Notices
Honda / Acura Appearance related discussion for Honda / Acura vehicles

Review: Fastline performance shifter and a few photos.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review: Fastline performance shifter and a few photos.

Well I would first like to thank marcus (heel toe automotive) for having great costumer service; he is a nice man I ordered a couple parts from him and one of them being the fastline performance RR shifter. I decided to post a write-up since there are alot of questionable consumers being indecisive if they should purchase one or not.

Installation: It was really simple, the instruction manual that came with the shifter was really detailed, you don't really need it if you know how to take out the shifter. All you need to do is unbolt the lower shift linkage and take out the two nuts holding the plate (you will also need to use a vice grip to vice the top of the bolt to prevent it to move). After that you have the stock shifter out. It also emphasized to use white lithium grease instead of WD-40 alot. I thought it was also easier to just unbolt your exhaust from the cat and take off the rubber hangers near the shifter, which allows more room to work with. The outcome was this:

At first the shifter was really tight and I could barely move it. It was due to me tightening the bolt on the lower shift linkage too tight. If you make it too tight then you won't be able to move it, if you make it to loose it will have alot of play. The instructions say to tighten it to 20 ft/lbs. I didn't have a torque wrench at the time so i just made it loose/tight to my personal preference. I believe 137 (another guy who did a write up on the shifter also) had problems with it hitting his exhaust. If you have a stock exhaust then you won't have any problems hitting it, the clearance seems fine, i'm not sure about an aftermarket exhaust though.

The height of the shifter makes it really convienent to shift. It also shifts smooth. I'm not sure what shifter i had before but you can't even tell the difference in the throw, if anyone can identify that shfiter than we can have something to compare with. The throw is similar to the gsr shifter, if not, shorter.

Here is a picture of the old shifter

So all in all, I recommend this shifter to anyone. I just like how the shifter is right next to the steering wheel allowing more convience. The only problem is probably the appearance of having a huge shifter in your car. Other than that, everyone should go buy the fastline shifter!

Here is another picture:
clear stanley corner lights I also got from marcus
Old 06-11-2005, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Review: Fastline performance shifter and a few photos. (eg6junkie)

http://estores.merchantpartner...id=88
Old 06-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Senor Miembro

does ur hand hit the climate control part when u go in to 3rd?
Old 06-11-2005, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ECAhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ECAhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does ur hand hit the climate control part when u go in to 3rd?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope, it's far from hitting the climate control/deck.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (eg6junkie)

any idea on what shifter that is?
Old 06-11-2005, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's a stock shifter

FYI aftermarket especially long shifters are really bad for your transmission, much like a breaker bar extension on a socket wrech they transmit alot of force to the transmission

and it looks stupid

if you really need to be close to your shifter lower your seat and steering wheel
Old 06-11-2005, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stormy)

when it ruins my transmission i'll be sure to let you guys know.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stormy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
if you really need to be close to your shifter lower your seat and steering wheel</TD></TR></TABLE>

not everyone is tall
Old 06-11-2005, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It was hitting some sort of shield on top of the b-pipe on an ITR catback. So I just hammered it down a little bit (not the piping, the sheild on top of it) It doesn't hit at all on my 2.5" piping.

Shifter is noticeably longer than my DC short shifter...
Old 06-11-2005, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Takumi Fujiwara)

i ordered my shifter from MARCUS on the 13th of last month. they double charged my account, and instead of refunding it into my account, they sent me a check. it caused me to have a late bill, and an overdraft fee which he didnt even apologize for. theyre ignoriing my emails also. ive called twice, each time he said he would get a shifter out to me "right away". today is june 12th. and im ******* pissed. ill never do business with them agian. if i dont get my shifter real soon, everyone who comes to my shop will know to not do business with heel toe automotive.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2SLO)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2SLO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i ordered my shifter from MARCUS on the 13th of last month. they double charged my account, and instead of refunding it into my account, they sent me a check. it caused me to have a late bill, and an overdraft fee which he didnt even apologize for. theyre ignoriing my emails also. ive called twice, each time he said he would get a shifter out to me "right away". today is june 12th. and im ******* pissed. ill never do business with them agian. if i dont get my shifter real soon, everyone who comes to my shop will know to not do business with heel toe automotive.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what car did you order it for?
Old 06-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dc. he told me had them in stock.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:17 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2SLO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dc. he told me had them in stock. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, 3 years in buisness and my first flame.

Seriously man, I do have them in stock. 3 on the shelf right now. I am not ignoring emails or phone calls, and I do not have any pissed off voicemails.....maybe you are one of those guys who don't like leaving messages. I really don't even know who you are. I have no IMs from you, no emails that I see (may have been deleted on accident), and certainly no pissed off voicemails!!!!!!

I never heard anyone complain about a late bill, or overdraft bs stuff. How can I apologize for all this when I had no idea it even happened? People double-order off my site because they often double-click the links! Regardless, your bills are not my resonsibility. It is our policy to always refund via company check. You got your refund, didn't you? I try to make it happen as fast as possible! Even if I had credited your card back it take 3-4 days for the $$ to hit the account anyway.

Maybe you have not bugged me as much as you think you have. I have no pending orders here for shifters. Maybe there was a glitch. It happens to lucky people sometimes.

Regardless, If I owe you a shifter it needs to be resolved! I had no idea you have been stewing over this. Call me today. Right now. I will overnight one to you today. No need for this post.

Great post too eg6!!!!! Thanks!
Old 06-13-2005, 07:23 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stormy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's a stock shifter

FYI aftermarket especially long shifters are really bad for your transmission, much like a breaker bar extension on a socket wrech they transmit alot of force to the transmission

and it looks stupid

if you really need to be close to your shifter lower your seat and steering wheel</TD></TR></TABLE>

Um, it is very very far from being a stock shifter. The length and weight of the shifter have been specifically designed to provide superior shifting to anything else out there.

More force on the transmission? Yeah, maybe if you force the thing all over the place. This shifter makes shifting easier by decreasing the effort. But is it not going to hurt your tranny any mroe than a stock shifter will. SHIFTERS DON'T KILL TRANNYS, PEOPLE DO!

Looking stupid is a matter of opinion, and for someone who's first priority is performance the look is easily OVERlooked.

Lowering the seat an steering wheel is not always an option. What good is doing this if you can't see over the dash? To get the effect this shifter provides, you would have to make a hole in your floorboard and refabricate a new steering column.

Give us a real arguement here.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MrHeeltoe)

maybe we will have this all worked out.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:22 AM

marcus and heeltoe are always top notch in regards to service and customer care. heeltoe =
Old 06-13-2005, 08:24 AM

Default Re: (one.simple.dc)

why not just buy a mack truck shift assembly......
Old 06-13-2005, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stormy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's a stock shifter

and it looks stupid

When in the **** did you become the official say so honda mechanic of this website sir? You're posts are always short and stupid and you try to come off like some overcharismatic honda genious when really you're one of the prime idiots on this godamned website who pop into some random post and respond with your little witty one liner and a picture of some parts you might of installed/stolen/found whatever floats your boat and fits the profile.

Personally you have no experience with this shifter, so get off of your soapbox and shut the **** up. People like you get on my godamned nerves. Because it doesnt sit low and have a clear bubble filled shift **** on it and it wasnt in an option video its not jdm tyte enough for you.

The shifter does not work like a godamned breaker bar on your transmission unless you were shifting w/o pressing your clutch pedal in and making sure that you gave that **** some super street fighter punches through the gates.

This shifter moves like a hot knife through godamned butter.

The original posters car is a completely different model than mine therefore his exhaust system is designed differently. Hatch owners also have "slightly" different bends in the b section of the exhaust.

My shifter cannot have the hangars of the stock exhaust pipe attached or the shifter hits the piping. I heard that I can take my car to an exhaust shop to have this fixed. Really its not that big of a concern its just my stock piping thats hitting everything. Honda chose to put a ******* sparkletts bottle on the 1.75 inch piping for a resonator instead of something smooth like a subway sandwich.

Anyway I hate when people give off an opinion of a funtional ******* item because of its appearance. I am sure if omniman released a similar shifter then you'd be all over it.

Make sure to think before you speak so that way there will be some credibility behind your words STORMY.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:00 PM

Default Re: (137)

who the **** are you vin diesel you can't even keep your **** straight in the same sentence

"The shifter does not work like a godamned breaker bar on your transmission unless you were shifting w/o pressing your clutch pedal in and making sure that you gave that **** some super street fighter punches through the gates.

This shifter moves like a hot knife through godamned butter.
"
WTF do you think a breaker bar does ?

It increases the leverage on something by increasing the length of the bar MAKING it easier to apply massive tq relatively easily.

So why would one need to apply increased leverage unless you were abusing the transmission or your **** is so fucked up you have to force it in gear

anyway let's take a look here hmm actual honda race cars

the fastest s2000 in honda cup /challenge = stock shifter

the fastest honda drift car = stock shifter

the fastest k20 powered eg = stock shifter

the fastest e30 in rs = stock shifter

and incredibly fast car in ITA and also an autox'er

the fastest FWD pro RR cars

the real time TSX = stock shifter

the real time RSX = stock shifter

Some other examples

DC sports WC ITR's
Skunk2 Si's &lt;even they don't use skunk2 shifters&gt;
Roger Foo's EG
All of Spoons endurance cars

**** any serious RR or auto x car

= stock shifter

Anyone who has even the slightest inkling of driving a car meant to last more than 6 miles knows you don't slam through the gears in a honda. And if the extra 3 inches did make a difference your shifting at the wrong time and up setting the weight balance of the car in doing so.

so that leave only 2 options if your arm can't reach

A: move the shifter higher

B: move the seat and steering wheel lower

next time you think about jumping in on me bring more than your mouth to battle - thx

Basically in the end this become a total appearance mod

Modified by stormy at 12:17 AM 6/14/2005

Modified by stormy at 12:23 AM 6/14/2005
Old 06-13-2005, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 06-13-2005, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Review: Fastline performance shifter and a few photos. (eg6junkie)

BAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!!!!! I'm sorry, this is harlious picture of shifter.. Man, that look funny otherwise look good.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Review: Fastline performance shifter and a few photos. (CrazyHondaBoy)

and on top of that I just found dominic torreto's own ringing endorsement

"CONS *HEEEEERE WE GO*
Due to the size of this thing there were some concerns and im gonna give the undercarridge another look to make sure everything was tightened down and im also gonna try it with the oem bushings but anyway let me express my concerns.

- The shifter is so long that you cannot use the exhaust hangar under the shifter to hold your resonator up. The shifter just wont allow it and it will have to be modified. The resonator will eventually come up and hit the shifter when releasing the gas during driving. But thats all nit picky ****, doesnt really bother me. Its more my resonator getting PUNCTURED by something since its not being held up any longer and also the stress its putting on the rest of the exhaust bolts by sitting loose.

- The shifter is pretty sloppy, but being used to the b&m which is very direct, utilized the stock equipment *none of their rollerskate bearings the competition likes to use* I may just not be used to a stock shifting feel.
They say a lot of research went into this thing, and im just wondering if it was research that actually went into it or coming up with the money to mass produce them for profit.

- When in gear you can feel play in the shifter wiggling it from left to right, almost as much play as you would get having it in neutral and shaking your stick left to right to make sure its not in gear. Some people do this some people dont, but I never have made a mistake of having my car in gear at a stop or starting it. Im affraid I might get caught off guard with this shifter. Again it might be I didnt tighten the lateral ES Bushing enough under the car. -dunno- I will double check but im pretty sure thats due to the design of the shifter.

- Did I forget to mention you cant use the exhaust hangar under the shift linkage anymore and my exhaust is starting to hit a lot more things going through a parking lot than it did before?
[img]

- Some people will think it looks stupid because you have a big rig shifter in your car now. Or it might gain your car some "unwanted" attention. But if you put a performance part on your car because of its looks then you have some issues.

Anyway for 150 dollars I think if b&m personally would just put a bend in their shifter then they would have a winner on their hands. C's is out of business so there is no picking up one of those but they still sit rediculously low. I think it's just gonna take some time for me to get used to the way this shifts and then I wont be able to drive with anything else but I definately am going to weld a new exhaust hangar down under the car for the b pipe. I dont really have much more to say than that.

"

yep sounds like a real winner
Old 06-13-2005, 11:29 PM

Default Re: Review: Fastline performance shifter and a few photos. (CrazyHondaBoy)

wow....excellent rebuttle....thats some old fashion ownage
Old 06-13-2005, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Review: Fastline performance shifter and a few photos. (2+2Door)

Old 06-13-2005, 11:45 PM

Default Re: Review: Fastline performance shifter and a few photos. (BS 22)

for someone who really had to do it but wanted to have the actual through remain the same

Old 06-13-2005, 11:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Review: Fastline performance shifter and a few photos. (stormy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stormy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for someone who really had to do it but wanted to have the actual through remain the same

</TD></TR></TABLE>

wouldnt that be weird driving sitting all the way back there?

Quick Reply: Review: Fastline performance shifter and a few photos.