Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

2002 Civic EX - Popping noise when turning and going over bumps?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 04:08 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Civic EX - Popping noise when turning and going over bumps?

For the past year, I've been dealing with an annoying noise coming from the front passenger side of the car. When turning up or downhill or driving over uneven surfaces and holes, the right passenger side pops. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from, but it sounds almost like the windshield, dash area, or the outside right of the car.

I took the car to a Honda dealer and they said that my right control arm bushing is weather cracked and the left is torn. They claim my front struts are also leaking(?????). They want me to pay for new struts and new bushings, and it's going to cost well over 900 dollars. I'm scheduled to get the parts put on tomorrow. Also, ever since I got my car back from them after they gave me the estimate, the noises have gotten much worse and my fuel economy has gone WAAAY down.

Today I went to a custom muffler and brake shop to get an estimate on an aftermarket exhaust. I had them give me an estimate on the same work Honda was going to do just out of curiosity, but the tech stated that there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with my struts and they don't look like they are leaking anything. They did not give at all when he jostled the car.

Now I'm confused. I don't know what to believe. Is the Honda place trying to screw me out of money? I need my car fixed by this weekend because I'm driving to California for a wedding. I do not want to drive through mountains with this noise.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2002 Civic EX - Popping noise when turning and going over bumps?

The control arm bushings are easy to verify. Jack the car up, pull the front wheel, and take a small flashlight and look it over. Get help from a friend who is mechanically inclined if you need to. While you are under there, take a look at the swaybar end link bushings as well, since a loose swaybar can account for suspension noise.

The only way a bad control arm would make noise is if the bushings are in really bad shape. You should be able to tell pretty easily. As far as the front struts, if they go bad, the tires will start to howl from uneven treadwear.

The brake caliper can also cause a lot of rattling noises if it gets loose.

I suggest you take it to a mechanic who will fully inspect the front suspension and show you exactly what it wrong.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Trial User

All right, so got the new struts and bushings put on today, and the noise is still there, and now it's louder! It doesn't occur as frequently, as in it takes a little more uneven surfaces and hills to get it to pop, but when it does, now it's even louder than before! I asked them about the possibility of bad sway bar links, axle, ball joints, etc., but they said that's not it.

God, all that money GONE. What the heck am I dealing with? Sound is coming from right front passenger side. Sounds like a loud POP! or a clunk, depending on how you hit it. Honda is going to check the suspension AGAIN, but I'm getting sick of the runaround!
Old 02-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hmm... have you checked the sway bar bushings?

There's only so many things it could be. You should put the car on jack stands, pull the wheels off, and inspect everything for wear and/or surface contact marks rather than spending money on parts you don't need. (again)
Old 02-19-2011, 04:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by It Wasn't Me
Hmm... have you checked the sway bar bushings?

There's only so many things it could be. You should put the car on jack stands, pull the wheels off, and inspect everything for wear and/or surface contact marks rather than spending money on parts you don't need. (again)
i agree
Old 02-23-2011, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did the noise leave the car?
Old 03-25-2011, 09:56 AM
Trial User

Sorry it's taken so long for me to respond. No, the noise has not left the car. I've taken it to three other mechanics who say that they have inspected the entire front suspension. They claim to find NOTHING wrong. Then why I drive it home, I hear popping every time I hit a manhole. Whenever I try to take a technician for a test drive in the car, the noise suddenly stops! This is so freaking frustrating! It's still only popping on the right front side. Whenever I pull into a raised parking lot where one side of the vehicle is higher than another. Or turning up or downhill.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Normal things i've seen make noise:

-Bad sway bar endlinks
-bad compliance bushings (these are notorious for going bad on '01 - '05 Civics)

Weird things i've seen make noise:

-Split bump stops inside the shock/strut
-Brake calipers missing a bolt allowing the caliper to swing outward slightly and hit the inside of the rim
-Loose lower control arm bolts
Old 03-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Things that could still be bad: top mount bushings, swaybar links and bushings, motor mounts, subframe dampers- if you have an automatic.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm having a similar problem...mechanic told me to replace my ball joint...so maybe thats what it is...?? anyone have any comments on that?
Old 04-13-2011, 10:50 AM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jmvtec05
i'm having a similar problem...mechanic told me to replace my ball joint...so maybe thats what it is...?? anyone have any comments on that?
It could be a ball joint. You can test them in the driveway, as well. Lift up one side of the car, and push the front tire at the top and bottom in a rocking motion. If it moves separate from the car's motion at all, the ball joint needs replacement.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by celestialwolven
Sorry it's taken so long for me to respond. No, the noise has not left the car. I've taken it to three other mechanics who say that they have inspected the entire front suspension. They claim to find NOTHING wrong. Then why I drive it home, I hear popping every time I hit a manhole. Whenever I try to take a technician for a test drive in the car, the noise suddenly stops! This is so freaking frustrating! It's still only popping on the right front side. Whenever I pull into a raised parking lot where one side of the vehicle is higher than another. Or turning up or downhill.
now that I think about it, maybe you should either have the tech sit in the back seat, behind you or just have them test drive the car themselves. Their weight in the passenger seat could have an effect while you're test driving the car.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fleabag
Their weight in the passenger seat could have an effect while you're test driving the car.
Imagine telling a lady that we had to align the car with her in it 'cause she was so large that it was affecting the alignment. lol.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same sound. I just fixed it today. It was the front pillow bushing on my lca. Cost all of 8 bucks for the part, but took some time and a 20 ton press to R&R the bushing...
Old 04-14-2011, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

where is the pillow bushing?
Old 04-14-2011, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lazlong
Imagine telling a lady that we had to align the car with her in it 'cause she was so large that it was affecting the alignment. lol.
Actually when you're aligning the headlights, that's exactly what you're suppose to do according to the helms manual.. A fat woman in a kia that veered to the right also had the same issue and they had to align the vehicle with her inside.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Plead da Fif

Originally Posted by jasrams
where is the pillow bushing?

I assume he's referring to the most-commonly replaced bushing; the compliance bushing.

See the following link from the FAQ's..
Front Lower Control Arm Bushings: Link
Old 04-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes its the front LCA bushing. I had a thump up front when the wheels were turned and hit a bump. When I removed the LCA the center of the bushing fell right out...

I used this procedure

Last edited by Alpheus; 04-14-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:38 PM
Plead da Fif

LOL, those are (more or less) the same instructions that I linked earlier.

Front Lower Control Arm Bushings: Link
Old 04-16-2011, 01:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Post Re: 2002 Civic EX - Popping noise when turning and going over bumps?

What the hell are you LOL'ing about? Have you bothered to read your link lately? The pics don't work. Im coming on here trying to help. I have forgotten more about Hondas than half of you KIDS will ever know.

Just because I have a small post count you think that gives you the right to insult me.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Plead da Fif

Originally Posted by Alpheus
What the hell are you LOL'ing about? Have you bothered to read your link lately? The pics don't work. Im coming on here trying to help. I have forgotten more about Hondas than half of you KIDS will ever know.

Just because I have a small post count you think that gives you the right to insult me.
screenshots (slightly reduced in size) from the page that I linked..

and

Oh my! Could it be?! Are those .. .. pictures?!

No one insulted you. You got all upset for nothing. LOL
Old 04-16-2011, 12:21 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Just because someone laughs doesn't mean they're insulting you... What an overreaction.

Coming in here and calling people kids and trying to pump yourself up sure won't make you any friends. Expect your posts to bring more LOLs with an attitude like that.

LOL
Old 04-16-2011, 01:01 PM
no one wants to hear the truth

My wife's 03 sedan had a similar noise and it was the strut top hat bushing which she already replaced twice..
Old 04-17-2011, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alpheus, is that a recall sheet from honda, or is it just telling the techs that if there are similar symptoms, this is what they need to check? I have a lot of noise when going over rough surfaces, and my bushings are worn/cracked.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:56 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I just double checked his link and saw pictures. Either you're on a network blocking the image host or your web browser is blocking the host, because there most certainly are pictures in his link.

Quick Reply: 2002 Civic EX - Popping noise when turning and going over bumps?