Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

2001 Civic battery light

Old 10-22-2018, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Civic battery light

Hey all, hoping you can help me solve this issue.

2001 Civic HX 5 speed

Battery light remains illuminated, solid light doesn't flash or flicker.

What I've done so far:
-Replaced drive belts/checked tension.
-Replaced 4 pin plug to alternator with new unit.
-Replaced engine grounds (Head to chassis, and Neg terminal and Starter to chassis).
-Replaced alternator with tested good OEM Denso unit from LKQ with 52k miles.
-Replaced battery with new.
-Cleaned/sanded contact points on alternator pivot point/tensioner bracket to increase conductivity.
-Cluster self-test performed, zero errors.

Battery light remains on still, voltage at idle is perfect and there are zero drive issues such as dimming lights etc. No CEL active or otherwise.

I've read on some threads it could possibly be the voltage regulator module or something which is in the main fuse box under the hood, but I've heard that typically throws a CEL when it's the culprit so I'm not sure. It's pretty cheap so I'm inclined to swap it out anyway.

Anyone have any insight on this? At this point it literally doesn't effect the car in the slightest other than the light being on, one part of me says pull the cluster and electrical tape over the back of the battery light spot since I hate seeing the light on but the other part of me can't bear to do this and wants to fix it for good!
Old 10-23-2018, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: 2001 Civic battery light

Test in the order listed: battery, charging system indicator (bulb must be ok in your case), alternator/regulator circuit, alternator control system.
May need to repair a short in the wire from alternator to charging system indicator bulb or if wire is shorted then the voltage regulator within alternator may be damaged. Check for an open in the wire from alternator to fuse/relay box.
I wish I had the wire colours for you.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I see you mentioned you were thinking of swapping the gauge cluster in previous posts. Did you do that as that might be a cause?
Did you have loose alternator bolts as this would cause shorting (ground is through these contacts) and may have damaged the PCM and hence the battery light on?

Good post here: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...t-stays-2.html
Old 10-23-2018, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the input, I'll take a look. Has me scratching my head since the battery voltage tests perfect, the alternator output voltage is good but the dang light just won't go out. I hate electrical, I'll swap a headgasket/timing belt before I rewire/re-pin a chassis harness.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The cluster swap was for a cousin of mine with his car, he ended up ditching the option as the auto cluster wiring pinout differed too much from the manual chassis it was going into. My cluster swap was from a 5 speed EX '01 sedan and was plug and play other than me needing to place a rubber cap over the ABS bulb as it was illuminating due to my HX not having it.