Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

master or slave clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default master or slave clutch?

Hey everyone,

One of my "friends" had my car out. He just decided to take it around the block for some reason.
Well i was gonna sell it to him, although he hasn't payed for it he seems to think it is "his" car. Whatever. Anyways,

The bleeder on valve on the slave poped out and shot all the fluid out while he was driving it. Now when i tried to re-bleed the clutch, There is still no pressure.
when I open the bleeder valve the fluid still shoots out, but the peddle is still on the floor holding no pressure, you literally have to keep pumping it. The slave rod doesn't move at all (maybe a millimeter) but it will not push the fork. There is no leaks anywhere.

Do you think my master slave is messed up and should be replaced? Or could this be a slave issue?

i heard something about the Master Cylinders having some sort of lids that "flip" over inside or something.

I just wanna know which one I should replace so I don't have to spend 300$ to replace them both.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: master or slave clutch? (superjester)

try using a vacuum bleeder (hand pump kind) available at sears. you will need a big bottle of brake fluid when doing this & a good 5-10mins of using the vacuum bleeder (no need to pump clutch pedal when doing this). open the bleeder screw and attach the hose from the pump. have a friend at the clutch reservoir pour in fluid as the level goes down (DO NOT let the reservoir empty, cap stays off during the process). pump it and watch the pressure gauge. the fluid with have many air bubbles when you first do this and will lessen as you repeat the process. when the catch bottle almost gets full stop pumping and let the pressure gauge go to almost zero and close the bleeder screw. empty the catch bottle and repeat process about 5 more times. check the clutch pedal, if there's pressure you succeeded. if not then i think your friend might have to owe you some money for replacement parts.

this is what i had to do when i had no pressure in my pedal after doing my 5spd swap

Modified by JDMInspired at 11:05 AM 7/11/2008