Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

04 civic - passenger window not coming down?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 04 civic - passenger window not coming down?

hi
so my civic ex 04 recently started having some weird window issues.
One of my passenger windows (the left side to be precise) has just stopped working. That is, neither the master switch on the driver side nor the corresponding left passenger switch is making the window even want to move. It's completely immobile. It was working a few days ago. I really do not know how to troubleshot this as im not a car expert. The window is currently completely closed, and can't get it to go down. Here are a few things I noticed/ I've tried so far:

1. Its only on one side. Yes, it only the left passenger. all the other windows work fine even the sunroof works fine.
2. neither the master nor the passenger switch can make it work.
3. It doesnt even sound like its trying to move. Ive read online that some times its the motor that fails. Well when that happens the window may have been failing for a while before completely dying no? also, the window does not even attempt to move when either switch is pressed. Like the motor isnt even trying to bring the window down, nothing, no sound, no twich, nothing.
4. All the fuses are fine. Ive checked the fuses and nothing.
5. Tried the power window reset thing online (hold down for 2 sec then all the way up for 2 sec while key is in ON or something like that, i dont remember the steps but you know what i mean).
6. The kids door lock switch is off, i tried flipping it ON to OFF and back and it didnt help.
7. Noticed it after my last car wash - relevant? Idk im just including it for completeness. My last car wash was 4 days ago and i remember closing the windows fine... then after that i dont even remember if i tried opening tbh until today...
8. Had a timing belt and some major engine workup 2 days ago. Idk if this is relevant either but they did some major work up on my car a few days ago after the wash.. (gasket replacement, timing belt replacement, rotors) they had to disconnect the battery so are they related?

So here is what i've got so far. Any advice or help as to which way to go/ what to test next would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-16-2017, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 04 civic - passenger window not coming down?

Pretty simple to check and see where the problem is. Pull the door panel and unplug two conductor lead plugged to motor. It may have just come loose. Turn power on and check for around 12 volts dc at connector. Moving switch up or down should show just a polarity change. If NO voltage is found, you just have to start back tracking the various pin connections till the open connection is found. My guess is the motor quit. I think with these, the whole motor and regulator has to be changed. You can get them used at the salvage yard for 20 bucks and new replacements on Amazon and ebay for about 50 bucks. Prolly a dozen U tube vids will show how to check, replace everything.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 04 civic - passenger window not coming down?

My car had the same problem but with the front passenger window. Turned out to be a poor connection on the master switch connector under the door trim. I would check that first make sure the connections are clean. To test the motor, unplug it and get a 12v battery slap a couple test wires on it and carefully touch a negative to one wire on the motor connector and the positive to the other. If the motor moves, great, reverse the test wires now and see if it moves in the opposite direction. If that works your motor is fine. As bandit said you should check for 12v on the motor connector while hitting the switch in either direction, the polarity should reverse when you flip the switch up and down as well I believe. If none of this works I would say it could be a defective master switch, or there could be an issue with one of your wires north of the master switch.