Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

How common are head gasket issues on these engines?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How common are head gasket issues on these engines?

Just like the title says, I am deciding what generation to look at for a newer civic. I was strictly limiting myself to the 1996-2000, but I really like the 2001-2005 civics. However I heard these D17 engines have headgasket issues.

Is this true?

How common is it? Like at what mileage? Thanks
Old 02-08-2012, 05:46 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Re: How common are head gasket issues on these engines?

They're fairly common. See here: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2001-2005-78/01-05-civic-cooling-system-q-overheating-fans-inoperable-etc-2889523/

But, that being said, if you maintain the car using Honda fluids, you can get pretty good life out of the factory headgasket.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by toyomatt84
They're fairly common. See here: https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2889523

But, that being said, if you maintain the car using Honda fluids, you can get pretty good life out of the factory headgasket.
What kind of a headgasket did they use? Steel?

So how long do you think I can get out of a stock one? I like the looks inside and out, but I don't want to have to replace a headgasket every 50k miles.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:08 PM
Sanji

Originally Posted by bk7794
What kind of a headgasket did they use? Steel?

So how long do you think I can get out of a stock one? I like the looks inside and out, but I don't want to have to replace a headgasket every 50k miles.
I think its a layered metal gasket, if memory serves me right. I've never had to do it on a D17, to be honest.

As for how long you can get out of a factory one... well, that's impossible to judge without knowing the complete history of the car. So, I'll answer with an... indeterminate amount of mileage. Can they last over 100k? Yes. Its all down to how well the car was maintained, and what type of driving/surroundings it endured.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think its a layered metal gasket, if memory serves me right. I've never had to do it on a D17, to be honest.

As for how long you can get out of a factory one... well, that's impossible to judge without knowing the complete history of the car. So, I'll answer with an... indeterminate amount of mileage. Can they last over 100k? Yes. Its all down to how well the car was maintained, and what type of driving/surroundings it endured.
That makes me nervous for buying a used one then. Probably the first thing I would do is flush the coolant and put honda genuine in it. Correct? And how hard would it be to change one?
Old 02-08-2012, 06:59 PM
Sanji

That makes me nervous for buying a used one then. Probably the first thing I would do is flush the coolant and put honda genuine in it. Correct? And how hard would it be to change one?
If you purchase one, I would recommend flushing the heater core separate from the rest of the coolant system. Then, run all new coolant (Honda brand) in the car. That'll help things. Also, be careful when burping. It can take quite a while, and if the front of the car isn't elevated properly, it won't burp properly.

As for changing the gasket, its not too tough. It just takes time.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you purchase one, I would recommend flushing the heater core separate from the rest of the coolant system. Then, run all new coolant (Honda brand) in the car. That'll help things. Also, be careful when burping. It can take quite a while, and if the front of the car isn't elevated properly, it won't burp properly.

As for changing the gasket, its not too tough. It just takes time.
Thanks for the advice.

Why do they go bad? Is it a design flaw?
Old 02-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is actually interesting because ive never heard of bad headgasket problems in D17's. I had my car for 200xxx kms and i know many people locally who have owned them and never have heard of this being a common issue but good to know!
Old 02-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mercer
This is actually interesting because ive never heard of bad headgasket problems in D17's. I had my car for 200xxx kms and i know many people locally who have owned them and never have heard of this being a common issue but good to know!
Yeah its interesting that you say that. It's not like the subaru I was looking at that had a whole thread on the head gasket. However I am still a bit nervous to grab one from this vintage for the headgasket reason. I am torn...
Old 02-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Sanji

Thanks for the advice.

Why do they go bad? Is it a design flaw?
Typically, its because someone decides to ignore checking their coolant levels... or they replace the coolant with non-Honda coolant. The mixture of non-Honda coolant and Honda coolant can cause blockages (as they sometimes mix and make a gummy fluid that sticks).
Old 02-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mercer
I never had any problems with mine either never leaked a drop of coolant or oil the 5 years I had it either!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been using Prestone Extended Life prediluted antifreeze/coolant for quite a while now without any issues. Drained the radiator of the old Honda stuff, refilled with Prestone. I'm assuming it was the old (green) Honda coolant since I bought the car used from a Honda dealer and that's what color coolant was in it. (not the newer blue stuff)

I keep a close eye on my radiator for any signs of deposits or buildup on the fins, and so far there hasn't been any.

112k on the original head gasket, for those who may be wondering.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:08 AM
Sanji

Originally Posted by It Wasn't Me
I've been using Prestone Extended Life prediluted antifreeze/coolant for quite a while now without any issues. Drained the radiator of the old Honda stuff, refilled with Prestone. I'm assuming it was the old (green) Honda coolant since I bought the car used from a Honda dealer and that's what color coolant was in it. (not the newer blue stuff)

I keep a close eye on my radiator for any signs of deposits or buildup on the fins, and so far there hasn't been any.

112k on the original head gasket, for those who may be wondering.
Well, you do have a working knowledge on what happens to the coolant systems in these cars... so you're a special case.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, you do have a working knowledge on what happens to the coolant systems in these cars... so you're a special case.
What happens? Crap forms on the rad and it essentially overheats?
Old 02-10-2012, 02:16 PM
Sanji

What happens? Crap forms on the rad and it essentially overheats?
Not necessarily on the rad... more like in the tubing and in the coolant channels in the block. Think of it like a person eating too much fat. Clogged arteries are bad news.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not necessarily on the rad... more like in the tubing and in the coolant channels in the block. Think of it like a person eating too much fat. Clogged arteries are bad news.
Oh okay, that makes more sense now. So its not like they give out from driving it too much, right? Aslong as it is maintained then it should be golden. Right? And if the temperature gets high on the gauge, that's when you know when to start worrying.

So If I do end up getting one, what should I look for in the coolant?
Old 02-10-2012, 02:56 PM
Sanji

Oh okay, that makes more sense now. So its not like they give out from driving it too much, right? Aslong as it is maintained then it should be golden. Right? And if the temperature gets high on the gauge, that's when you know when to start worrying.

So If I do end up getting one, what should I look for in the coolant?
If you look at your coolant, make sure it is either a bright green-ish color or the new Honda standard pre-mix, which is a aqua blue color. If its muddy, not translucent, or has particles in it... go through a thorough flush of the system, and run all new coolant.

The headgasket can last quite a long time, as long as the coolant system is maintained properly.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you look at your coolant, make sure it is either a bright green-ish color or the new Honda standard pre-mix, which is a aqua blue color. If its muddy, not translucent, or has particles in it... go through a thorough flush of the system, and run all new coolant.

The headgasket can last quite a long time, as long as the coolant system is maintained properly.
Alright, that and a service record. How many miles should the coolant be flushed?

Thanks a lot for all this information. I really appreciate it!
Old 02-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Sanji

Alright, that and a service record. How many miles should the coolant be flushed?

Thanks a lot for all this information. I really appreciate it!
The maintenance windows are on the bottom of the FAQ's thread.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The maintenance windows are on the bottom of the FAQ's thread.
All right thanks again. So if I do buy one I should be guaranteed almost 200k on a headgasket atleast...right? With good maintenance of course.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Sanji

All right thanks again. So if I do buy one I should be guaranteed almost 200k on a headgasket atleast...right? With good maintenance of course.
No one could make a true guarantee on that. Its a giant crap shoot, for what its worth. Can they last that long? Certainly. But, that's about all the certainty I can give you.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No one could make a true guarantee on that. Its a giant crap shoot, for what its worth. Can they last that long? Certainly. But, that's about all the certainty I can give you.
Alright, thanks a lot!
Old 02-11-2012, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My HG sh*t the bed at around 130k miles. always used honda coolant and did regular maintenance before problems occurred. Yea, it was pricey getting the HG changed out, but other than routine maintenance, it was the first time the car was in the shop since I bought it at 20k miles so I really cant complain too bad.

I wouldnt rule out buying one used, just make sure theres good records of maintenance. 7th gens can be had for under 4g in good condition, so even if you have to put another grand into it for a head gasket, its still a reliable cheap car.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chawski
My HG sh*t the bed at around 130k miles. always used honda coolant and did regular maintenance before problems occurred. Yea, it was pricey getting the HG changed out, but other than routine maintenance, it was the first time the car was in the shop since I bought it at 20k miles so I really cant complain too bad.

I wouldnt rule out buying one used, just make sure theres good records of maintenance. 7th gens can be had for under 4g in good condition, so even if you have to put another grand into it for a head gasket, its still a reliable cheap car.
I really like the interior creature comforts. But I am looking into one that would not have air conditioning or power steering. I finally looked at the engine bay in close detail and saw the lines for those two components run right next to one another making the timing belt change to be the biggest pain in the neck.

I will have to keep my eye out for both of them. Thanks though.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

timing belt is definitely a PITA on civics, but the same can be said for just about any car, so again, wouldnt rule anything out based on that

Quick Reply: How common are head gasket issues on these engines?