Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Headers for '01 Civic LX

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 01:46 PM
Schumacher '10 WDC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers for '01 Civic LX

Hey guys, I'm new to performance and would like to get a new Air intake and Exhaust headers for my 2001 Civic LX. I realize that the D17A1 isn't the best engine for modification which is why I dont want to drop a whole lot into it, just enough to make my everyday driving a bit more spirited! I have searched around and all I can find are headers for EX. I already have my intake picked out AEM Short Ram w/filter. Don't know what to do about headers, I have a budget of about $500 if its possible. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Old 09-15-2006, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we have 1 header.

Look for the Kamikaze headerfor LX.

Its a great header, with a 2.5" collector.

Do a google search for "kamikaze header's"

they will easily be under 500
Old 09-15-2006, 02:54 PM

check ebay, I found the one I have for $200
Old 09-15-2006, 05:32 PM
New User

Default Re: Headers for '01 Civic LX (Tadehi)

the reason why you find nothing but ex headers is because on the lx mainifold is the cat its right on it you can put a ex header on an lx but you need to do other mods like extending the O2 sensers wires and etc..
Old 09-16-2006, 01:31 PM
Schumacher '10 WDC

Default Re: Headers for '01 Civic LX (em2!kid)

How hard is it to extend to O2 sensor wires? But the Ex headers will fit.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Headers for '01 Civic LX (Tadehi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tadehi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How hard is it to extend to O2 sensor wires? </TD></TR></TABLE>

It isn't.

I had to reqire my headlight pigtails due to them breaking, and the dealership screwing me.

Just make sure that you orientate the sensors in the same directions, and map out the wiring before you cut the wires to extend them.

Then, cut the wires, and use end-to-end connectors, heat shrink them, wrap electrical tape around it all, and you are done.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:08 PM
Schumacher '10 WDC

Default Re: Headers for '01 Civic LX (.Red.EM2)

So just buy EX manual trans. headers and make the O2 sensor wires longer. Do I need a special wire? I was looking at these ones.

http://www.car-stuff.com/perfo...gory=

Also how hard is it to install, I am pretty mechanical so I assume it requires just unbolting, rebolting and lengthening O2 wires right? Obviously I am new so please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I still say go with the Kamikaze header made for the LX, its better than any EX header.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18a_CRX)

From what you guys are saying, that Kamikaze header rocks.

I wish they made a shorty header for the D17a2.

Modified by .Red.EM2 at 12:16 AM 9/17/2006
Old 09-16-2006, 08:49 PM
Schumacher '10 WDC

Default Re: (.Red.EM2)

Tried it but couldn't find my model or year. So I don't know I am lost now.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tadehi)

Hey man,
My buddy has an 01 Civic LX sedan and what he did is just buy the EX stuff. He bought a Tsudo EX header (it's a 4 into 1 design) and he had to get an after market cat (catalytic converter), which he went with Random Technology's high flow offering, and he had a local exhaust shop weld the cat into he Lx's exhaust. He did have to extend his secondary o2 sensor wires a bit, it's not hard if you know how to solder and srink tube. If you don't know how find someone how does and just measure how far you need to go from the plug on the front of the engine for the o2 sensor to where it is after the cat which will now be under the car after the motor. I would also electrical tape up the wires and use wire loom if you'd like. Just helps to protect the wires and all.

He also bought the Greddy Evo 2 exhaust which is for an EX, but works fine. He's ripped off a 14.30 @96.9 mphs in the quarter mile with intake, header, exhaust, and a 50 shot of NOS... so these d17s aren't too bad, if they're fed nitrous!

Another option (which is what I've done and now so has my friend on his LX) is to delete your cat so you don't have to buy one. You will need a Casper's electronics O2 simulator (or some other o2 simulator) to plug into your secondary o2 sensor so you don't throw a check engine light (CEL). Those are like 85 shipped from their website which is a lot less than a high flow cat which tend to be over 200. Anyway, just get your Tsudo header, go to an exhaust shop and have them make an A pipe for you and make sure they put bungs in there for your o2 sensors. Then hook up your o2 simulator and you're good to go. With out the cat you'll be louder, and you won't pass emissions, but you can keep your cat and have it flanged so you can put it back in when you need to pass emissions and then you can take it back out when you're done. But you will be a lot faster with out that cat and with that intake and header... you're daily driver will be a lot more fun then.

Ask me any questions you've got. Take care.
Lates, Davey
Old 09-17-2006, 07:50 AM
Schumacher '10 WDC

Default Re: (Ahknodd)

Thanks for everyones inputs, but I think I will go with the Kamikaze headers since it is a direct bolt on for my LX. Is there any thing else I need to order to make it fit? i.e. any gaskets, etc. And do you guys know of a website which has a tutorial on how to install one of these? Thanks again to everyones input.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You'll need a new exhaust manifold gasket (metal can get from Honda or most parts stores) they're about 7-15 bucks, and you my need a new 'Donut' gasket which is inbetween the header and the cat. You may no need this especially if your car isn't that old.
As far as installing it, it should come with instructions, but sometimes you don't. What you'll do is first let the car cool down sufficiently, like for 2 hours after driving. Then you'll take off the stock heat shield from your stock header... just a few bolts. Sometimes there is front and back heat shield, just figure it out and take it all off. If there is one on the cat you may or may not need to take it off... I'm not sure on that one. Anyway, then I would spray some WD-40 on the two top bolts and the 3 bottom nuts/studs of your header on the head and spray some on the two bolts between the header and cat. This helps so you don't strip or break any bolts. Let sit for a few minutes to penetrate. Then just take off the two bolts betweenthe header and cat and then the 5 on the header to the head. Then rip that nasty stock bitch off! Now just put the new header on with the new gasket (I would think your donut gasket doesn't need to be replaced, I've never replaced mine, but I would take a look at it first.) Then just install all bolts, nuts, and springs and just finger tighten them all and then use a wrench and tightn them all up. If you've got a torque wrench I believe your header nuts/bolts are torqued to 25-30, and the ones between the cat and header are just tighted until the springs are close to touching all the way. You don't have to torque them down, but make sure to not over tighten as it is easy to break the studs on the head... and those are a bitch!
Oh and make sure to have your o2 sensor installed...not sure if you sensor is in the header or just before the cat, but make sure to reinstall it. I would remove it when the header is in the car if you can... use WD-40 onthe threads becasue those are usually hella tight. In the new header just tighten the o2 sensor down tight, no torques specs on it.
Now turn it on, rev it up, and take her for a drive. You may see some smoke because of the WD-40, but it'll burn off soon. Now take a pic and post it for us.
Good luck.
Lates, Davey
Old 09-17-2006, 08:45 PM
Schumacher '10 WDC

Default Re: (Ahknodd)

Will I be able to keep the stock heatshield? I kinda don't want my dad to know I have a header, the sound shouldn't be a problem, just the look. I dont really mind the intake. Also is there any difference with the 1200 F Black coating, nickle plating, or ceramic coating. Is it worth the extra 40-50 dollars? Thanks again.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I highly doubt ude be able to use the stock headsheild. The only difference with the coatings is for looks, IMO go black coating.

I would hope ur dad has better things to do than open ur hood to see if u got a header:O.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:44 AM
Schumacher '10 WDC

Also is there any specific wire I need to lengthen the O2 sensor wires, I can solder, I have shrink tubing, etc. But is it a certain type or will any wire will do?
Thanks for everyone's input
Old 09-18-2006, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just a reqular stranded wire will work.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:49 AM

I have the kamikaze header its a nice header but since its not legal u will lose your catalactic converter but if you go with dc header its legal and u dont lose ur catalactic converter
Old 09-19-2006, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

u can make a kamikaze header legal, just add a cat after the downpipe.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:44 PM
Schumacher '10 WDC

Wait, I thought that the header just attaches to the downpipe and the cat is farther down the exhaust. Also I have another question and you guys would probably hate me for asking, but I have a 2.25 ton Pump jack and two 5 ton jack stands. Where do I jack up the car from and where do I put the jack stands? Sorry for the stupid question just wanted to make sure I am lifting the car in the right place. A picture would be great too.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:51 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tadehi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wait, I thought that the header just attaches to the downpipe and the cat is farther down the exhaust.</TD></TR></TABLE>
That's how it is on an ex. A lx has a header/cat combination. Here are some pics. The first one is an ex header and the second is a lx.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MisterFrankieJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tadehi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Where do I jack up the car from and where do I put the jack stands? Sorry for the stupid question just wanted to make sure I am lifting the car in the right place. A picture would be great too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Front lift point... Sorry about all the dirt.

Rear lift point...

Or, you can jack it up by the lower rear subframe.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:01 PM
Schumacher '10 WDC

So I would need a new cat as well? Which I do want a cat. So what would be a cheap good cat, could I get the OEM one and how would I mount the entire system? Header, cat, rest of exhaust? Also Do I need to get someone to weld the pieces or do they come flanged so I can just screw them on?

Thanks to all rsesponses!

Just want to do this right.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well if you have the LX, unless you converted over to an EX system, you will retain the cat at the manifold I would assume. Unless the Kamikaze is different.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:33 PM
Schumacher '10 WDC

Well thats what I am wondering would I pick up a set of headers then attach the Cat right after that and then the stock exhaust hook up to that? Any diagram or picture would really help.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Headers for '01 Civic LX