definetly noy mixing fluids, my heat and a/c both work great. My coolant isnt leaking from the block, but appears to be coming out of my resovoir, i see bubbles in my resevoir which i know arent supposed to be there. My resevoir also filled itself up. Almost like the flow is backwards. Now i have read that you can have a minor blown head gasket and not mix fluids. All the other signs are that of a blown headgasket, ie resevoir bubbling, filling itself etc. im taking it in today. Will post the results.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jaydee03ex)

yes..please post the outcome because i posted a topic exactly like yours a couple of weeks ago and no luck...

everyone told me it's the headgasket, but i haven't checked it out...

all your problems such as the coolant leak from the reservoir, the bubbling of the coolant...i have all those problems...

i wonder why so many civics are having this problem now...
Old 04-09-2007, 06:37 PM

you don't have to have fluids mixing to have a blown head gasket. this same exact thing happened to me, coolant splashing out of the reservoir because compression gases were getting into the water chambers and being forced out the bottle. luckily mine was still covered by honda powertrain and they fixed it for free. i drive an 05 Si (american EX) with only 70000kms when it happened. these engines are notorious for blowing head gaskets. if you live in a cold climate check to see if you lose heat when idling at a stop light or parked on you driveway, that's how i knew something was wrong with mine.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

headgasket has a samall crack
Old 04-09-2007, 07:47 PM

Let me ask you couple of questions.

1. How many miles on your car?
2. When was last time you change the coolant?
3. have you felt the upper and lower hose???

Only reason why i'm asking is honda car you will need coolant reflush at 60k miles, i'm asking when because i would like to know if you did it or you took it to somebody to do it, 3rd try to feel the lower hose and upper hose at normal operation temperature.

By what you describe that you see bubble from resovoir is because you have air in the system or something is just not right so try this open the radiator cap and start your car and let it run for while and close the cap, see if this will fix it.

second thing you should try is feel the lower and upper radiator hose, the upper radiator hose should be really hot and lower radiator hose should be warm. When you touch the hose if any of those hose doesn't feel the way i describe there is clogged on your coolant system.

Another thing you should try take your radiator cap to any mechanic and ask them if they could pressure test for you, your car could be overheating due to pressure not holding because of the cap.

Hope this help you out.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:52 PM

Default Re: (kuki22)

for your info i never heard stock honda blow head gasket that easy unless it's highly modded, trust me on this since i beat the hell out of 04 civic lx my sister owned which is mine now until i'm finish with school and if it didnt blow on me than it's pretty strong. All i'm trying to say is that little mod or stock head gasket won't blow easy.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:41 AM

waddup yall..i have an 01 civic ex....well right now im having the same problem too....coolant bubbling in the resevoir and coolant being pushed to the resevoir when i'm driving on the highway...it starts to overheat when i come to a stop after driving for 30 or more minutes on the highway..and then it cools down..kinda weird i think..i changed my thermostat and flushed my coolant and also changed my resevoir tank...but that didn't do much i think....i'm going to change my waterpump pretty soon so hopefully that will help me....but with the hose checking...both of them is always hot when i check them...is that a bad thing? hopefully you fix the problem because i need to fix that problem too..lol...hmm..but i heard that a lot of the 01 civics and up seem to have a lot of problem? is that true?
Old 04-10-2007, 11:04 AM

Default Re: (hmongshaa)

Still havent heard anything from the shop. But to answer qeustions my radiator hoses are normal, i just turned 70,000 on the odometer. My coolant in the last month has probably been changed a good 10 times do to my problem. so the coolant is def. good. Now as far as a blown head gasket i hope thats not it, i have heard of the possibilty of a clog but seems to me that after changing the hoses, the thermostat, and the radiator that the clog would be gone.??? I know its not easy to blow a head gasket, i mean my heat works great, my enigine hasnt lost any power, car runs perfect till it overheats. thats why im lost. I know im building pressure though, so it just has to be the head gasket. Will post result soon!!!!
Old 04-11-2007, 11:53 AM

Default Re: (jaydee03ex)

yeah man i have the same probplem ive replaced the radiatiotor the radiator cap the thermostat to a factory one and also ive changed the fan switch and did 3 radiator flush...i also took it to the honda dealership they cant fix it...so yesterday i took it to this shop around my house...the guy used some kind of chemical fluid and he pumed from the radiator...it changed the color...when he did it to my dads car..the chemical stayed the same...so it has to be the head gasket im getting that replaced this weeks o if it does stop the problem i will post this up and let everyone know whats going on with these sorry *** 01-05 civics...