Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

03 Civic EX still smoking....

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 08:45 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Civic EX still smoking....

I have been experiencing heavy oil consumption accompanied with lots of white smoke during the first 2-3 min after starting the car. It also has multiple misfires and other issues and ran extremely choppy.

My first instinct was to have the head gasket replaced and have the head check and resurfaced. After having that done by a well know and reputable local mechanic the car began to run a bit better but was still consuming the oil as well has having a heavy cloud of white smoke for the first few minutes after starting the car(The smoking would only occur if the car has time to sit for at least 8 hours or so).

This continuing problem frustrated me because i figured that the valve seals had worn out and figured that the mechanic would have replaced them when servicing the head. After a quick phone call i found out that this was not the case and that the head would need to be serviced again.

I then returned the car to the shop and had the head gasket and head serviced again and had new seals installed. After receiving the car back it was still smoking a bit which led me to believe there may be some residual oil in the exhaust system so i let it burn off for a while and it stopped smoking after about 3 days.

This change occurred while it was significantly warmer outside. (we actually noticed before that the outside temperature would influence the length of time the car would smoke). This morning the temperature dropped to about 55 and the car smoke horribly for nearly 3-4 min. the smoke was once again bright white and thick.

I am beginning to pull my hair out and have no idea what could be still causing this issue.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Once again the car is a 2003 Honda Civic EX Automatic. 1.7 Vtec
Old 05-17-2014, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 03 Civic EX still smoking....

I'm thinking the piston rings are going bad. Was there any scoring on the cylinder walls? That can sometimes be an indication of bad rings.