Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Low MPG

Old 11-26-2018, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Low MPG

I've recorded about 24 mpg my last two fill ups, I've been using the AC a lot since my fans aren't working again and do a lot of delivering/idling in the city. Is my mpg too low or expected for how I've been driving?
I'm planning on changing the timing belt soon, what else should I check?
Old 11-26-2018, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Low MPG

Originally Posted by Zigory View Post
I've recorded about 24 mpg my last two fill ups, I've been using the AC a lot since my fans aren't working again and do a lot of delivering/idling in the city. Is my mpg too low or expected for how I've been driving?
I'm planning on changing the timing belt soon, what else should I check?
No way to tell, even a Civic, if driven in heavy enough traffic, can return fuel economy down in the single digits.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Use Top Tier fuel stations. Winter fuel will see a drop in MPG. Have a clean air filter. Pump up tires to at least 32PSI (I go 34 in winter and 36 in summer). Timing belt service due every 7 years or 105K miles regardless - don't put off.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NDNV View Post
Use Top Tier fuel stations. Winter fuel will see a drop in MPG. Have a clean air filter. Pump up tires to at least 32PSI (I go 34 in winter and 36 in summer). Timing belt service due every 7 years or 105K miles regardless - don't put off.
One quick modification to your comments, a clean air filter will in no way help improve fuel economy; that and I would argue Top Tier fuel is more marketing hype than any tangible benefit, fuel economy related or otherwise.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, I would agree with that modification that a clean air filter does not produce better fuel efficiency (in fuel injected engines anyway). A clean air filter should produce better performance/acceleration though.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NDNV View Post
Yes, I would agree with that modification that a clean air filter does not produce better fuel efficiency (in fuel injected engines anyway). A clean air filter should produce better performance/acceleration though.
Agreed; although, not as much as you might think.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shipo View Post
One quick modification to your comments, a clean air filter will in no way help improve fuel economy; that and I would argue Top Tier fuel is more marketing hype than any tangible benefit, fuel economy related or otherwise.
i agree dont use anything above 87 these years hondas even in the manual call for low octane fuel
Old 02-25-2019, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the replies, I've replaced the timing belt water pump and tensioner as well as the fan switch and spark plugs, the mpg is still about the same so im guessing it's the city driving I mainly do. I know most of these shouldn't affect the mpg anyway other than the plugs, maybe. I also only use chevron 87 but I doubt that makes any difference either
Old 02-26-2019, 01:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Zigory View Post
Thanks for the replies, I've replaced the timing belt water pump and tensioner as well as the fan switch and spark plugs, the mpg is still about the same so im guessing it's the city driving I mainly do. I know most of these shouldn't affect the mpg anyway other than the plugs, maybe. I also only use chevron 87 but I doubt that makes any difference either
Unless you use the incorrect plugs (i.e. Bosch suck), then plugs will not impact fuel economy.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

After some freeway trips the mileage is around 30-31, so I'm chalking it up to my driving habits.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: