Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Aftermarket speakers

Old 03-12-2019, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket speakers

So I have a 2004 Honda civic ex Coupe that I recently swapped the radio out on. I have now a Kenwood Excelon DPX793BH and I want to swap out the factory speakers because frankly, they suck. I dont want to spend all this money on speakers for them not to work either so any suggestions would be great. (First time with a speaker swap be nice)

Last edited by RealGingerHacks; 03-12-2019 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-15-2019, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Aftermarket speakers

Yeah, the speakers suck. I kept the headunit, but swapped the door speakers with 3-way Pioneers. Bit of work to make them fit clearance-wise. Sounds better to me and that was all I was willing to upgrade with the audio on this car.

Oh and I did get an AUX cord for smartphones that plugs into the CD Changer port in the back of the factory unit.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NDNV
Yeah, the speakers suck. I kept the headunit, but swapped the door speakers with 3-way Pioneers. Bit of work to make them fit clearance-wise. Sounds better to me and that was all I was willing to upgrade with the audio on this car.

Oh and I did get an AUX cord for smartphones that plugs into the CD Changer port in the back of the factory unit.
what wattage did you stick with when swapping them and did you swap the tweeters if you had any
Old 03-16-2019, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Best buy has inexpensive speakers. Kenwood KFC-1666R. if you look online though the weekly ads for your nearby location, you'll find them. I bought mine for $20. Are they the greatest? No, but its a whole lot better than stock, or in my case not having any at all (blown). Luckily i have the LX special edition with the double din unit that has the aux.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RealGingerHacks
what wattage did you stick with when swapping them and did you swap the tweeters if you had any
Pioneer TS-A1672R (10 years old now and used in 2 vehicles) and doubt they sell them anymore but you get the idea https://www.crutchfield.com/S-P8ttUI...TS-A1672R.html
6 1/2 inch 3-way 220W
Freq response range is 30-28000Hz
Tweeter is built in

Old 03-20-2019, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NDNV
Pioneer TS-A1672R (10 years old now and used in 2 vehicles) and doubt they sell them anymore but you get the idea https://www.crutchfield.com/S-P8ttUI...TS-A1672R.html
6 1/2 inch 3-way 220W
Freq response range is 30-28000Hz
Tweeter is built in
I've been looking at pioneer, scosche, kicker, Sony snd at this point I dont wsnt to spend too much for them not to work at all so I've been looking for speakers under the 50w mark
Old 03-21-2019, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldn't get the scoshe or the low end pioneer or kicker from walmart. I like the memphis pr ones in my car now. You can aim the tweeters which is nice. I also liked the kicker ks and alpine type s that were in at some point. The one inch spacers were too thick so I had to get 3/4 inch so the door panels would go back on. And the spacer rings didn't fit tight and flush. So I put some layers of that foil stuff from home depot, looks like dynamat. Also the civic wiring is like dental floss. So I used some nice 16 gauge stinger from the speakers to the head unit. No rear deck speakers currently. Check out how affordable some nice speakers and wiring can be from sonic electronics, half price car audio, woofers etc.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondandy
I wouldn't get the scoshe or the low end pioneer or kicker from walmart. I like the memphis pr ones in my car now. You can aim the tweeters which is nice. I also liked the kicker ks and alpine type s that were in at some point. The one inch spacers were too thick so I had to get 3/4 inch so the door panels would go back on. And the spacer rings didn't fit tight and flush. So I put some layers of that foil stuff from home depot, looks like dynamat. Also the civic wiring is like dental floss. So I used some nice 16 gauge stinger from the speakers to the head unit. No rear deck speakers currently. Check out how affordable some nice speakers and wiring can be from sonic electronics, half price car audio, woofers etc.
when it comes down to the wiring I was just going to use an adapter for the factory plug that goes to aftermarket speakers and the only reason I was aiming torwards scosche and such is because I'm on a pretty tight budget
Old 03-23-2019, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I paid 6 bucks each for the alpines and the memphis. They were in hondas at the pull a part.
Polk db 6inch from crutchfield for 60, Memphis SR from crutchfield for 40. Plus they are cool and give you the install stuff that fits your car. So factor that into the total price. You can just plug the clip into the new speakers and use the old wiring. The speaker rings will be the type that go in like the factory speakers, with a clip on one side and a screw on the other side. I like drilling holes and making the generic rings super tight and sealed off. Then mount the speaker to those using shorter screws that go deep enough but not all the way through. Play a test tone sweep through them to find all the little rattles.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondandy
I paid 6 bucks each for the alpines and the memphis. They were in hondas at the pull a part.
Polk db 6inch from crutchfield for 60, Memphis SR from crutchfield for 40. Plus they are cool and give you the install stuff that fits your car. So factor that into the total price. You can just plug the clip into the new speakers and use the old wiring. The speaker rings will be the type that go in like the factory speakers, with a clip on one side and a screw on the other side. I like drilling holes and making the generic rings super tight and sealed off. Then mount the speaker to those using shorter screws that go deep enough but not all the way through. Play a test tone sweep through them to find all the little rattles.
I found a set of speakers online from hifisoundconnection with a quad speaker set with plug adapters 4 Harmony speakers for 89$ now I've never heard of harmony and idk how they sound any suggestions on that?
Old 03-24-2019, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No experience with those speakers, but since they are sold alongside the pyle/lanzar and boss stuff I wouldn't expect much. I wasn't able to put my 6x9 speakers in the rear since the magnets hit the lift spring(rods) back there. I'd rather have 2 good door speakers than 4 cheap ones. Also if you run subs at some point the air pressure will move those rear deck speakers and make them sound bad. I was able to buy a cd player (which I sold for a profit) at the pull a part, and it already had the civic mount kit with cubby hole, and the wire harness plug. If you look at the harness plug from an accord you will see it's the same, but the cars wiring is slightly larger for power and ground. I cut the junkyard cars original plug and used it when bench testing my parts. Then the door speakers I got had 1 inch thick rings and foam baffles already on them but I was only charged for the speakers. So I used that stuff at first but didn't like the foam. It is good for keeping the speakers dry though. In fact I killed the kicker ks speakers (my buddy gave me those) when using the foam baffles and a basic 22 watt pioneer cd player. That head unit had no way to select speaker size or set a crossover frequency, so I was getting the speakers too hot. Even though they sounded ok and not distorted they were clipping. I have a better head unit now I got as a factory refurbished really cheap on ebay. So you can destroy subs or small speakers even though you are below the max power. I have also picked up pioneer, kenwood, jbl and rockford 6x9s at the pull a part. If you destroy the speakers within 30 days just take them back for a store credit. The credit stays on you account so if you can't find something you can always come back another day. Try to hit the day they put out a row of cars in the import section. You get inside free that first time you sign up for a free vip card, then 1 buck afterwards. If you are doing a return you get in free. So always buy a foot of speaker wire or a small plastic trim item to return so you get in free. The nissan sentras have a fosgate sub in the back, you could try and get two of those and get some bass. Or pull speakers from a premium audio car with bose or infinity stuff. You can easily find walmart speakers in cars if you want to hear them, then take them back if they suck. Some basic pioneer ones may sound ok with just the limited power from a basic aftermarket cd player.