Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

EGR connector removal?

Old 03-21-2010, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR connector removal?

This seems like a newb question, but I promise you guys it is not.

I can't for the life of me remove the EGR electrical connector on my friend's '05 LX (d17a1).

I have checked the helms, and there doesn't seem to be ANY information on what needs to be done to get the damn thing off.

The angle at which the EGR seems to be turned, suggests that either the entire EGR must be unbolted, or the cam cap must be removed. I actually started unbolting the cam cap, and then proceeded to freak out and STOP once I realized what I was ****ing with.

Am I missing something?

The connector is actually broken, and a huge chunk of plastic is missing from it. The only way I found to get the damn connector off was to physically break it apart, in preparation for the installation of a new connector. The car is throwing an EGR voltage code, and I'm more than positive that this broken connector is the culprit.

This kind of leads me to yet another question. Does anyone know a place that sells individual Honda engine harness connectors? We desperately need a new EGR electrical connector. Her plates are expired and aren't renewable until she can pass emissions!

Any help would be appreciated, thanks everyone!
Old 03-21-2010, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EGR connector removal?

Just to reiterate the problem; I am having an issue disconnecting the 6 pin EGR electrical connector, from the EGR unit itself. Reconnecting is also an issue. There doesn't seem to be any clearance to do so. It's almost as if the connector is wedged against the cam cap.

If this doesn't seem to be an issue to anyone else, maybe the morons that worked on the car previously installed the EGR incorrectly?
Old 03-23-2010, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump. Anyone?

Could someone maybe take a look at their EGR and tell me if the connector is aimed toward the valve cover (to the right), or possibly the other way? The EGR is very easy to find. I can provide pics if anyone needs them...
Old 03-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll paypal 15 bucks to anyone that is willing to just tell me if they can remove their EGR harness connector from the EGR without removing anything else.

15 bucks!
Old 03-29-2010, 01:59 AM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rash
The angle at which the EGR seems to be turned, suggests that either the entire EGR must be unbolted, or the cam cap must be removed.........
.. are you talking about this?

I assume that you are, it sits next to the cylinder head (cam) plug and has a six pin electrical connector.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by It Wasn't Me
.. are you talking about this?

I assume that you are, it sits next to the cylinder head (cam) plug and has a six pin electrical connector.
Yes! That's it. She must have an aftermarket EGR, because her connect is basically wedged against the cam cap.

Have you tried unplugging it?
Old 03-29-2010, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like you have a bigger problem than just a broken connector. If it's rotated all the way around and pushing against the cam cap, something isn't right. Maybe post a pic of the one in question. And to answer your question, no.. nobody sells individual connectors. But if you do find someone, let me know.. I need a few random plugs that have fallen apart as well.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by baron340
Sounds like you have a bigger problem than just a broken connector. If it's rotated all the way around and pushing against the cam cap, something isn't right. Maybe post a pic of the one in question. And to answer your question, no.. nobody sells individual connectors. But if you do find someone, let me know.. I need a few random plugs that have fallen apart as well.
Her car was in a pretty bad collision, and after it was "fixed", she reported that the CEL was on since the repair. I think she was pretty stupid for not demanding that they fix the car right then and there. That was over two years ago. Of course now that it's time for emissions, so its only a problem now for her now.

My guess is that the EGR was replaced with either the wrong model, or some shitty Autozone brand. The EGR only has two bolts, so you really can only mount it the correct way, or turned 180 degrees in the opposite direction. It shouldn't be possible to just **** it slightly to the side. You know?

Either that or, the top of the EGR with the connector piece broke off, and was glued back on.

I think I'm gonna just make her order a new one from Honda and I'll reinstall it without the connector for now anyway. I will let you know if and when I find some connectors for sale.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe honda sell the pins + connectors

you'll have to dig around to get the correct part numbers though
Old 03-29-2010, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by theineffable
i believe honda sell the pins + connectors

you'll have to dig around to get the correct part numbers though
I tried Majestic Honda (hondaautomotiveparts.com), I didn't call Honda directly though. That might be it...
Old 03-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

majestic honda is honda directly. but don't make her buy a new one direct from honda. i have two spare water necks in the garage, both with EGR that I don't need. just pm if you're interested, i promise it will be WAY cheaper.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by baron340
majestic honda is honda directly. but don't make her buy a new one direct from honda. i have two spare water necks in the garage, both with EGR that I don't need. just pm if you're interested, i promise it will be WAY cheaper.
Pmed. I'm actually rolling through TN soon on my way to FL. But it might just be easier to ship
Old 04-01-2010, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was finally able to get her to take a picture of the damn EGR. After taking several looks at the pictures, I think I finally know what's up...

In the pictures, the broken connector was removed from the harness, and the wires are all individually plugged into the EGR itself. With that said, notice how the female side on the EGR looks half cocked? I'm thinking that's the culprit. The angle at which the EGR is turned is also kinda weird as well...