Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

civic ex high beams ground, low beam no ground

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 11:56 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default civic ex high beams ground, low beam no ground

I have a 2002 Civic EX. A week ago, when i got my emissions done, the inspector slammed my hood. Until last night, I didn't need my headlights. The will not turn on at all. Not sure if its related.

Running lights work and high beams work. The bulbs looked borderline so I replaced. The fuses are good and relay is good. Im getting power at the connector, and when the high beams are active, the connector is grounded with two hots. But when the lows are active, there is no ground and three hots. If I shoot ground to the pin while lows are active, they work. Switch or bad ground maybe? If ground, then what is the location?

HELP PLEASE!!!
Old 04-10-2017, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: civic ex high beams ground, low beam no ground

Hello,
Does this happen to both low beams on the right and on the left ? .... Check the socket for oxidation that makes bad connection between the ground and the bulb. Could be the ground wire to the low beam. Check the wiring to the lights for anomalies or cuts. As a temporary solution ... you may connect a ground wire to the low beam.

Good luck
​​​​​​​amc
Old 04-10-2017, 01:15 PM
Trial User

Both low beams stopped working at the same time. I'll check the ground.

Thanks AMERC for the timely response
Old 06-05-2017, 08:36 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by UrbanLungs
Both low beams stopped working at the same time. I'll check the ground.

Thanks AMERC for the timely response
Hello! Did you get this fixed? If so, what was the problem. I have an '01 Honda Civic and one day, the dim lights quit working. The brights, blinkers, parking lights, tail lights, brake lights are all working fine. So, I replaced the dimmer switch. It worked for a day and that night, quit working. I was told the bulbs were blown so I replaced the bulbs. It worked for a day and that night, quit working. Fuses are good. Bulbs are all secure. There is no oxidation on the sockets. I can't get it inspected (I'm in 'Texas and as of this date, the State still requires an inspection). Several people have tried to fix it and apparently it's kicking everyone's ***. So, I am looking for a solution.
The person I bought the car from installed some things that required wiring. When I removed the cover under the steering wheel - omg. It is a cluster of wires and it looks very ominous. If I have to trace the wiring, I'm a little scared.
Thanks in advance for any help!