Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Complete loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete loss of power

I have a 2002 LX. I was driving dirt roads this morning, and they were rough. I was going up a hill, and the car dies. It hesitates to start back up, and now it has hardly any take off power. It loud under the hood now, but it's muffled really bad at the engine if that makes any sense. Makes kind of a HUMMMMM sound when I rev the engine. I did get gas this morning, but it didn't start acting funky til around 40-50 miles into the tank. I have put in HEET and some octane booster. As I drove a while trying to get that worked through the fuel system, it got to where it wouldn't go over 3500 rpms. It would just bounce. Then, after I turn off the engine, and go ask someone about that, go back out, it quit doing it. It's not making any sense. About 3 weeks ago I changed the plugs, but they look fine. I've also taken out the O2 sensor, and reved up the engine to see if that would allow it to run smoother, thinking that would eliminate a clogged catalytic converter. I just went and drove it again after the engine completely cooled, and it seemed to do better, but it still is completely gutless in take off power. I'm lost at what to do now. Are there any suggestions that y'all may have?
Old 09-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Complete loss of power

engine sludge?
Old 09-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your in Limp Mode (so you can limp it to the shop). Sounds like you have a loose connection somewhere from driving on a rough road, which would put it in Limp Mode. Reset the ECM/PCM: with the ignition off, pull under-hood fuse #6 for 10 seconds. If that doesn't do it hook up a diagnostic tool/code reader and see if it's throwing a code (this will help narrow the problem). Post the code if any. Also check for loose connections.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's a lot better this morning, but still has no take off power. If in park, if I step on the gas real fast, it hesitates for about 3/4 of a second before revving up. I've checked every plug I can see, and nothing is loose as far as I can tell. I reset the ECU yesterday, it didn't act any different. I went to autozone yesteray too to try to get them to read codes, even though the check engine light isn't on. They fed me full of bull and told me they didn't have a reader, when I know someone that had used it 2 weeks ago from there. I'll go back again today to see if someone else is working that'll help, and I'll post back. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ozzfreak
I went to autozone yesteray too to try to get them to read codes, even though the check engine light isn't on. They fed me full of bull and told me they didn't have a reader, when I know someone that had used it 2 weeks ago from there. I'll go back again today to see if someone else is working that'll help, and I'll post back. Thanks.
Try another place if that doesn't work. Oreilly's, NAPA, even Quick lube places have 'em. Your mechanic will probably charge a small fee (not $70) but, they all have diagnostic tools.

edit: Dude! You live in BFE. If you didn't live 8 hrs away I'd come and read it myself.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oreilly's told me to go to autozone yesterday haha. I live in a tiny town of only about 4000 people, and those are the only two auto part stores.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

went back up there, and asked another guy, right in front of the one that told me they didn't have the code reader. He grabbed it right from under the counter. We went out, and it's showing P1129. MAP sensor. Does that sound right? The car was running pretty good this morning, but now that it's getting warmer outside, I can't hardly idle. It died a lot on me while I was idling a few minutes ago. I went ahead and ordered the MAP sensor, but they can't get it til wednesday because of labor day. Hopefully this will fix it.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

any help is appreciated before I spend the money on the new map sensor tomorrow. Thanks
Old 09-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a bad map sensor would cause the car to stumble...

btw, have fun changing it! you'll probably have to remove a bunch of stuff to get at it. if i remember correctly, it sits behind the engine and under the airbox. when you remove the sensor, make sure you don't lose the little o-ring.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I changed the sensor and it still does it. I'm sitting at the shop right now. We are all leaning toward jumped timing belt
Old 09-14-2010, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I changed the sensor and it still does it. I'm sitting at the shop right now. We are all leaning toward jumped timing belt
then check the timing? you'll need to remove the valve cover
Old 09-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just an update on what fixed it. Timing belt had jumped 1 tooth. New belt on now and runs better then when I got the car
Old 09-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just an update on what fixed it. Timing belt had jumped 1 tooth. New belt on now and runs better then when I got the car
why did it jump a tooth?

how many miles were on the car? was it on the original timing belt?
Old 09-21-2010, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was going up a steep dirt road and it down shifted. Tires started spinning so I left off the gas real quick which then caused it to jump. Car has 135,000 and yes it was original. I just bought the car at 127,000
Old 09-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your timing belt is running on borrowed time, have it changed before it breaks and possibly damages your engine.