Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Honda has trouble starting sometimes and when it does it shakes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda has trouble starting sometimes and when it does it shakes?

New to this forum but got pointed to this site by a few people saying its a good place to start so hopefully some help will come along.

I have a 2002 Honda Civic Ex

About once every 4-5 days my car takes longer to turn on, instead of turning the key and a 2 second or so crank, I would have to have it turned cranking for a good 6-7 seconds and than the car runs.

But in that rare occasion when I have to really crank it to turn it on my car will shake a decent amount for about 5-10 seconds, I let it sit than im good to go and 0 problems driving etc... once it starts.

No clue whats causing it as I don't know too much about cars. Basically once in awhile it doesn't start as quick and I have to hold the key to ignition a little longer and once it starts car shakes.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda has trouble starting sometimes and when it does it shakes?

How many miles on the car? Have you kept up with maintenance? Do you have a check engine light? Does the shaking go away when the car is warmed up?
Old 11-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Trial User

sorry, it has right around 160,000, no engine light and pretty much typical maintenance when needed, oil change, air filters etc...

as far as the shaking, when it does do it, I sit for about 10 seconds or so and than it goes away and I never hear it again for the rest of the ride.

Also outside temp doesn't seem to matter as sometimes it'll be early in the morning and cold and car was sitting all night and than sometimes I just drove it 2 hours parked for maybe 2 minutes than it does it right after.

I was doing a little research any chance of the fuel filter or something with the fuel injection system?
Old 11-25-2012, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Try using a fuel system cleaner that you can buy at stores like Lucas or Gumout, for extreme cases you can use Seafoam.

Has your fuel economy taken a hit due to this issue?

Does the key icon flash when starting the car? If it does it might immobilizer not recognizing the key.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:32 PM
Trial User

Quick question also, I see a handful of lucas and gumout cleaners on walmarts site some say; Deep Clean Fuel System Cleaner, All-In-One Fuel System Cleaner, High Mileage Fuel Injector Cleaner,Regane High Mileage Fuel System Cleaner, so not really sure which is best?

hmm, no icon at all of any sort when starting the car, but I will try a cleaner tomorrow when I get off of work. I won't know 100% if it will fix it immediately since it sometimes takes a few days.

Also I don't know if it's in my head or not but it does also seem like when I start it and it starts in the normal crank time (like no extra time needed to crank it to turn it on)
it seems like a more violent start where its a sudden ignition instead of a slow rolling start of it turning on.

Once again idk if it's in my head since Im already having problems.

But I will report back in the next day or two and see, thanks for all the help so far more welcome!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

start by cleaning your intake air control valve (IAC) (EGR) and throttle body. then ad seafoam to your vacum line off the brake booster then ad some to your fuel.

your also way over due for a primary oxygen sensor replacement there only good for 60,000-90,000 miles they won't throw codes unless there completely dead or malfunctioning but you will greatly decrease performance.only use DENSO or NTK

here is a valuable DIY
http://www.civicforums.com/forums/11...e-up-mods.html
Old 11-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Trial User

hmm ok thanks. looking through those how to and stuff. I honestly know 0 things about cars, I mean veryyyy minimal, so even with those walkthroughs they seem confusing but I will do some research
Old 11-27-2012, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

but all of those things can basically be done with a socket wrench.