Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)
Old 04-06-2015, 09:42 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

► 01-05 Civic Cooling System Q&A (overheating, fans inoperable, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Losing coolant

Originally Posted by Djratrap
I would recommend using UV sensitive dyes and driving the car regularly for about a week or so. The eyeball method isn't really the best when it comes to leaks of this nature. It sounds like a head gasket/water pump issue.
can I pick that up at local auto shops?
Old 08-12-2013, 12:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Icon6 Re: ► 01-05 Civic Cooling System Questions? Ask them here! (overheating, coolant, et

Okay. This is a write-up for those of you who have experienced or have been experiencing overheating with your 2001-2005 Honda Civic(ES1, ES2, & EM2 chassis). This only pertains to those model cars and not the 2002-2005 Civic Si(US) being that the motors are completely different. First off, you may be experiencing some obvious symptoms.
1. “AAAHHH!!! My car is overheating but theres no white smoke!!!”
2. “My car’s A/C wont work and its blowing out hot air!!!”
3. “WTFFFF!!! I don’t wanna fix this overheating car should I buy a new one?!?!?”
4. Etc etc etc….
5. “my car is losing coolant but I don’t see any puddles or coolant”
I will name off the most prominent symptoms.

• Car temp gauge rises above the ½ line
• Car overheats after 30-45 min of driving
• Car overheats after 20-45 min of stop and go driving
• Car overheats at idle
• Car overheats when a heavier load is put on the motor(i.e. harsh acceleration, driving up a hill, stop/go traffic, etc…)
• Car intermittently overheats
• No coolant in the coolant reserve tank(coolant reservoir)
• Coolant spilling/spewing/spraying out of the reservoir
• “I smell coolant but don’t see anything dripping.”
• Lack of coolant but no visible coolant leaks
• The heat works while driving, but blows cold(er) air while the vehicle is not in motion
• The A/C blows warm/hot air (does not work)
• Lack of power driving up a hill
• Overheats while driving up a hill
• Rusty spark plugs
• Milky looking oil
• White smoke coming from exhaust
• Coolant has tiny black specs in it
• Bubbles keep coming up through the radiator while “burping” the cooling system
• Bubbles keep coming up through the radiator AFTER “burping” the cooling system
• Coolant reservoir looks too full/slightly overflows but looks empty on a cold start
• Coolant is discolored
• Smoke/steam rising from under the hood
• Only one radiator hose feels warm/hot when the car is running.
• Coolant seeping out from under the radiator cap
If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms or anything relatively like them, then your car has an issue. You might have tried some of the following to no avail:

• Installed new fan switch/temp switch
• Installed new radiator or radiator cap.
• Burped the cooling system
• Replaced the thermostat
• Replaced the water pump
• Replaced the head gasket
• Drained, flushed, and refilled your coolant.
You might have also had some of the following tests done with positive or negative results:
• Carbon monoxide test
• Compression/combustion leak test
• Leak down test(dunno if this is the same thing as the above but I'm adding it anyway)
• Any other type of test
EVEN IF you have these tests done, you most likely will still have a “blown” head gasket/warped head problem.
EVEN if you have had parts replaced you may still have the overheating problem.
EVEN if you have replaced the headgasket with non OEM parts, your problem may return(it’s happened plenty of times, enough to say you should only use OEM parts)…

Basically the thermostat will randomly "stick", or your fan switch may malfunction, and your motor will begin to overheat. Enough of this "sticking" (or malfunctioning)and overheating will start to warp the head. When this occurs, you will notice that your coolant level isn't where it should normally be. This is because, on the exhaust side of the motor, exhaust gases are leaking into the coolant system, causing unnecessary pressure. In turn, your coolant gets forced out of the reservoir. This is when you may notice the smell. This warping may only occur when a heavy load is put on the motor whilst driving a high speeds, driving for an extended period of time, driving up a hill, driving in harsh conditions(I.e. summer time) etc...
The main way to completely fix this is to RESURFACE THE MOTOR HEAD & replace the following parts:
• Head gasket
• Exhaust manifold gasket
• Intake manifold gasket
• Valve cover gasket
• Water pump (optional but highly insisted upon)
• Thermostat AND Thermostat temperature switch (do not replace one without the other. It is POINTLESS!!!)
• Head bolts(optional. You can reuse the old ones but in my opinion it is better to use new ones because when they are tightened to the OEM torque spec, they stretch.)
• Coolant
• Oil and oil filter(optional. Obviously you can reuse them if you just did an oil change)
Of course I am going to recommend using only Honda OEM parts, except for the oil and oil filter.

Last edited by EM2abe; 08-12-2013 at 01:06 AM. Reason: because racecar
The following users liked this post:
Old 08-12-2013, 12:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ► 01-05 Civic Cooling System Questions? Ask them here! (overheating, coolant, et

Basically, on my second 2003 EM2 my I smelled some coolant. Instantly I Parked my car and popped the hood to see if the reservoir was overflowing with coolant. It was darn close and i could see some dried up residue from the coolant that had already overflowed and sprayed out a little in the motor bay. So I smacked my forehead and figure, "****, im gonna have to deal with this again." So I cleaned the residue up with a damp cloth and waited a few days to see what would happen. I drove around a bit, and found a hill to drive up, once I started smelling the coolant again. i nailed it up the hill and sure enough my temp gauge rose up passed the normal level and I knew what the hell was going on. Next day i went out and bought all the necessary parts along with the parts needed to do a timing belt and drive belts swap. Took it in to get done(coulda done it myself but didnt have the time with work and such) $1100 later, i picked it up and had a little conversation with my mechanic. God bless his soul. hahahaha. SO!!!!! basically what happens is the thermostat sucks. So does the temp switch/fan switch. after approximately 100,000 miles, it will start to stick. Your fan wont come on a few random times, and voila!!!!! Your car overheats. I asked him and he's worked on enough of these issues with these cars to know enough about the symptoms, problems and fixes that would make an insane person's head explode. If your temp gauge goes up and over the normal temp and anywhere near 3/4 then you've got a warped head. That's a fact. get it resurfaced and everything else fixed.
I was once told that it was because of the green coolant becoming acidic and eating away at the aluminum block. That dude was wrong. There was no pitting on my block. it was clean. Yes the Green coolant can become acidic but not to that extent, in a normal situation. the only real difference is that the blue coolant lasts longer and is "eco-friendly". Supposedly you can drink it and not die. I wont try it because I know what coolant tastes like and the smell of it makes me want to throw my guts up.

After all that, I picked up my car and took a camping/fishing trip that was about 700miles round trip driving anywhere between 65-105mph to test the motor, and no problems at all. I drove it for 4 hours at a time. Perfection. oh. I caught about 45 fish too on that trip, too.

Last edited by EM2abe; 08-12-2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Civic082382
read above
Old 08-12-2013, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Civic082382
Most auto shops carry it. It shouldn't be hard to find.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:33 AM
Trial User

Default Re: ► 01-05 Civic Cooling System Questions? Ask them here! (overheating, coolant, et

I just bought a 2002 Honda civic ex I was told the engine was just rebuilt at the Honda dealer 35000 miles ago and that the timing belt was changed. It drove great the first week. But now the temperature gauge keeps going up to hot.
I have replaced the thermostat gasket, replaced the coolant and burped it properly. I have no white smoke. I bypassed the heater core because it seemed as if it was just clogged and I was going to try and blow it out but didn't have the equipment at the time. Only been like this less than a day but now it is still going all the way to hot. Any clues as to what it could be. Am I looking at a head gasket?
Old 08-12-2013, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chrissy Petit
I just bought a 2002 Honda civic ex I was told the engine was just rebuilt at the Honda dealer 35000 miles ago and that the timing belt was changed. It drove great the first week. But now the temperature gauge keeps going up to hot.
I have replaced the thermostat gasket, replaced the coolant and burped it properly. I have no white smoke. I bypassed the heater core because it seemed as if it was just clogged and I was going to try and blow it out but didn't have the equipment at the time. Only been like this less than a day but now it is still going all the way to hot. Any clues as to what it could be. Am I looking at a head gasket?
Please read through the thread. You might be able to absent your own question as well as learn some good amount of information.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:13 PM
Trial User

I did read through. I'm leaning to head gasket because I have down a lot of different test but is it possible that it is the head without any white smoke?
Old 08-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you read through then you'll notice that none have reported white smoke and still had to replace the head gasket.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:23 AM
Trial User

Default 2004 Civic Overheating Issue

Hey Guys,
I have a 2004 Honda Civic and have been experiencing an overheating issue. It will only overheat after driving on the highway for an hour once I get off of the highway. I just replaced the thermostat. Fans are working fine (they only run when my AC is on and I keep it on). When I turn the heat on it will blow hot and the temp will go down then it will blow cool and the temp will rise again and it will just go back and forth even if its set on heat. Coolant level is fine.

I'm not sure what the issue is but it's super annoying. It doesn't overheat driving around town for over an hour or even every time after I get off the highway. When it gets hot if I turn the car off for an hour or so it will run fine again.

Thanks for your help
Old 08-23-2013, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello, I am also having the overheating problem. The problem is that when the car to get hot cooling fan only comes on for few seconds and turns off and coolant starts boiling through the overflow tank. Also, recently it started misfiring all the cylinders I replaced the spark plugs that didn't fix the problem. What can be the problem? Is it the head gasket?
Old 08-24-2013, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bimm3rBoy
Hello, I am also having the overheating problem. The problem is that when the car to get hot cooling fan only comes on for few seconds and turns off and coolant starts boiling through the overflow tank. Also, recently it started misfiring all the cylinders I replaced the spark plugs that didn't fix the problem. What can be the problem? Is it the head gasket?
Did you read through this thread at all???
Old 08-26-2013, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bimm3rBoy
Come to terms with the fact that it is more than likely a gasket. I never got any misfiring or smoke. Changed fans, hoses, radiator, thermostat (2X), coolant sensors all to no avail. Honda themselves could not diagnose it but a small repair shop in my area did and it's been 100% golden ever since the gasket swap.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Car heats up at when idling, cools down when running?

I was stuck in traffic for about 2 hours, and my car started heating up quickly, I had to put it in neutral every 5 minutes and raise the rpm up to 2-3 to keep it from overheating. After I got it out of the traffic jam, I drove it at speeds from 80-90 and it didn't overheat or anything, any idea what I should look for?
Old 09-22-2013, 04:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 coolant system problems?

Hi every body

i need your help i am facing a problem with my honda civic 1.6 mod.2004.

2 weeks ago, i noticed that the coolant level decrease in the radiator, and the same amount of coolant increase the level in the plastic tank!

so every 3 or 4 days i use a pump to remove some coolant from the tank than fill
the radiator with the same amount!

no sign of high temp. in the car!

what could be the cause and what the solution!?
any help will be appreciate!
thanks
Old 09-22-2013, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your head gasket is blown and forcing the coolant into the overflow. It sounds like it has just started with a small crack but will get worse. Change it now and have the head checked for flatness.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: coolant system problems?

Originally Posted by narab123
Hi every body

i need your help i am facing a problem with my honda civic 1.6 mod.2004.

2 weeks ago, i noticed that the coolant level decrease in the radiator, and the same amount of coolant increase the level in the plastic tank!

so every 3 or 4 days i use a pump to remove some coolant from the tank than fill
the radiator with the same amount!

no sign of high temp. in the car!

what could be the cause and what the solution!?
any help will be appreciate!
thanks
before anything, replace the thermostat and the temp sensor. your thermostat may be stuck and not allowing coolant to flow through the cooling system of the motor. this is perhaps one of two reasons as to why your plastic reservoir is so full and your radiator is so low on coolant. keep in mind that if you've caught this soon enough, you will have deterred from a warped head/blown head gasket. if you notice your temp gauge rising after you do this, then you're screwed and you must do the big job.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EM2abe
before anything, replace the thermostat and the temp sensor. your thermostat may be stuck and not allowing coolant to flow through the cooling system of the motor. this is perhaps one of two reasons as to why your plastic reservoir is so full and your radiator is so low on coolant. keep in mind that if you've caught this soon enough, you will have deterred from a warped head/blown head gasket. if you notice your temp gauge rising after you do this, then you're screwed and you must do the big job.
thanks from your advise!
but How could be a thermostat Problem if i never see any temp. gauge rising??!!
from your experience what is the percentage to be blow head gasket ?

Originally Posted by thetut
Your head gasket is blown and forcing the coolant into the overflow. It sounds like it has just started with a small crack but will get worse. Change it now and have the head checked for flatness.
thanks for your reply!

but is there any other possible reason! could the radiator cap. cause this!
what u you think no indications of temp. increasing ?

Last edited by toyomatt84; 09-23-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default 2005 lx Overheating

My 05 civic is overheating only after long distances driving highway speeds... drove it without and with the thermostat but when it idiots then it starts to overheat. Had the thermostat replace and still nothing.. the mechanical said it could be the head gasket or the radiator .... Anyone have any ideas
Old 09-23-2013, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2005 lx Overheating

Most likely that is the problem, try bleeding the system from air bubbles in the meantime. Your question is answered in this thread.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2889523
Old 09-23-2013, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by narab123
thanks from your advise!
but How could be a thermostat Problem if i never see any temp. gauge rising??!!
from your experience what is the percentage to be blow head gasket ?
if your thermostat and temp switch are malfunctioning then they might be giving you the incorrect readout. switch them out. it is a cheap and easy job and it takes around 15 minutes at the most. if you dont change out a faulty thermostat then your chances of having a blown head gasket AND a warped head are 100%
Old 09-23-2013, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rossijay
My 05 civic is overheating only after long distances driving highway speeds... drove it without and with the thermostat but when it idiots then it starts to overheat. Had the thermostat replace and still nothing.. the mechanical said it could be the head gasket or the radiator .... Anyone have any ideas
if it has already overheated and you've seen the temperature gauge rise, then you already have a blown head gasket and warped head.
most likely it is NOT the radiator, and bleeding the system of air bubbles will not fix the problem. you also have a bad thermostat and/or a bad temp sensor.

Originally Posted by husyk
Most likely that is the problem, try bleeding the system from air bubbles in the meantime. Your question is answered in this thread.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2889523
most of the time, air bubbles form in the system after a cooling system flush/refill. but if bubbles form in the system due to overheating, it is because the damage has already been done and exhaust fumes are leaking into the cooling system. bleeding the system of air will not fix the problem.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yo whats up guys. My car was doing the same thing overheating -- mechanic said one side cool - one side hot -- replaced it -- everything was good -- then again started to overheat - ( i do drive 500 miles a week, up and down hills the whole way -- only start s going up when i floor it and i mean floor it. Drove it like a reg person a week and not once did it go up,, then i found this thread and noticed that the heater works fine when running,, but shots out cold air while not in motion. What should I do next.

Mechanic checked head for damage when replaced the radiator -- no damage was found..
Old 09-25-2013, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thegoose2377
Yo whats up guys. My car was doing the same thing overheating -- mechanic said one side cool - one side hot -- replaced it -- everything was good -- then again started to overheat - ( i do drive 500 miles a week, up and down hills the whole way -- only start s going up when i floor it and i mean floor it. Drove it like a reg person a week and not once did it go up,, then i found this thread and noticed that the heater works fine when running,, but shots out cold air while not in motion. What should I do next.

Mechanic checked head for damage when replaced the radiator -- no damage was found..
The only way to adequately check the head for damage is to pull it off.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey what up man thanks for responding EM2 -- while I know you know your stuff, doesnt mean that because its overheating that the head has been damaged -- I agree 100% that if I keep on driving it like this that I will have to deal with having to resurface the head, would you agree? With that said I do plan on replacing all the parts that you have listed above -- for now though im using a FAL electric fan controller to override when the fans come on which ( just leave em on the whole time) til I can get all these parts together and then replace em all. What do you think?

Quick Reply: ► 01-05 Civic Cooling System Q&A (overheating, fans inoperable, etc.)