Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Civic (2001 - 2005)
Reload this Page >

► 01-05 Civic Cooling System Q&A (overheating, fans inoperable, etc.)

Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)
Old 04-06-2015, 09:42 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

► 01-05 Civic Cooling System Q&A (overheating, fans inoperable, etc.)

 
Old 04-27-2018, 11:15 AM
  #576  
Trial User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 2
Default Re: ► 01-05 Civic Cooling System Q&A (overheating, fans inoperable, etc.)

took it to a honda dealer - blown head gasket, warped head. Thanks for you help.
bletzinger is offline  
Old 05-24-2018, 08:37 AM
  #577  
Trial User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 1
Default 2005 Civic Overheatting

Hello, I am new here, I have an issue with my 2005 Civic Lx. Recently my car started to overheat while waitting in line at a construction zone:

One of the things I noticed is that now that spring is here this mornings are getting hotter for the car. It doesn't overheat on cooler days.
The temp does not go up immediately while in stop an go traffic, I have to wait for about two red lights to see the temp go up.
I replaced the thermostat, temp sensor (i wanted to get a cooling fan switch but they were out), and flushed the coolant.
When I park and check the fans they aren't moving, but when I turn on the A/C, the fans turn on just fine.

After I replaced the parts, I had later realized that this has happened before. When I first got the car a few years ago I had the exact same issue. After multiple times of the car getting too warm (I never let it get to the H) the head gasket finally blew and warped one of the heads.

Could this be an issue from the past? Or did something I replaced while troubleshooting the head gasket and go out again? I don't remember what get replaced the first time it happened unfortunately other than the gasket and thermostat.

I'll be buying the cooling fan switch tomorrow to see if that is the issue, but any recommendations are appreciated.
FTF327 is offline  
Old 05-24-2018, 03:56 PM
  #578  
B*a*n*n*e*d
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 12,029
Default Re: ► 01-05 Civic Cooling System Q&A (overheating, fans inoperable, etc.)

if the fan switch is bad the fans won't turn on. You need to check that both fans run when the fans turn on as the car is starting to overheat.

It's possible that the head(you only have one) is not warped by doing a compression test.
holmesnmanny is offline  
Old 07-15-2018, 10:54 PM
  #579  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Tim1959's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 45
Default Re: Over heating issue

I had exactly the same symptoms on my '02 Civic LX. The problems were caused by a warped cylinder head that resulted from overheating.
I had 0.006" shaved off the head, used an OEM head gasket set. All problems solved! :-)

Last edited by Tim1959; 07-15-2018 at 10:57 PM. Reason: corrections...
Tim1959 is offline  
Old 08-13-2018, 02:19 PM
  #580  
Trial User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 4
Icon5 Re: ► 01-05 Civic Cooling System Q&A (overheating, fans inoperable, etc.)

Good afternoon everyone,
odd issue here...just purchased 2004 Civic EX coupe, auto, 1.7 motor, 137K miles...got home from making the purchase and radiator was spewing out the front of the grille. No overheat on the gauge, no indication of anything wrong until I was checking operation of more of the system, IE; a/c and heat, and found no heat. Got out, open the hood and that when the car pissed down my leg from the grille.
Long story short...radiator cracked under the fill neck, ran to parts store next morning, got new radiator, tsat and oring, coolant, and assorted items to effect the repair. (I have over 17yrs as a dealer tech, former honda/acura master tech, parts and service mgr, as well as another 20yrs as a capital equipment tech...just so you get an idea of who I am, and not some ig no ramous))
After completing the repair, I ran the engine until the tsat seemed open(upper and lower hoses hot), temp gauge never got to half way, fans never ran. fans will run with a/c, and will run when coolant switch connector is jumped.
Called it a day, went back to parts store next day, got new fan switch, installed it, and fans still will not come on. I figured that I had quite a bit of air in the system, even tho I have a fill funnel for the radiator neck, and jacked up the front of the car while running. ODB II indicates the car is overheating...200 - 215 degrees...temp gauge never goes to halfway...laser temp gun never shows the temp that high on any hose, switch body, or surface, coolant seems to boil at some point. We removed the tstat from the system, with the same results...no fans, high indicated temp...seems to boil the coolant...whats the next move??
dallascopes is offline  
Old 08-13-2018, 08:53 PM
  #581  
Sanji
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
toyomatt84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: ALL BLUE
Posts: 27,372
Default Re: ► 01-05 Civic Cooling System Q&A (overheating, fans inoperable, etc.)

Possibly a faulty coolant temperature sensor, if the headgasket isn't blown.
toyomatt84 is offline  
Old 08-14-2018, 01:19 AM
  #582  
Trial User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 4
Default Re: ► 01-05 Civic Cooling System Q&A (overheating, fans inoperable, etc.)

Toyomatt84,
I'll buy the idea that the coolant temp sensor is probably bad...but I haven't bought the idea that the head gasket is bad. No milky oil / no smoke on first start in am / no engine skip or misfire / no evidence of coolant burn on new spark plugs...
I am checking for combustion gas in the cooling system today, and will be greatly surprised if the reading is positive.
Will keep you posted.
Thanks for the reply.
dallascopes is offline  
Old 08-14-2018, 06:50 AM
  #583  
Trial User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 4
Default Re: ► 01-05 Civic Cooling System Q&A (overheating, fans inoperable, etc.)

Follow up to Odd Issue...
Tested for combustion gases this morning...several times...negative on the tests.
Using a digital thermometer, the temp gets above 195 and the fans never come on...keep in mind I can jump the connector on the fan switch and the fans run...and the fans run with a/c operating.
Question for the gurus...can the ect sensor cause the fans not to run? The temp gauge on the dash never gets above halfway.
Thanks,
DC
dallascopes is offline  
Old 08-14-2018, 08:52 PM
  #584  
Sanji
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
toyomatt84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: ALL BLUE
Posts: 27,372
Default Re: ► 01-05 Civic Cooling System Q&A (overheating, fans inoperable, etc.)

Originally Posted by dallascopes View Post
Follow up to Odd Issue...
Tested for combustion gases this morning...several times...negative on the tests.
Using a digital thermometer, the temp gets above 195 and the fans never come on...keep in mind I can jump the connector on the fan switch and the fans run...and the fans run with a/c operating.
Question for the gurus...can the ect sensor cause the fans not to run? The temp gauge on the dash never gets above halfway.
Thanks,
DC
The temp gauge in the cluster shouldn't ever get above halfway, if the engine isn't overheating. The fans could easily not be triggered, if the ECT sensor is bad.
toyomatt84 is offline  
Old 08-15-2018, 02:29 AM
  #585  
Trial User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 4
Default Re: ► 01-05 Civic Cooling System Q&A (overheating, fans inoperable, etc.)

Follow up to odd issue...
I replaced yet another fan switch, and the also the ect sensor, and now have fan operation. Per the digital thermometer, the fans come on at about 190 and cut off at about 180.
This is currently happening with NO tstat in system, and the system only filled with water.
Now I want to button up this project, and install another tstat, and fill with fresh coolant.
The million dollar question;
How do I make sure I have bled all of the air out of the system, since there are no bleed screws(that I can find, either on the vehicle , or on google).
When I did the initial start up after radiator replacement, I loosened the ect sensor until coolant ran out, but that did not seem to work...what is the trick?
Thanks,
DC
dallascopes is offline  
Old 08-16-2018, 11:30 AM
  #586  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Tim1959's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 45
Default

Originally Posted by dallascopes View Post
Follow up to odd issue...
I replaced yet another fan switch, and the also the ect sensor, and now have fan operation. Per the digital thermometer, the fans come on at about 190 and cut off at about 180.
This is currently happening with NO tstat in system, and the system only filled with water.
Now I want to button up this project, and install another tstat, and fill with fresh coolant.
The million dollar question;
How do I make sure I have bled all of the air out of the system, since there are no bleed screws(that I can find, either on the vehicle , or on google).
When I did the initial start up after radiator replacement, I loosened the ect sensor until coolant ran out, but that did not seem to work...what is the trick?
Thanks,
DC
Follow the procedure in the Factory Service Manual (FSM) TO THE LETTER.
There is no need to use a special burping funnel if you follow the Honda procedure.

I measure coolant temp with a scanner. The fans on my 02 Civic LX (D17A1) don't come on until the coolant temp reaches 204 degrees F at idle speed.
This is normal engine operation.
The fans are not activated by the ECT sensor. They are activated by the fan thermo-switch.

Last edited by Tim1959; 08-29-2018 at 11:52 PM. Reason: correction
Tim1959 is offline  
Old 08-29-2018, 06:47 PM
  #587  
Trial User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 3
Default Re: ► 01-05 Civic Cooling System Q&A (overheating, fans inoperable, etc.)

Hey everyone! I have a 2005 Civic EX 1.7L and of course, having issues with it overheating.

I'm not sure how to go about fixing it, as I've replaced the thermostat, coolant temp sensor, engine temp sensor, pcv valve (which was likely not necessary), cooling fan, radiator cap, and the radiator but i'm still having these issues. Also, all the fuses seem to be fine as well. The radiator has coolant, there is no coolant leaking (it stays full, as well as the reservoir) I have 165,000 miles on the car now, and the timing chain/belt (not sure which) was done at 143,000, so I assume the waterpump was done as well. However the water pump is really used more when driving, right?
Anyway I don't have any reason to believe that the head gasket is bad, as the reservoir has no color/oil distortion, and the oil has no color/coolant distortion. And there is no white smoke coming out of the car.
The heater does blow cold(er) air when idle and the heat is on, could the heater core be causing the entire engine to overheat?

I am really looking for ideas. I've spent more money on this car than it is worth, and so far I'm pretty disappointed with this car.
Bergquist10 is offline  
Old 08-30-2018, 12:04 AM
  #588  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Tim1959's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 45
Default Re: ► 01-05 Civic Cooling System Q&A (overheating, fans inoperable, etc.)

Originally Posted by Bergquist10 View Post
Hey everyone! I have a 2005 Civic EX 1.7L and of course, having issues with it overheating.

I'm not sure how to go about fixing it, as I've replaced the thermostat, coolant temp sensor, engine temp sensor, pcv valve (which was likely not necessary), cooling fan, radiator cap, and the radiator but i'm still having these issues. Also, all the fuses seem to be fine as well. The radiator has coolant, there is no coolant leaking (it stays full, as well as the reservoir) I have 165,000 miles on the car now, and the timing chain/belt (not sure which) was done at 143,000, so I assume the waterpump was done as well. However the water pump is really used more when driving, right?
Anyway I don't have any reason to believe that the head gasket is bad, as the reservoir has no color/oil distortion, and the oil has no color/coolant distortion. And there is no white smoke coming out of the car.
The heater does blow cold(er) air when idle and the heat is on, could the heater core be causing the entire engine to overheat?
I am really looking for ideas. I've spent more money on this car than it is worth, and so far I'm pretty disappointed with this car.
-------------------------------
When you say "overheating" you must be more specific. Based on the dash gauge, or what?
Use a scanner to read the engine coolant temp while the engine is idling and the cooling fans are cycling on and off.
You MUST check the coolant level in the radiator filler neck when the car is COLD. It MUST be full ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP, otherwise, you have a leak somewhere.
The coolant level in the overflow MUST rise and fall with engine temp, otherwise, there is a leak in the cooling system somewhere. It could be an INTERNAL leak (even without white smoke).
Tim1959 is offline  
Old 08-30-2018, 05:47 AM
  #589  
Trial User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 3
Default Re: ► 01-05 Civic Cooling System Q&A (overheating, fans inoperable, etc.)

Originally Posted by Tim1959 View Post
-------------------------------
When you say "overheating" you must be more specific. Based on the dash thgauge, or what?
Use a scanner to read the engine coolant temp while the engine is idling and cooling fans are cycling on and off.
You MUST check the coolant level in the radiator filler neck when the car is COLD. It MUST be full ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP, otherwise, you have a leak somewhere.
The coolant level in the overflow MUST rise and fall with engine temp, otherwise, there is a leak in the cooling system somewhere. It could be an INTERNAL leak (even without white smoke).
Overheating based on the dash gauge, yes.
I will get a hold of the temp scanner, and see if I can test it that way.
I just checked that this morning, and I feel like I put about 3/4 quart in there. That seemed fairly low, but I also noticed there was a little bit of pressure when I opened the cap too, after sitting all night? Should there be any pressure after that amount of time?
I didn't even think about it, however driving around last night, I didn't see the overflow adjusting at all. I think I did see it just staying a little over the "MAX" fill line. Is it supposed to fluctuate visibly a whole lot? Or just little bits at a time?
Bergquist10 is offline  
Old 08-30-2018, 11:52 PM
  #590  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Tim1959's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 45
Default Re: ► 01-05 Civic Cooling System Q&A (overheating, fans inoperable, etc.)

Originally Posted by Bergquist10 View Post
Overheating based on the dash gauge, yes.
I will get a hold of the temp scanner, and see if I can test it that way.
I just checked that this morning, and I feel like I put about 3/4 quart in there. That seemed fairly low, but I also noticed there was a little bit of pressure when I opened the cap too, after sitting all night? Should there be any pressure after that amount of time?
I didn't even think about it, however driving around last night, I didn't see the overflow adjusting at all. I think I did see it just staying a little over the "MAX" fill line. Is it supposed to fluctuate visibly a whole lot? Or just little bits at a time?
------------------
The scanner I use does a WHOLE LOT MORE than just read Engine Coolant Temp (ECT). A good scanner is essential for troubleshooting modern computerized motor vehicles today. I currently use an "OBDLink LX Bluetooth" device that transmits live on-board computer data from the cars computer to an App that runs on my smartphone (an Android device) via bluetooth. Info available at OBDLink® - OBD-II Diagnostic Scan Tools for Android, iOS, & Windows | OBDLink® | OBD Solutions.
There are MANY scanners available today from several tool manufacturers with a WIDE price range.
After sitting overnight, there should be NO PRESSURE behind the radiator cap because the cooling system was supposed to have just finished DRINKING coolant from the overflow tank. It sounds to me like you have combustion gas leaking into the cooling system from a warped cylinder head (been there, done that. VERY COMMON on these engines).
The difference in coolant level in the overflow should be AT LEAST 1.5" (from cold to hot). This is VERY hard to see on this car. I use a mirror & flashlight. (later model Civics have a better overflow design).
An overfilled overflow tank is a sign of an internal leak from a warped cylinder head. During engine cool down, the cooling system sucks air in through a combustion chamber instead of coolant from the overflow tank). Been there, done that! :-)
You might consider testing for combustion gas at the radiator filler neck. My car tested positive. At that point, I was convinced the cylinder head had to come off the engine. (laborious & expensive).
I had 0.006" milled off the head at a local machine shop and PRESTO, all the internal leaks were SEALED. The engine now runs LIKE NEW! :-) No more overheating or mysterious coolant loss, PLENTY of power, a SMOOTH idle, HIGH gas mileage. The engine now purrs like a kitten! :-)




Tim1959 is offline  
Old 08-31-2018, 10:17 PM
  #591  
Trial User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 3
Default Re: ► 01-05 Civic Cooling System Q&A (overheating, fans inoperable, etc.)

Originally Posted by Tim1959 View Post
------------------
The scanner I use does a WHOLE LOT MORE than just read Engine Coolant Temp (ECT). A good scanner is essential for troubleshooting modern computerized motor vehicles today. I currently use an "OBDLink LX Bluetooth" device that transmits live on-board computer data from the cars computer to an App that runs on my smartphone (an Android device) via bluetooth. Info available at OBDLink® - OBD-II Diagnostic Scan Tools for Android, iOS, & Windows | OBDLink® | OBD Solutions.
There are MANY scanners available today from several tool manufacturers with a WIDE price range.
After sitting overnight, there should be NO PRESSURE behind the radiator cap because the cooling system was supposed to have just finished DRINKING coolant from the overflow tank. It sounds to me like you have combustion gas leaking into the cooling system from a warped cylinder head (been there, done that. VERY COMMON on these engines).
The difference in coolant level in the overflow should be AT LEAST 1.5" (from cold to hot). This is VERY hard to see on this car. I use a mirror & flashlight. (later model Civics have a better overflow design).
An overfilled overflow tank is a sign of an internal leak from a warped cylinder head. During engine cool down, the cooling system sucks air in through a combustion chamber instead of coolant from the overflow tank). Been there, done that! :-)
You might consider testing for combustion gas at the radiator filler neck. My car tested positive. At that point, I was convinced the cylinder head had to come off the engine. (laborious & expensive).
I had 0.006" milled off the head at a local machine shop and PRESTO, all the internal leaks were SEALED. The engine now runs LIKE NEW! :-) No more overheating or mysterious coolant loss, PLENTY of power, a SMOOTH idle, HIGH gas mileage. The engine now purrs like a kitten! :-)
I actually use the Blue Driver with my android phone. And I read temps from that as well! I love it!

However, both this morning, and the morning before (When I filled the radiator) there was both a tiny little bit of pressure in it. So am not sure on that, or why would that would have pressure. Assumable that the heads are warped, but I don't think that they are...:
Here is the issue that I am coming across today. The overflow was just fine today, and looks like it was fluctuating (Maybe not 1.5") and it looks like everything was working properly. The temp would get up to 214 Degrees (F) and the fan would kick on, and cool it down to 207 degrees, the lower pipe and the upper pipe were both hot with coolant flowing through them. Well, just yesterday I drove it about 20 miles and parked the car, and the fan was kicking on constantly around 235. Drove back to my home and then the fan was kicking on at 214 again cooling it to 207. BUT GET THIS I turned on the AC today, which makes both fans go on, and it cooled it down to like... I think it was 196! But I know the AC doesn't always work like that, I've had it overheat to 250 because the AC was on full blast while I was driving then stopped.
The reason I cannot bring myself to believe that the head, or gasket is bad is because I am not loosing any coolant, not blowing any white smoke, and the oil doesn't have any funny colors. I have a buddy who has a block tester (That is waht he called it) and I plan to test that as soon as I can because as I said. I really don't think it is the head.

I just want to say however, I am super stoked about the answers everyone has given me. I have been relentlessly looking at solutions for this car, and all of this helps so much! THANK YOU!
Bergquist10 is offline  
Old 09-01-2018, 05:17 PM
  #592  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Tim1959's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 45
Default Re: ► 01-05 Civic Cooling System Q&A (overheating, fans inoperable, etc.)

Originally Posted by Bergquist10 View Post
I actually use the Blue Driver with my android phone. And I read temps from that as well! I love it!

However, both this morning, and the morning before (When I filled the radiator) there was both a tiny little bit of pressure in it. So am not sure on that, or why would that would have pressure. Assumable that the heads are warped, but I don't think that they are...:
Here is the issue that I am coming across today. The overflow was just fine today, and looks like it was fluctuating (Maybe not 1.5") and it looks like everything was working properly. The temp would get up to 214 Degrees (F) and the fan would kick on, and cool it down to 207 degrees, the lower pipe and the upper pipe were both hot with coolant flowing through them. Well, just yesterday I drove it about 20 miles and parked the car, and the fan was kicking on constantly around 235. Drove back to my home and then the fan was kicking on at 214 again cooling it to 207. BUT GET THIS I turned on the AC today, which makes both fans go on, and it cooled it down to like... I think it was 196! But I know the AC doesn't always work like that, I've had it overheat to 250 because the AC was on full blast while I was driving then stopped.
The reason I cannot bring myself to believe that the head, or gasket is bad is because I am not loosing any coolant, not blowing any white smoke, and the oil doesn't have any funny colors. I have a buddy who has a block tester (That is waht he called it) and I plan to test that as soon as I can because as I said. I really don't think it is the head.

I just want to say however, I am super stoked about the answers everyone has given me. I have been relentlessly looking at solutions for this car, and all of this helps so much! THANK YOU!
----------------------
235 degrees F sounds too high to me for coolant temp. That's MUCH higher than boiling (212).
With 100 degree (F) ambient temp, (Las Vegas area) my cooling system fan turns on at 203 (F). The coolant temp then fluctuates between 196 and 205 (F) while the fans are cycling on and off.
Tim1959 is offline  
Old 09-05-2018, 12:11 AM
  #593  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Tim1959's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 45
Default Re: ► 01-05 Civic Cooling System Q&A (overheating, fans inoperable, etc.)

Following is a useful summary of my recent experience with a 2002 Honda Civic LX, auto trans, 1.7-liter engine with 185,000 miles:

Typical Symptoms:

1. Engine overheating (as indicated by dash gauge).

2. Mysterious loss of coolant from the radiator (with no visible external leaks).

3. Overfilled coolant reservoir.

4. A stream of small bubbles in the coolant reservoir and/or radiator (with the engine running).

5. Excess pressure inside coolant reservoir.

6. Exhaust gas inside the radiator filler neck area (cooling system fails block test).

7. Gurgling sound from the cooling system immediately after shutting down a warm engine.

8. Small amounts of engine oil in the coolant.

9. Coolant mixing with engine oil (milkshake-like appearance under oil cap on valve cover).

Likely Causes:

1. WARPED CYLINDER HEAD that resulted from engine overheating, and/or

2. Blown head gasket.

Allowing combustion chamber gasses to leak into the cooling system (creating excess pressure in the coolant reservoir) and/or coolant to leak into the combustion chambers and get vaporized (lost out the exhaust pipe).

Recommended Solutions for success:

1. Use OEM (Honda) parts exclusively

2. Follow the OEM (Honda) service manual TO THE LETTER.

Happy Wrenching! :-)

Last edited by Tim1959; 09-05-2018 at 12:15 AM. Reason: correction
Tim1959 is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
JacobD
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005)
5
09-12-2017 06:18 PM
Hybridguitarist
Acura Integra
0
02-21-2017 09:49 AM
Hybridguitarist
Hybrid / Engine Swaps
0
02-20-2017 08:30 PM
MrBigMac
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005)
2
05-15-2016 04:25 PM
Nicole.03.Civic
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005)
3
04-26-2016 04:03 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ► 01-05 Civic Cooling System Q&A (overheating, fans inoperable, etc.)


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: