Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

2004 Honda Civic making a high pitched whining noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 07:32 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Honda Civic making a high pitched whining noise

Hello,

I am very new to forums and to car repairs in general but I noticed a somewhat highpitched noise. I have a 2004 Honda Civic SI hatchback. I just wanted some input on what it might be. It sounds a lot like the beginning of this video
which leads me to believe its a belt issue but when watching other videos of belt issues, it doesn't seem to sound like theirs. It does not get louder as I accelerate. Its not loud enough to hear over my radio at a low volume. It seems like it becomes a little more noticeable when I am in neutral and idling/coasting. Seems to get better as the car warms up but does not entirely go away.

Any input is greatly appreciated! If needed, I can post a video of the sound when I get home.

Thanks
Old 01-25-2016, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2004 Honda Civic making a high pitched whining noise

Originally Posted by truongal
Hello,

I am very new to forums and to car repairs in general but I noticed a somewhat highpitched noise. I have a 2004 Honda Civic SI hatchback. I just wanted some input on what it might be. It sounds a lot like the beginning of this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW_wpE3hG5k
which leads me to believe its a belt issue but when watching other videos of belt issues, it doesn't seem to sound like theirs. It does not get louder as I accelerate. Its not loud enough to hear over my radio at a low volume. It seems like it becomes a little more noticeable when I am in neutral and idling/coasting. Seems to get better as the car warms up but does not entirely go away.

Any input is greatly appreciated! If needed, I can post a video of the sound when I get home.

Thanks
Try to press your clutch pedal and see if it goes away, if it does than you need to change your clutch bearing.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:59 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by s0hayat
Try to press your clutch pedal and see if it goes away, if it does than you need to change your clutch bearing.
When starting up the car, I idled with the clutch pedal pressed, it still makes that noise

Is it most likely the timing belt?
Old 01-25-2016, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by truongal
When starting up the car, I idled with the clutch pedal pressed, it still makes that noise

Is it most likely the timing belt?
Well I believe that timing belt won't make a wining noise other think that come to mind are two things one is your power steering pump because if that goes bad does make a wining noise secondly air conditioning compressor clutch which does that if your car is running and turn the A/C on see if the noise goes away. Hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

My guess would be a loose exhaust heat shield.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NDNV
My guess would be a loose exhaust heat shield.
If that is the case than it won't be a wining noise it will rattle but checking it won't hurt anything.