Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2001-2005-78/)
-   -   2003 EX - Problems with Iginition? Takes a couple turns for car to turn over/start? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2001-2005-78/2003-ex-problems-iginition-takes-couple-turns-car-turn-over-start-2964698/)

BolivianFuego 08-02-2011 10:20 AM

2003 EX - Problems with Iginition? Takes a couple turns for car to turn over/start?

So on my EX, sometimes I'll hit the ignition after the second click, and it will just feel like the battery is dead.

So from trial and error I found that it wasnt the battery, :p but instead the starter (or so I thought). I had the Starter replaced like 2 months ago.

So fastforward to today, and its still doing the same thing. I'll turn the key and it will act as iff the battery is dead. But if I do it 5-6 times, around the 6th time the car will magically turn over/ on.

What is this? Is there some kind of defect with starters/ignition here that I dont know about?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

It Wasn't Me 08-02-2011 10:31 AM

Re: 2003 EX - Problems with Iginition? Takes a couple turns for car to turn over/star

Sounds like something may be wrong with the ignition switch.

BolivianFuego 08-02-2011 12:38 PM

Re: 2003 EX - Problems with Iginition? Takes a couple turns for car to turn over/star

Hmmm........

Thanks for the input.

Anyone else? I'll have to have the mechanic check it out. At 92k Miles, It wouldnt surprise me.

BolivianFuego 08-03-2011 05:43 AM

Anyone else?

Will maybe have video of it later today or tomorrow.

BolivianFuego 08-03-2011 11:45 AM

After doing a search, anyone think it could be the immobilizer chip inside the key?

AutoXer 08-03-2011 03:47 PM

I would start with the switch as stated. It sounds like it is worn and not making contact. If it was the chip, it wouldn't magically work after a few tries. Check the switch and come back with what you find.

BolivianFuego 08-04-2011 03:16 AM

The thing that makes me think its the chip, is how when it doesnt start the light key is blinking basically telling me "hey its the immobilizer stupid", is what I am thinking.

What do you guys think? From searching thats what I am gathering...

It Wasn't Me 08-04-2011 10:34 AM

It would have been nice if you had included that information in your original post.

It could be the key, although it's more likely the receiver.

BolivianFuego 08-04-2011 12:06 PM

SOrry about that. Didnt figure that out until I did some searching and figured out to notice the blinking light in front of me lol.

Reciever? WHere is that located and how much do they go for? And reciever of what? The signal the key is sending out?

It Wasn't Me 08-04-2011 02:02 PM

Try using the key and only the key, meaning take it off the keyring and use it. Sometimes objects close to the key can cause an issue.

The receiver is part of the ignition switch assembly. It's screwed to the key cylinder, and is easy to replace. Honda will have to program it, though. (IIRC)

Try the key thing first. If that doesn't work, I'll see about scribbling together the troubleshooting procedure.

BolivianFuego 08-05-2011 03:36 AM

Ok cool. Thanks! Will give feedback later this afternoon. Bout' to go to work.

DeanHondaPGH 08-05-2011 04:27 AM

Sounds like the ignition switch to me. If if was the imob. it would never start. The green key light on the dash would always be flashing as well.

BolivianFuego 08-05-2011 06:00 AM

If it was the ignition switch?

So is there a write up of how to replace it? How much is the ignition switch from honda?