Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Location of fuel filter on 2002 EX

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Location of fuel filter on 2002 EX

The issue im having with my car at the moment is spuddering when i accelerate... It kinda feels like it wants to bog out. Im asking around what could be causing this and alot of people are saying it could be my fuel filter. I just dont know where its located cause various sites give me different answers.

If anyone has had the same issues please let me know what you did to correct this annoying issue
Old 12-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Location of fuel filter on 2002 EX

It's in the gas tank. Click Here - item B-4

You'll need to remove the lower-half of the rear seat to access it.

Have you checked your fuel pressure? No sense in going to all the trouble of changing the filter if that isn't the problem.

How many miles on the car?
Checked the plugs yet?
Valve clearances are normal?
Old 12-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If people are telling you its the fuel filter, it's obvious they no nothing about Hondas. The fuel filter on your car is a lifetime filter and shouldnt be replaced unless someone was a dick and poured sand in your tank. How many miles are on your car? Is the CEL on?
Old 12-11-2011, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My car has 192k on it and yeah i recently checked the plugs. they are fairly new but i did notice some of the plugs had some oil on them.. could both these issues be because of a head gasket?

Originally Posted by It Wasn't Me
It's in the gas tank. Click Here - item B-4

You'll need to remove the lower-half of the rear seat to access it.

Have you checked your fuel pressure? No sense in going to all the trouble of changing the filter if that isn't the problem.

How many miles on the car?
Checked the plugs yet?
Valve clearances are normal?
yeah see i already read that those rarely need to be replaced.. thats why i wanted to look more into it because i went and replaced it. The car has 192k miles on it. and yeah the CEL is on. but it depends on what day it is when it feels like it wants to be on. right now it is.

Originally Posted by igotthaspirit
If people are telling you its the fuel filter, it's obvious they no nothing about Hondas. The fuel filter on your car is a lifetime filter and shouldnt be replaced unless someone was a dick and poured sand in your tank. How many miles are on your car? Is the CEL on?

Last edited by toyomatt84; 12-11-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ADIZZLE08
the CEL is on. but it depends on what day it is when it feels like it wants to be on. right now it is.
Have it scanned and post the code(s) here. (even if the light is off when you take it in, have it scanned)
Old 12-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why? I replaced mine at 150,000 km's (94,000 Miles)
Its really common to have sediments and smal particles of dirt in your gas, comes from the tanks, nossels and hoses of the pumps themselves, overtime it can plug your filter, thats why you have a filter to begin with so that dirt doesnt end up in your engine.
Different parts of the world has different qualities of gas, but all have sediments in it in some sort.

Mine wasnt to bad, but needed changing all the same, i did see a noticable difference after i changed mine.
The following users liked this post:
G R
Old 12-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Does ur problem come and go and some days it runs well and others hesitates and does not idle right?
Old 12-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GriFFIthS
Why? I replaced mine at 150,000 km's (94,000 Miles)
Its really common to have sediments and smal particles of dirt in your gas, comes from the tanks, nossels and hoses of the pumps themselves, overtime it can plug your filter, thats why you have a filter to begin with so that dirt doesnt end up in your engine.
Different parts of the world has different qualities of gas, but all have sediments in it in some sort.

Mine wasnt to bad, but needed changing all the same, i did see a noticable difference after i changed mine.
Just because you replaced yours doesnt mean it was needed.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by manuelv315
Does ur problem come and go and some days it runs well and others hesitates and does not idle right?
This issue is on going.. it doesnt seem to go away
Old 07-24-2016, 04:37 PM
Trial User

Lifetime filter? Is there really such a thing?

I'm thinking if someone tells you that a filter is lifetime, that it never needs cleaning at the very least, they are expecting you to only keep your vehicle for less than 200K miles.

For the rest who may be looking to keep our vehicles much longer, it seems logical that filters need to be changed eventually.

Filters are designed to catch crud. If it is doing its job, it is going to get to the point of having too much crud.

If it gets too much crud, it is going to take more pressure to force fuel through it. More pressure means more work for the fuel pump which means a shorter life for the pump.

Just saying.
G R
Old 05-03-2017, 10:33 AM
Trial User

Yes there is another fuel filter...I have 2003 civic 1.6 vtec uk version and if you go to rear of your car where your filler neck goes down to tank look up underneath there is a baked bean size black canister layed horizontally held on with one bolt..this is a secondary filter I'm assuming..which takes away the smaller sediment so obviously easer to change there than the one in your tank so will be finer...eurocarparts sell em...crossland.I'd start there first...start small then work your way up.
G R
Old 05-03-2017, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ADIZZLE08
The issue im having with my car at the moment is spuddering when i accelerate... It kinda feels like it wants to bog out. Im asking around what could be causing this and alot of people are saying it could be my fuel filter. I just dont know where its located cause various sites give me different answers.

If anyone has had the same issues please let me know what you did to correct this annoying issue
This is what my 03 EX did and it was the head gasket. Have you checked the compression of each cylinder?
Old 05-03-2017, 08:22 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mark farminer
Yes there is another fuel filter...I have 2003 civic 1.6 vtec uk version and if you go to rear of your car where your filler neck goes down to tank look up underneath there is a baked bean size black canister layed horizontally held on with one bolt..this is a secondary filter I'm assuming..which takes away the smaller sediment so obviously easer to change there than the one in your tank so will be finer...eurocarparts sell em...crossland.I'd start there first...start small then work your way up.
If you're referring to this, its the Evap. canister, not a fuel filter.

Name:  IMG_0321.jpg
Views: 30595
Size:  49.9 KB
G R