Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

help how to drain coolant

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help how to drain coolant

some people say I need to flush my radiator? what is flushing a radiator? I know you just take off the radiator drain plug and drain the radiator. What I do is take off the drain plug and while is draining I take off the radiator cap and put a the water hose in the radiator and while the engine is running, that's what I call flushing. is there any special bolt on the engine block I need to take out to drain the water too?
Old 03-20-2008, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: help how to drain coolant (batac_boy)

They did the flush on mine when i recently got the Timing belt/water pump/acc belts/drive belts/gasket service done!
Old 03-20-2008, 05:42 PM
Function>Fashion

To drain your radiator there should be a plastic plug on the bottom of the radiator. I don't remember what side it's on though. At least that's how it is on older Civics.. Pretty sure its around the same area.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No, there really isnt any special bolt to drain the water. That is the unoficial way to do it. The way to do it right is to use a machine and to flush it using coolant. But that method works as well. You wont be able to get all the water out. So I guess the best thing to do is not to mix it 50/50 when you put it back in, maybe try 70% coolant 30% water. Or something like that since there will be extra water in your block. Good luck.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:58 PM

Default Re: (jakscivic)

Hold on. First of all, the procedure is spelled out (surprisingly) well in the owners manual. There are drain plugs on the radiator and block, allowing you to get nearly all of the old coolant out easily. I would not recommend flushing unless you have coolant that is way over due and has turned color; not necessary. As I have mentioned in other posts, a $15 radiator funnel from the parts store is well worth the investment. It goes on the rad. filler neck in place of the cap and allows the system to burp air without allowing it back in or spilling coolant. Turn the heater on, let the cooling fan go through a couple cycles, and let it cool with the funnel in place. Here is one situation where a gallon of 50/50 mix ethylene glycol works perfectly, as that is the capacity of the system. Good luck.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im not sure if you have every tried to get a freeze/block plug out, but you actually need a specialty tool to get it out easier with out breaking anything. And if you have a hook up with a snapon truck then go for it. But I would recomend just doing the way people have told you to.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:59 AM

Default Re: (jakscivic)

Actually I just did it a couple weeks ago and didn't find it all that difficult. Instead of paying for a flush, pay a service tech to pull the plug and do it right. What you will find with flushing machines, whether they are for coolant, transmissision fluid, or fuel injection, is they serve the primary purpose of making money. Unless your cooling system is contaminated it shouldn't need to be flushed. The reason the coolant is replaced in the first place is the additives become exhausted and if left long enough become acidic, which leads to electrolysis and corrosion. As long as you're close to being on schedule it wouldn't hurt to leave a little of the old stuff in there. I can't find any factory reference recommending flushing.