Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Civic 04 gas pedal not responding with engine light on. Few startups later now workin

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 02:57 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic 04 gas pedal not responding with engine light on. Few startups later now workin

Hey Honda-Tech,

Just a few hours ago my car was having some issues. I got into the car to start it, and I noticed that ignition took longer than usual, however it started just fine. I headed down the road and was sitting at a red light. The light went green so I pressed on the gas pedal and my car wasn't responding, I was rolling back. I stopped the car, pulled the keys out and put my emergency lights on. I tried starting the car, it started fine however the engine light was now on and the gas pedal was still not responding. I repeated trying to start the car a few times until I gave up and sat for a few minutes in the middle of the road. I tried one more time, and now the gas pedal was responding, engine light still on. I went into a parking lot and sat for awhile until I was ready to drive home. I started the car back up, gas pedal responding again, yet engine light has now turned off, and car is running perfectly fine.

Anybody have recommendations on what this could be? Is my car safe to drive?
Old 03-09-2017, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Civic 04 gas pedal not responding with engine light on. Few startups later now wo

What code do you have stored?

Are you low on ATF?
Shift cable worn or out of adjustment?
ATF pump worn or binding?
Regulator valve stuck or spring worn?
ATF strainer clogged? How many miles do you have? What has been the history of the ATF maintenance? Any flushing - it's a no-no just drain and fills.
Internals to transmission worn or damaged.