Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

2003 Honda Civic LX Smoking Out of Exhaust Pipe after adding oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 08:21 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Honda Civic LX Smoking Out of Exhaust Pipe after adding oil

Hello, so,last night my civic wouldn't start and made this clicking noise. I saw that my oil was really low(no lights came on and I'm only around 300 miles over my next oil change due to my work schedule); I put around 3.5 quarts of 5W-20 in the car and it started just fine and drove fine.Today, I added another 1.5 quarts as the oil was still a lil low and I didn't wanna risk it not starting period. I decided to drive it down the street and it started to smoke some from the exhaust pipe. The oil is not overfilled at all at the level it's recommended at. I have no loose wires or screws and the car has been taken very good care of for 14 years with only 118k miles on it. I do need new motor mounts but besides that,nothing. The smoke is white and smells like burning rubber. The meter indicating how hot the car is does not rise at all and it still low. I'm really hoping that the car is not damaged due to it having low oil. Any suggestions on what it could be? I have no leaking oil as well. I did spill a little bit of oil but not a lot.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:49 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 2003 Honda Civic LX Smoking Out of Exhaust Pipe after adding oil

compression test it, you're probably smelling the oil you spilled burning off and never noticed it smokes on startup til it warms up
Old 11-05-2017, 03:36 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 2003 Honda Civic LX Smoking Out of Exhaust Pipe after adding oil

It's never smoked before at all before today and it's not even chilly outside so no need for it to warm up. I found out that the Exhaust Manifold has a slight, barely noticeable crack in it and I can see oil leaking on it from somewhere. It smokes a little bit under hood but only in one spot. And,that spot is where the spark plugs and head gasket are located. I'm starting to think it's the gasket as, there is oil residue around only that area and the oil is now barely leaking onto the ground. So,now I'm thinking it's a blown gasket but it still has me confused as to why it would be smoking after adding more oil this morning as opposed to last night when I added the oil when it wouldn't start. It also stalls some and shakes a little bit. I'm just confused as to why it did this today as opposed to last night when I originally added the oil.