Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Need some help turboing my d17a2

Old 03-26-2019, 04:02 PM
Trial User

Default Need some help turboing my d17a2

So I bought a em2 about year ago. Engine was blown so I bought a used one with low mileage and left to school. Now that Iím back I have saved up around 2k and I want to turbo it. I donít want some bs *** eBay kit I want a real build but Iím a noob at understanding what I need and how to buy it. I was interested in a dezod turbo kit but it seems they donít have them anymore. Can anyone steer me in the right direction on what parts I need to buy or a good reliable kit that wonít cost over 3k. Thanks
Old 04-16-2019, 06:52 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Need some help turboing my d17a2

Lol just buy a si, d17s are wack
Old 04-16-2019, 07:49 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hollow Gram View Post
Can anyone steer me in the right direction on what parts I need to buy or a good reliable kit that wonít cost over 3k.
They don't exist.

You're better off putting that money towards a GSR swap. It would end up costing less and giving better results than to turbo your D17. And with your budget, building a decent turbo kit would not be possible anyway, you'd end up with a "bs ebay kit". A proper turbo kit and supporting mods will cost easily $5-10k. Check out goautoworks for good reliable kit options.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0 View Post
They don't exist.

You're better off putting that money towards a GSR swap. It would end up costing less and giving better results than to turbo your D17. And with your budget, building a decent turbo kit would not be possible anyway, you'd end up with a "bs ebay kit". A proper turbo kit and supporting mods will cost easily $5-10k. Check out go autoworks for good reliable kit options.
You cannot GSR swap a 7th gen, Kseries or nothing pretty much and you're not going to K series swap for that budget. But you can peice together a a decent turbo but you need to keep your boost low, the one thing you will need to do is have it tuned, which will cost you a pretty penny. Thats the only way a d17 will survive on boost.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:11 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civichxtreme2 View Post
You cannot GSR swap a 7th gen, Kseries or nothing pretty much and you're not going to K series swap for that budget. But you can peice together a a decent turbo but you need to keep your boost low, the one thing you will need to do is have it tuned, which will cost you a pretty penny. Thats the only way a d17 will survive on boost.
Whoops, correct it should be a K swap. Totally overlooked what model year we were talkin about.

A k swap could be done with a moderate budget, still less than a turbo and far more effective.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I doubt you can K swap a 7th gen for less than a well bought turbo set up, I will agree that its a much much better route to take for potential, but downtime and electronics and all swap components are going to blow the budget out of the water by a long shot.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:06 PM
Sanji

Originally Posted by civichxtreme2 View Post
I doubt you can K swap a 7th gen for less than a well bought turbo set up, I will agree that its a much much better route to take for potential, but downtime and electronics and all swap components are going to blow the budget out of the water by a long shot.
That entirely depends on your mechanical aptitude, and your ability to hunt for bargains. I've seen K-swaps done for less than $3000.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by toyomatt84 View Post
That entirely depends on your mechanical aptitude, and your ability to hunt for bargains. I've seen K-swaps done for less than $3000.
For a 7G Civic... this would take a LOT of patience. Maybe if you are buying product from car thieves or chop shops... LOL

You would need an RSX-S or TSX engine, 5 or 6 speed manual transmission with clutch and flywheel, an RSX or 7G Civic Si engine cradle, RSX shifter and cables, an ECU with K-Pro, a mount kit, RSX-S engine harness and a conversion harness, base RSX axles, a 7G Civic Si radiator and fans as well as the Si A/C compressor, condenser and lines, and a RSX P/S pump and reservoir just to start. All this for $3K ??? Good luck.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:29 PM
Sanji

Originally Posted by JRCivic1 View Post
For a 7G Civic... this would take a LOT of patience. Maybe if you are buying product from car thieves or chop shops... LOL

You would need an RSX-S or TSX engine, 5 or 6 speed manual transmission with clutch and flywheel, an RSX or 7G Civic Si engine cradle, RSX shifter and cables, an ECU with K-Pro, a mount kit, RSX-S engine harness and a conversion harness, base RSX axles, a 7G Civic Si radiator and fans as well as the Si A/C compressor, condenser and lines, and a RSX P/S pump and reservoir just to start. All this for $3K ??? Good luck.
... or just purchase a wrecked EP3 and swap everything over, selling off what you don't want. Grand total for my buddy's car, was $2800 total expenditure (including $500 of profit from sold components). He used the EP3's stock engine mounts, drilling out the factory D17 mounts. No aftermarket components needed for a factory swap, if you know your way around a welder. Oh, and it was easy to ditch the P/S, since the EP3 comes standard with electric assisted power steering.

For reference, I did my 2006 TSX K24A2 swap back in 2006 and a friend's K24A2 swap in 2014 (I think?). I have done this before, and am well aware of the costs.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

" No aftermarket components needed for a factory swap, if you know your way around a welder"""

This is the key here really, most at home mechanics are not up to the task of fabrication.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: