Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Loud squealing when car is cold, what should I look for?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 02:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud squealing when car is cold, what should I look for?

I've figured out a little more about a noise that I posted about before, I'm hoping there's someone out there who could tell me where to start with it. It's an '04 Civic 5-speed.

When I start my car cold, put it into gear and give it gas, it squeals really loudly for about 10-15 seconds. The squealing seems to be tied to acceleration. Depressing the clutch pedal doesn't stop it immediately, but it seems to stop sooner if I leave the clutch disengaged for a few seconds. However when I do that, re-engaging the clutch causes it to start squealing again for a few seconds.

Usually what I'll do to get it to stop is disengage the clutch and rev my engine. Even with the clutch disengaged, revving my engine makes the squealing louder, but seems to make it stop sooner. Then, for maybe the first 3 minutes of my drive, the noise will start again much more softly when I'm releasing the clutch and giving it gas in a new gear. I originally thought it was a problem related to my clutch, but now I'm not so sure. The noise starts when I engage the clutch, but I think that may just be because I'm giving it gas. I'm guessing it's a belt or something, but they all look pretty new and the previous owner told me he replaced them recently. Is there anything I can tighten? Does that even sound like a belt issue?

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2015, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That could definitely be a belt issue. You cant check the timing belt with start to take the engine apart. I hope that was taken care of at 110k. And you cant always take the word of the owner.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Loud squealing when car is cold, what should I look for?

I'd check your fan belts. I'd say its most likely that. Don't over tighten, you can mess up bearings if you do.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

He gave me all the maintenance records, and has receipts for the timing belt and water pump service thank goodness. Would timing belt be a constant squeal? It really seems to be tied to engine revolutions.

I'll check out that fan belt, thanks for the suggestion!
Old 12-15-2015, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Loud squealing when car is cold, what should I look for?

Could also be the alternator belt or power steering belt those both run while the engine is. Both are right there and easy to replace. Dont pay someone to do those do them yourself youll save alot of $
Old 12-23-2015, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Was this ever figured out? I have the exact same car, and as its getting colder, im having the EXACT same problem!
Old 01-06-2016, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your car has an electric fan so there is no fan belt to check. what you want to check is the tightness of your power steering belt and alternator belt. i had the same problem and for me it was the alternator belt. the alternator belt is tightened by a butterfly nut located below the power steering pump. you can tighten it by hand if you squeeze your arm down the engine bay and twist is clockwise. i believe the power steering belt is also tightened by a butterfly nut(it may be a regular bolt but it is a brass color for sure) which is easily located on the power steering pump.