Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

New/Excessive noise problem

Old 07-25-2007, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New/Excessive noise problem

Hi Everyone,
Starting about 2 days ago, my '02 Civic LX (65K miles) began making a new noise. It seems to come from the left front area and sounds like what you might hear from large truck tires (road noise) or a lower volume version of a prop plane taking off. I can barely hear it at 25mph and it gets louder as I increase speed. At 70mph, it's very noticable.

* Pressing the clutch, changing gears or applying brakes has no affect on the noise.

It would seem that the problem would have to be between the output side of the transmission and the wheel.

Things I have or are still considering are:
- Broken belt in the tire - But I feel no vibration in the steering wheel.
- Tires mounted in the wrong direction - Not sure if they are directional. Had them rotated a couple weeks ago but it just started so I doubt that is the problem.
(BTW - The noise seems constant over different types of pavement, etc...)
- Wheel bearing, although that would be a new noise to me for bearing problems.
- Transmission - But not on the engine side because changing gears, coasting, etc... has no affect on the noise.
- CV joint

Tonight, I plan on putting it on blocks to check out things and eventually bringing it up to speed while the wheels are elevated to try and pin point the noise. (CAREFULLY!)

Anybody have any ideas or suggestions on what it might be or what to look for?

Thanks!

Jerry
Old 07-26-2007, 10:48 AM
Grace Under Pressure

Default Re: New/Excessive noise problem (jerry11)

Sounds a bit like you know what you're on about. Sounds like a possible CV joint. If changing gear/dipping the clutch has no effect, i'd say that's your best place to start looking.

Tyres mounted backwards wouldn't make that noticeable a noise, plus the constant "same-pitch" noise probably eliminates that.

Maybe try and find a clear car car park, drive up to a speed that gets the noise to occur and switch the engine off? See if the noise changes or disappears. It's a bit hard to say without having heard the noise.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New/Excessive noise problem (EM2_UK#1)

If the noise gets louder when you turn right but gets quieter when you turn left, this would point to a wheel bearing. Wheel bearings tend to get louder when you load them in a turn. Hope this helps.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:13 AM

Default Re: New/Excessive noise problem (jerry11)

I have exact same problem on my '02 civic (49K miles). But mine is automatic.

I have been noticing this noise problem for weeks. I took it to mechanic, and he changed the left wheel-baring last week. But I had to take my car back to his shop since noise is still there. But after checking the car, he suggested that it is possibly coming from tires (threads) and/or wheel-alignement and suggested that I should get the wheel-alignment done at dealer to see if that fixes the problem. I am not sure that would fix the problem or not since car does not seems to be pulling left or right when driving. But anyway, I will get wheel-alignment done and hope that fixes my problem.

If anyone has better suggestion, please reply.

Thanks,

Dharmesh