Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Car stalled, only start with gas pressed, rough idle.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 Car stalled, only start with gas pressed, rough idle.

I have a 2004 Honda Civic EX I was driving to work and I stopped at a red light. The car stalled and would not restart unless I held the gas down. Once I got it to start it would either stall again or if it stayed running it would idle very rough. I replaced the spark plugs the air filter and I was going to replace the fuel filter but when I went to go buy it at Advanced they told me it was a non serviceable item. Does anybody have any idea what this could be maybe a sensor of some type or does anybody know a general direction in which I could go?
Old 08-31-2017, 11:52 AM
utn
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car stalled, only start with gas pressed, rough idle.

Is your check engine light on? I would assume if it's having that much trouble running, it will throw an error code. If so, get that checked out at any parts store for free.
One random guess would be that one or more of your ignition coils is not working.
Did you replace your spark plugs before this started happening? Maybe you did not torque them correctly and are having leaks? Maybe you did not plug all ignition coils back in well enough?

The auto store guy is right - the fuel filter is a combination part with the fuel pump. It's not sold separately as just a filter. You pretty much have to buy a new pump unit to get a new filter.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I changed the plugs after this problem started. I can buy a new fuel filter from advance but it takes almost two weeks to get here and I don't have time for that. My check engine light is on because of the O2 sensor after the cat in the exhaust because I have an exhaust leak that needs to be welded. The O2 sensor is brand-new I just replaced it last year before inspection. So maybe it is throwing more than one code but I should get that checked I just haven't got around to it. Also fortunately I have found a way to buy a new car but I still need this car due to the of Mount of driving that I do on a daily basis for work. I will check the code when I can get it to a computer. But any other ideas would be greatly appreciated until then thanks you guys are awesome
Old 09-01-2017, 05:16 AM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely check the codes, that's what they are there for, to aid in diagnostics. It could be so many things that you can't physically check i.e. sensors that it's difficult if not impossible to fix over a forum without basically just listing all the parts that could be wrong and having you replace them one by one. Once you check the codes then we are getting somewhere.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I checked the codes....evap leak and purge flow....should there be coolant in the line on the bottom of the idle control valve?
Old 09-03-2017, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I cleaned the idle control valve....and seems to be running ok...yes there should be coolant I answered my own question