Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2001-2005-78/)
-   -   Clicking Noise while in Park (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2001-2005-78/clicking-noise-while-park-2733850/)

11:11 02-25-2010 04:30 AM

Clicking Noise while in Park

I just recently bought a clean 2004 Civic LX, and I'm baffled by a clicking noise eminating from the console area next to the parking brake. It only does it when I'm in park, and press on the brake.

Once I'm in drive, it disappears. I've already tried searching, but apparently the clicking noises other people are hearing are different from what I'm experiencing. Any help explaining this would be greatly appreciated!

11:11 02-25-2010 06:16 AM

Re: Clicking Noise while in Park

No one else has experienced this on a 7th generation civic?

97twodoor 02-25-2010 08:40 AM

Is the noise coming from inside or outside? Check your exhaust hangers and make sure none of them are rusted off or not in the rubber hangers.

11:11 02-25-2010 09:15 AM

It sounds as though it's inside the car. Listening carefully, leads me to believe it's somewhere around the parking brake handle.

theineffable 02-25-2010 12:53 PM

your automatic has a shifter lockout feature that prevents you from shifting into gear unless your foot is on the brake. when you are in park and you depress the brake, the lockout feature is disengaged (that clicking sound is probably a little solenoid that's disengaging the shifter lockout).

ourbloodykisses 02-25-2010 01:33 PM

this is normal.

11:11 02-26-2010 06:39 AM

Awesome. Thanks guys!

I thought that it might have been some sort of solenoid related to the parking mechanism. As long as it's normal to have it be that loud.

ken9 02-26-2010 06:54 AM

I got civic 02 i hear clicking noise going into reverse, would that be the solenoid too?

97twodoor 02-26-2010 06:59 AM

Does it happen when you step on the brake and shift from park to reverse?

11:11 02-26-2010 07:51 AM

Mine happens under these conditions:

A. The car is running
B. The shifter is in Park

Pressing on the brake pedal while the above conditions are met, I get the clicking noise.

97twodoor 02-26-2010 08:09 AM

Sorry, i was trying to get some more info from ken9 about his problem. But with your car that is a normal sound.

ken9 02-28-2010 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by 97twodoor (Post 41704750)
Does it happen when you step on the brake and shift from park to reverse?

Yes and sometimes i don't hear the clicking noise when putting the car into park then reverse again.. Not sure what's.. I ask a mechanic and he said that normal.. Don't know...

DynastyRacer22 02-28-2010 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by 11:11 (Post 41705254)
Mine happens under these conditions:

A. The car is running
B. The shifter is in Park

Pressing on the brake pedal while the above conditions are met, I get the clicking noise.

thats normal my car does the same thing also

space_eyes 03-01-2010 03:51 PM

Yeah, actually I just noticed this today myself... I don't think that normally it's that loud, to me it sounds like something needs to be adjusted, like something is loose or something...

Not a biggie right but will definitely get the console apart to have a look....

dogfish 01-03-2017 02:08 PM

I started to get the clicking noise after I bleed my brakes. I know it wasn't making this noise before I did the brake flush. WEIRD!

HondaEddy 01-04-2017 05:52 AM

I had this same noise but a little different. It sounds like a muffled clicking in the console/vent area. It happens only when i turn the key to the on position but not starting the car. weird. I link a video of it blow though to see if you have the same thing.

Chuck Robinson 01-05-2017 10:35 AM

Your noise is the Shift lock solenoid releasing the pin in the shift column. The pin prevents the shifter from moving out of park before the brake peddle is pressed. When you bleed the brakes, all of the peddle pumping was causing the the pin to repeatedly engage and disengage. Now you hear it because the grease is probably written off, or the had of the pin is a little warped. One way or another, it is not an issue that I would stress about. My 01 has clicked since day one

digisol 06-24-2017 04:26 PM

My newish HRV after 15 mths has started doing the exact same thing when in the park position, it's a fairly loud audible click noise and the click can also be felt through the gear selector.
Got me stuffed what's going on, but it never did this before today.
The Honda team will probably charge me again for a car fault, so much for a warranty.

Vincent Price 04-17-2019 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by theineffable (Post 41696455)
your automatic has a shifter lockout feature that prevents you from shifting into gear unless your foot is on the brake. when you are in park and you depress the brake, the lockout feature is disengaged (that clicking sound is probably a little solenoid that's disengaging the shifter lockout).

Yeah that's what it is but any ideas on fixing it? Mine started when the cruise went out. I changed the on off switch, brake pedal switch, and steering wheel cruise control switch. My cruise still isn't working. Clicks like the guy stated, but if I unplug the cruise control under the hood, it stops; but no cruise.control.. Anybody figure it yet?

Giovanni Smith 09-22-2020 03:43 AM

My 2016 honda Crv has the same clicking sound. It appears only happen when I am in park and neutral. Any other gear, reverse, drive, sport, and low, has no sound. It seems to originate from the drivers side foot well area, and when I felt around, a relay seems to vibrate when the sound omits. I was told it was the MICU computer, but other than that I have not seemingly to had any other problems.

HondaMotorsport 07-13-2021 11:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Same in my Honda Civic coupe lx 2003 clicking only in park Already changed out sensor and it is still doing it. It seems to cause no harm but I figured I’d post the video anyways so everyone can see underneath then plastic what sensor it is. Changing out the sensor doesn’t do anything.

Christopher1979 11-27-2022 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by theineffable (Post 41696455)

I have an 03 accord ex 2.4l 4 door sedan been driving it for a while no clicking sound when in park and foot on the brake no after I replaced the back pads rotors and calipers it makes a clicking sound under the shifter plate (pp,r,n,d plate) again never made a sound before also the pedal goes almost to the floor to stop have bled the back calipers still no change and don't know why any info would be a big help