Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

2001 honda civic LX transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 2001 honda civic LX transmission problem

Hello guys,

I know the topic has been covered a lot of time. I have also visited FAQ more than 10 times.

All I need is to visit this page http://www.civicforums.com/forums/12...sion-swap.html to answer myself all possible question.

Still I need some advice.

My car is 2001 honda civic lx with auto transmission. Reading through treads I understand my car has D17 type of SOHC type of engine. Not sure how much horse power or anything else. I currently have roughly 130 k miles on it. the timing belt was change around 90k. it was running smoothly until the transmission is not acting or died.

If i have to change the tranny (word used on forums for "transmission" i think, lol) I want to go for manual. so here is my stupid question.

1.) I would love to have K20A2 engine drop in my car but certainly at this moment I can not afford it. What tranny should I buy that will work later on with K20A2? if down the road i go for engine swap.

2.) Parts List:

Trans
Manual Subframe
Trans Mounts
Shifter
Shift Linkage
Master Cylinder
Manual Axles (You only need the drivers side)
Slave Cylinder
Pedal Assembly
Starter
Clutch
Flywheel
Manual Center Console (Or just the shifter bezel piece)

Not needed but nice to have:

Manual ECU
Manual Cluster
Manual Dash Harness
Manual Engine Harness

Please let me know if anything I need or dont need as of today. As you know the post is very old. So Please advice me accordinly.

Thank you all and appreciate your support.

Peace.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:42 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Re: 2001 honda civic LX transmission problem

Originally Posted by theteju
1.) What tranny should I buy that will work later on with K20A2? if down the road i go for engine swap.
There isn't any. The K-series engine mounts on the opposite side of the engine bay. It shares nothing with the mounting of the D17.

Originally Posted by theteju
2.) Parts List:

Trans
Manual Subframe
Trans Mounts
Shifter
Shift Linkage
Master Cylinder
Manual Axles (You only need the drivers side)
Slave Cylinder
Pedal Assembly
Starter
Clutch
Flywheel
Manual Center Console (Or just the shifter bezel piece)

Not needed but nice to have:

Manual ECU
Manual Cluster
Manual Dash Harness
Manual Engine Harness

Please let me know if anything I need or dont need as of today. As you know the post is very old. So Please advice me accordinly.
What is this parts list for? I presume for a manual swap, but I'm just making sure.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you very much for reply.
Originally Posted by toyomatt84
There isn't any. The K-series engine mounts on the opposite side of the engine bay. It shares nothing with the mounting of the D17.
Ok. got it. So I should just find a manual tranny that will work with D17 for now. for K series swap its all new ball game.

Originally Posted by toyomatt84
What is this parts list for? I presume for a manual swap, but I'm just making sure.
yes, that part list is for automatic to manual swap. keeping the same D17 engine. What are your suggestions.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE : I just had a mechanic looked over the car with some engine code reader. and his machine gave us a code P0730.

Something about incorrect gear pressure.

In order to troublesoot I am looking towards a "solenoid" valve replacement to give it a shot. If that does not solve Its transmission for sure.

What do you guys know about the error code "P0730". again your advice much appreciated.

Peace.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys,

It narrows down to something called "shift control solenoid valve A/B". I could not find the location of which on any manual. Again, its 50-50 chances.

What do you guys suggest? does anyone run into same problem before? Where is the valve?
Old 02-08-2013, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just had that problem its not the solenoid save ur money because its going to get expensive now. That happened to me last month n it means ur clutches got bent while ur tranny overheated. Now u will have to get ur engine rebuild. I just rebuild mines this week. U can do it ur self its not really that difficult. Unleaded u live close to los Angeles I could help u out.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just had that problem its not the solenoid save ur money because its going to get expensive now. That happened to me last month n it means ur clutches got bent while ur tranny overheated.
Originally Posted by hello_kitty5
Now u will have to get ur engine rebuild. I just rebuild mines this week. U can do it ur self its not really that difficult. Unleaded u live close to los Angeles I could help u out.
Do you mean, Transmission rebuild or Engine itself?
Old 02-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I understand you are talking about transmission rebuild and not the engine itself.
I read some forums and it looks like yes fairly common problem. I need to buy a transmission overhaul kit to rebuilt the tranny. TCI used to make the kits but it has been discontinued.

What is a good quality rebuild kit available for my transmission? (2001 lx auto) Now I know my car has D17A1 engine.

I appreciate your help guys. Thanks you.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I meant transmission lol I have a 01 lx as well ur transmission ID IS BMXA but it should say it on the top of ur transmission towards the dip stick. Well I forgot the name of the brand I got but go to any rebuild transmission place u could get a kit there. When u do get the super rebuild kit cuz that comes with all the metal plates, clutches n orings. Cuz my 4th gear blew up n the metal plates bent. I spent about 450 for the kit, torque converter, the outer drum n other stuff that I needed.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good luck with the solenoid fix! Hope you can get her fixed up on the cheap!
Old 02-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When u do get the super rebuild kit cuz that comes with all the metal plates, clutches n orings. Cuz my 4th gear blew up n the metal plates bent. I spent about 450 for the kit, torque converter, the outer drum n other stuff that I needed.
I am going for this route. Hope you recall the brand you used. I found one of the post which was very discouraging. somebody said, be ready to sell the car once its fix, as rebuild trannys last from month to a year.

I looked some youtube video on tranny rebuilt. looks like pretty tough, Is it really doable with such kits.
Also, Is there any clutch in the Auto transmission?
any upgrade torque converter recommeded ?

I am sorry, I am not a mechanic and trying to learn as I go.

Thanks for replys guys.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's the same thing I thought when I saw the videos on YouTube I had my uncle help me n once we started everything is easy just make sure u remember how everything goes back or take pics. As for clutches we do have them but other people called them gears. As for performance clutches there's none just better materials. And for the torque converter i found 2 websites that do performance torque converters with better shifting. I'll look for it though.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Amazon is showing some result for rebuild kits. What do you have to say about that. the price is much different than what you mentioned.

for examples
  1. Amazon Amazon

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/S24A.html

Hey man, I really appreciate your replies. Thanks much.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I spent more cuz I didnt get the super kit. My mistake lol but there u have everything u need. N u might need a drum were the clutches go at depending if its cracked or not. This is what I got when I rebuild mines. Snap ring pliers, chisel, torque wrench, 1/2 wrench with sockets up to 1 8/16m, 7 bottles of atf, paint brush to clean the transmission, mineral spirit paint thinner make sure its oil base its a solvent to clean the tranny n keep it from rusting, a wide enough puller u can rent one in autozone. That I think of right now that's all I needed to do mines.

Where u live at.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I live in a small town from SW Florida. Which is why, don't even have big junk yard to do projects. Hey, I got most of the tools you mentioned except liquids to clean. I hope my drum should be fine. And first of all I need to buy a good jack lol.
Anyways, did you happten to recall the torque converter websites?

I surprise me how many options are out there for manual tranny but not so much for auto.!

Thanks again buddy.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah make sure u get a 2.5 ton jack it has to be the big wide ones. Well the website is jmousa.com this is the place for the torque converter. Yeah that's the same thing I said theres a lot for manual but not for auto unless its American lol. Well if the drum is cracked u will have tp replace it well depending which one it is because 1st n 3rd drum is the same n 2nd n 4th are in 1. If incase u need 1st or 3rd drum I could sell u mines. I bought it but found out mines was in still good condition. N the one I have is brand new. But I'll highly recommend on taking a lot of pictures cuz they will help a lot when u putting it back together.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok , I am re-opening my old post. after doing a lot of reading and getting some money, I am about to drop my transmission in few days. already ordered rebuild kit and will buy a new torque converter.

My question is, How many type of special tools will I need to open the transmission itself.

First of all, How should I get the lock nut off from the mainshaft and countershaft?

Looking all the youtube videos, I now understand, how to check for clearence of clutches, I do have manual. but I could not find any video and did not understand the manual where it say to break the lock nut with chesal !!!!

Please explain if you can.

thanks. I will keep updating this post as I go.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a set of brand new set of Synchros and seals from synchrotech for your tranny if your interested. I would ship them for 75.00 total. Let me know if you want em. I just had mine rebuilt but the synchros were in good shape so I didn't use them.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To take the counter shaft and the main shaft you have to use a impact wrench. To take the nuts off u have the spin it clock wise. The only special tool you'll need will be several snap ring tools and a torque wrench. But u really don't need the snap ring tools if u use a needle nose pliers that will work as well. Oh and one last thing u will need is a compressor to compress the springs that are in the clutches.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello Kittys,

I was awaiting your reply. Thank you so much. Yes I bought those nose pillers. I saw a video on youtube a guy made tool to compress those spring in the cluch assembly. I will do the same. watch

I am going to buy/loan jaw type bearing pullers.

Is there any bearning or bushing needs tobe pressed while putting back?

lastly,, Did you just pry the endcover off?

This is going to be expensive as I noticed, My lower control arm bushings are bad. I am going to replace engine mounts too. Ball joints will be replaced. wheel bearings are fine in my opinion.

Hope all these efforts will be worth at the end. LOL.

Hello Kitty5 : thanks again.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha that's funny cuz I had to replace my bushings as well and my front motor mount as well. Which end cover are u talking about? If u r talking about the back cover of the transmission then yes u will or if you talking about the middle cover well that one was a pain in the butt but yeah I pry it off but make sure you move the shift lever to the part that it can go through and make sure you that the tubes that are in there age not fallen off cuz those are very important to where they go but just incase they start falling off just let me know cuz I have all the measurements to where they go. Well the front bushing of the control ARM has to be tube press it was a pain in the a**. After I changed my motor mount the bushings and the tie rod end bushings it felt way better than it was before. But no problem that's y we r here to help others.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello KItty5: how did you support your motor to take the tranny off? Did you have engine hoist? or support bar?

I have none of those and I am planning to support the engine by putting a big wood block under the oil pan !!.. Is it possible?

Let me know. Thanks again.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used 2x4 that went from side to side where the strut mounts go at and one down the middle of the engine bay to for a T and then put a chain to the front stud where the exhaust manifold goes at and wrapped it around the wood and behind the thermostat and that held it in place.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update : ok. Finally Tranny is off the motor. I can tell, you have to remove the subframe and that is a bitch as the exhaust pipe and clutch cable is in way. but anyways.

I cleaned outside of the tranny with mineral spirit (paint theaner) it worked like a charm !

Waiting for the kit to arrive and will start opening it. PLease stay tuned if in case if get stuck.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am stuck st the middle cover. They call it the housing cover. How to pry it off. There is no point to pry. Dammm

Quick Reply: 2001 honda civic LX transmission problem