Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

A/C compressor relay bypassed

Old 06-27-2019, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C issue! HELP

I have a 2001 Honda Civic DX, automatic with the D17A1.
I've looked a lot of places and it seems like there is no straight answer, as I'm sure there still won't be. I'm leaving on vacation in a week and hope I can get the AC working properly.
I'm leaving on vacation in 4 days and trying to figure this out.

The air conditioning worked 4 months ago but after it was parked I realized the schrader valve was leaking. I took it to a shop and had them EVAC and recharge the system along with replacing the valves.
Still no AC.

I replaced the A/C control module on the dash.
When I press the AC button on the dash, the condenser fan kicks on like it should.

I then bypassed the compressor relay with a bent bobby pin and the compressor clutch kicks in and works but obviously it stays on constantly (doesn't cycle on and off), it blows cool AC!
The refrigerant is perfect hi and low side.
Could it possibly be the pressure switch or the thermal protector? I'm not very good with A/C but can replace the parts myself just need some help diagnosing. I do have a volt-meter if I need to test connections.

Sorry to be a burden and I'm sure this is posted everywhere.

Thank you so very much!

Last edited by nickitt; 06-28-2019 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Additional information added
Old 07-08-2019, 12:45 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: A/C compressor relay bypassed

I'm having a similar issue as you except my fan isn't coming on either ... I have a power probe and multimeter on its way to run the tests you mentioned above, right now i suspect a bad compressor ground/sensor
The following users liked this post:
Old 07-08-2019, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Shadow2
I'm having a similar issue as you except my fan isn't coming on either ... I have a power probe and multimeter on its way to run the tests you mentioned above, right now i suspect a bad compressor ground/sensor
I still cannot figure it out.
I removed the thermal protector and bypassed it and the clutch still doesn't kick on unless I put a paperclip on 2 contacts on the under hood fuse block where the compressor relay is.
Just got back in town so I decided to pick up my WRX, it at least has A/C and is turboed LOL.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:33 PM
Trial User

Did you swap the relays around for a quick test? I used the headlight relay socket to test all the others in my car ....

You should bust out your multimeter and test everything, Pressure Sensor, Evap Temp Sensor i just read about that one it will kill the condenser too.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Shadow2
Did you swap the relays around for a quick test? I used the headlight relay socket to test all the others in my car ....

You should bust out your multimeter and test everything, Pressure Sensor, Evap Temp Sensor i just read about that one it will kill the condenser too.
Pressure sensor is good, I think, when unplugging it the fans kick off. I haven't checked the temp sensor, that's the last thing I have left before I just sell the damn thing. Just put all new struts on it and tires too! LOL. Might wait until at least after winter because the heater works perfect.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:38 PM
Trial User

I just ran the same test ... on one my other civic, AC and fan stop when pressure sensor is pulled. I would assume the same would happen with all the other sensors, but a test to confirmation would be ideal. Are their any a Honda techs in the house?