Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

DTC codes have me confuse ! any one help ??

Old 03-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DTC codes have me confuse ! any one help ??

OK so i search all over im still confuse.. I have a 2001 Honda Civic EX coupe automatic with two engine codes. The car makes a whining noise at idle or when you give it gas it comes from the transmission area. Sound like when you have a bad ground on your AMP (radio) Also when the car warms up and you take it down the road out of no where trannys feel harsh when shifting into 2nd from 1st.

what im confuse is that theres multiple reason why the first code can come up and 2nd code. I chec other people threads reagarding each DTC and no one has both of them at the same time they have other codes but not these two together. Can you help please !

1st.
P1298 - bad ELD

I have search around some people say its a 02 sensor others to replace the ELD on the fuse box and theres even a TBS for it.

at the same time I have a second DTC

2nd-

P0730- Incorrect gear ratio

same thing some people say I have to replace the hole transmission, other selonoids.
and now i just finish reading that the 1st code might be the one messing everyting up for the voltage not been properly.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: DTC codes have me confuse ! any one help ??

Yes, change the ELD first. Then, with the ignition off, reset the ECM/PCM by pulling fuse #6 in the under-hood fuse box for at least 10 seconds. If the code comes back you have tranny problems.

I couldn't find thread on H-T but, I posted about the ELD TSB here (post #3): http://www.civicforums.com/forums/36...-01-civic.html

If replacing the ELD doesn't fix it then a quick way to check if you need a tranny or repair to the control system is to drain the ATF thru a strainer into a clean container (in case the ATF is good). Look and see if there's any metal debris in the strainer. If there is , get a new tranny. If not, it's the control system.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lazlong
Yes, change the ELD first. Then, with the ignition off, reset the ECM/PCM by pulling fuse #6 in the under-hood fuse box for at least 10 seconds. If the code comes back you have tranny problems.

I couldn't find thread on H-T but, I posted about the ELD TSB here (post #3): http://www.civicforums.com/forums/36...-01-civic.html
ok thank you! i would place the order for the ELD tomorrow and update this thread so future member with these problem have a idea.
hopefully i wont have to change trans and its crazy how much these trans go for..
Old 03-27-2011, 11:25 AM
Trial User

Hi, did replacing the ELD help? I have exactly the same codes popping up. The mechanic could not make heads or tails out of it, but said to only replace the ELD, reset everything and see what happens. The dealer wanted to replace the transmission and ELD.

Thanks,
Brian