Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Honda Civic with disappearing engine oil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Civic with disappearing engine oil?

So my friend called me up today to ask why his 2004 honda civic si (canadian version so its a SOHC 1.7L vtec) engine is using so much oil.

He claims that it is not burning oil at all and he has 190, 000kms. I know for a fact that he doesn't drive hard at all but he told me that on one occasion while driving his oil light came on for like a brief second. Obviously the oil level was so low that he stopped to put oil into it but he was pretty much scratching his head as to why his car was low on oil.

Can anyone here suggest what might be the issue? I won't be looking at his car for another week or two so. I'm just gather ideas right now....

Thanks

Old 03-25-2008, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Civic with disappearing engine oil? (stevescivic)

internal leak...hes burnin up the oil...it could be a number of things

compression and leakage tests should help
Old 03-26-2008, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Civic with disappearing engine oil? (JohnnyClutch)

I've had motors where the compression was good but the oil control rings were bad.

Here's the weird thing. He's telling me that his g/f isn't seeing ANY blue smoke whatsoever in his exhaust stream. Now based on the rate of oil consumption that he seeing one would easily say that he's burning oil and could see it but he is insists that there is nothing.

Other suggestions perhaps? I highly doubt pcv that is plugged will eat that much oil. Honda PCVs are like lifetime.... its a reed valve and there really isn't any moving parts on it.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol...my dad's old cavalier used to burn lots of oil for the last 9+ years he owned it, but there was no blue smoke and the car always passed air care w/out any problems....

Old 03-26-2008, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stevescivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> He's telling me that his g/f isn't seeing ANY blue smoke whatsoever in his exhaust stream. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol thats the problem...its his gf sayin so.

maybe she expects to see like dark navy blue smoke comin out...lol

if its not compression it can be leakage. the exh valves, seats, guides, etc could be bad...

youre probably best off just waitin til the cars in your hands...

run an oil pressure test
Old 03-26-2008, 08:42 PM

If its not burning oil and it dosen't have anoticable leak then it could be a leak into another system. For example I have seen cars with oil leaking into the cooling system and vice versa. Check your coolant and other fluids for oil in it.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Civic with disappearing engine oil? (2004es2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2004es2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If its not burning oil and it dosen't have anoticable leak then it could be a leak into another system. For example I have seen cars with oil leaking into the cooling system and vice versa. Check your coolant and other fluids for oil in it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats a possibility too....

that would be a real serious problem....
Old 03-28-2008, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Honda Civic with disappearing engine oil? (JohnnyClutch)

valve gasket cover...or w/e it's called. My EM2 had that issue when taken to a 60-point inspection at a honda dealership cuz some dood was really interested in buying it. I ended up trading it in though for $5000 with that leaking oil issue. The oil would leak about 1/8th for every 900-1000 miles. No signs of burning, but if you continue to drive in higher rpms (around 4500+) you'd definitely be burning a lot quicker than 1/8th every 900-1000 miles. just fyi from my own experience. also noted, that the compression test reported really well and above normal for an EM2 in the condition that I had it in.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:52 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Honda Civic with disappearing engine oil?

Originally Posted by stevescivic
So my friend called me up today to ask why his 2004 honda civic si (canadian version so its a SOHC 1.7L vtec) engine is using so much oil.

He claims that it is not burning oil at all and he has 190, 000kms. I know for a fact that he doesn't drive hard at all but he told me that on one occasion while driving his oil light came on for like a brief second. Obviously the oil level was so low that he stopped to put oil into it but he was pretty much scratching his head as to why his car was low on oil.

Can anyone here suggest what might be the issue? I won't be looking at his car for another week or two so. I'm just gather ideas right now....

Thanks
Hey, I just bought an 04 civic ex 1.7 vtec. Same as this basically. Myou oil lvls when from full to empty in a day and it isn't leaking on the ground. It is burning oil but I've never heard of it like this before. Help me? Haha