Notices
Honda / Acura Appearance related discussion for Honda / Acura vehicles

The story of my turbo CRX and how I'm back in the game

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The story of my turbo CRX and how I'm back in the game

So lets start with the history and story of this Frankenstein of a car. I bought this 1988 CRX HF for $200 10 years ago at the VW dealer that my buddy worked at. It had smashed up front and rear bumpers, the drivers door and A pillar were all damaged and everything else you could imagine for a $200 dollar car lol. i had just recently blew the tranny in my crx dx so i need a car that i could drive and here it was the stock crx HF with long *** gears and an 8 valve 60hp engine. i drove it stock for about 6 months and swapped in a D15b2 from my dx with a Si tranny and MPFI swap. then i installed koni yellow struts with ground control coil overs and a Suspension Technique Rear sway bar. this thing handles like nothing i have ever owned lol. Still the car was slow for me i ran a 15.6 with it down the quarter. Swapped in SI brakes and 91 ex 4 door master and booster.

Fast forward 8 years ( 2 years ago ) i let my friend borrow my daily 95 EX coupe while i took his car into work on it. He crashes it on the highway. He bought me a 97 EX Coupe with 86k miles on it woot free upgrade lol. He then sold my crashed EG to my other buddy who needed a car. 6 months later he crashed into those triangle cement guards that borders the grass and put a hole in the tranny. i pulled the D16z6 out of the EG which was my daily for 8 years and scrape the car.

After i pulled the D16z6 out and threw it next to my tool box at work my buddy was upgrading his t25 to a 16g in his 2 gen Eclipse. *light bulb* So i swapped in the D16z6 and went to OBD1. i used a Zerg industry jumper harness for the pcm and also for the dizzy. and ran the Vtec to the pcm. This D16z6 had 250k miles on it but it was my daily for the last 8 years and since i'm a Honda technician i take car of my **** and plus it was an auto in my daily, this engine was strong. After i swapped this in it the car felt so much quicker. went from 60 hp -> 100ish -> 127ish. 30 hp doesn't sound like a lot but when you look at it as a 30% increase, thats night and day difference. so at this point i had an 88 CRX HF with a D16z6 with a cable crx si transmission. with Ebay intake, Ebay header, and Cut exhaust after the resonator. I ran 14.7 in the 1/4.

So in the last 6 months I decided to go turbo on the budget. i got an adapter plate to mount the DSM turbos with my old HF exhaust manifold. Ordered an ebay front mount and piping kit. Did some mock fitting and NOTHING worked.

First issue was the turbo downpipe would not clear my front cross member. Did some research and fount that the issue is fixed by getting a traction bar. i was torn between the full race one and the explicit speed performance one. but since it was a budget build i didn't want to buy a new radiator for the full race. i went with the ESP bar with front troque mount dampener to replace the stock mount. Got the bar and it was great, looks and works well. My only complaints is it does sit a little low.. but it does mean it will protect my oil pan and down pipe. Each Bar is made per order so it did take 2 and half months to get... but im happy with it.

So now that i had the traction bar the turbo and down pipe fit good and clear. Next issue was to get the ebay piping/intercooler to run from the intake manifold to the turbo and boy was this a headache. First step was to mount the intercooler up. i removed my bumper cover and cut out the grill. i had to cut pretty much 60% of the bumper itself to get the intercooler to fit in there and i made 2 L brakets to mount the intercooler up to the bumper. next I spent about 6 hours cutting and measuring piping to get everything to connect.

Oil is provided by stealthmodeperformace stainless steel braided lines. The only fuel upgrade i did was installing 440cc dsm injectors and that was plug and play. Car is tuned on chrome running 8 psi with stock dsm internal waste gate. Car ran great.... until it hit vtec... then it would just slip lol. i had a new exedy clutch in there with less then 10k miles lol. So i ordered an ACT stage 2 clutch and now no more slip. 2 weeks later i noticed i was losing coolant. I did a leak down test and pressure test and found nothing. did some research and found that these engines get head lift under pressure. So i picked up some ARP head studs and installed a new head gasket. FIXED!

So after i babied it around for a few weeks to make sure everything was good and broke in the clutch i decided it was ready for the track. i ran 14.2 @99 mph down the 1/4 wheel hopping so bad that when i shifted into second i popped my shift linkage out of the brushing. i thought i broke the tranny lol so i didn't make anymore passes. i put it on the lift at work the next day and was relieved that only the shifter had popped out of the bushing.

That was 4 months ago and its been like that since. Was driving home last week and a brand new SS Camaro lined up next to me at the dual left turn light This kid was prob 17 and mom and dad probably bought it for him for his sweet 16. He was reving at me and we know how this story unfolds lol. Light turns green and i took off normally, Camaro kid hits it and drifts into my lane... and takes off, I was pissed and said **** it so i hit it after the turn he was about 1 car ahead of me. i reel him in half a car instantly but by 90 he slowing started to pull away.

Now thats how i got bite again by the honda bug lol. Now im back into the game and i ordered some innovate 75a mounts today and it should be here something next week and i'll try to go to the track again soon. Then some slicks and im gonna try to get into high 12's without anymore power upgrades. But im sure i'll get side track in the next few months with my guns lol I switch between buying car stuff and gun/gun stuff lol.

About me I have worked at Honda the last 6 years i'm about 3 weeks left of training from becoming master honda tech. If you want to attempt something like this and have some question let me know i'm trying cause this was my first experience with turbos and this **** can give you some major headaches and at times i almost just said **** it i'm going back back to NA but now that its all over i'm glad i went boost..
Attached Images         
Old 12-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The story of my turbo CRX and how I'm back in the game

LOVE IT! PROPS MAN! Keep up the good work.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow that was a mini novel. Not a bad read tho
Old 12-07-2012, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^^ haha thats what I was thinking. Those are some nice guns man.