Notices
Honda / Acura Appearance related discussion for Honda / Acura vehicles

Post your painted / rubbberized coated under carriage bling!! **Not a suspension bling post!!**

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Post your painted / rubbberized coated under carriage bling!! **Not a suspension bling post!!**

If you want to see suspension shots search "post suspension".

I'm making this post because I am getting ready to put some protection on my under carriage. I was going to to use the 3m rubberized undercoating, but after this response I'm not sure what I want to do:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ShinHed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks god you haven't undercoated the car yet. That 3M stuff s pretty weak. I painted the trunk of my old Accord with that stuff, and it took forever and a day to dry and wasn't nearly a durable as Heculiner. I too am building up a car similar to what you're doing and when I get to the underside and wheels wells, I'm using Hercliner instead. For longevity, you should do the same.</TD></TR></TABLE>

3 cans of the 3m undercoating cost me about $16 at Wal-Mart. I really would like to take the route SHG_EasyE from the SoHonda crew did with the battleship gray. But, will it hold up and protect from the water and debris the under carriage will see?? I'm thinking if I put down primer and many thin coats of paint it should last. I don't even plan to drive the car in the rain, but you never know when mother nature will hit you.

I'll start this thread off with some pics of my work so far. (Before you say it, new fender liners will be installed)

Not the best shot since I was focusing on the hollow piece to run the wires, but you can see the cleanliness

Yeah, the back seat drivers side area is a little orange in the pic. I took care of that and 80% of the rear undercarriage the next day:

I do realize average person is not going to even look at the under carriage when doing a swap. <FONT COLOR="red">But there are some go out all, in depth bad-a$$ *****'s, toothbrush cleaning,</FONT> sand grit in the eyes (not now since I finally picked up safety googles) around. Let's see the bling that will never be seen.

At least post up what you used, how long it's been on, and how it's holding up to go along with the pics

BTW &gt; I have used engine degreaser, scrub brush, a tooth brush, and LOTS of elbow grease with what you see

Modified by Hybrid93Hatch at 10:40 AM 4/16/2007
Old 04-16-2007, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Post your painted / rubbberized coated under carriage bling!! **Not a suspension bling post!!**

Nice work, but why did your undercarriage look so bare to begin with?
Old 04-16-2007, 06:25 AM
Senor Miembro

great idea!
Old 04-16-2007, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Phil DeVtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nice work, but why did your undercarriage look so bare to begin with?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you are referring to the crossmember / brake lines they have all been removed.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:35 AM

EFSS153

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Hybrid93Hatch)

I want to re-do mine. What about por15?
Old 04-16-2007, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (-NA-aLL-thE-wAy-)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by -NA-aLL-thE-wAy- &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I want to re-do mine. What about por15?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Por15 is defiantly the best to go with, its the most durable and will prevent rust.. but its super expensive and takes forever to dry.... since im on a budget i decided to just prime and paint mine with grey engine enamel... i used it on my bay, undercarriage and interior and so far no problems with durability

few examples of the finish....

Modified by SHG_EasyE at 2:06 PM 4/16/2007
Old 04-16-2007, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looking good
Old 04-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NIKE SB'd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NIKE SB’d &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looking good </TD></TR></TABLE> X2
Old 04-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NIKE SB'd)

how about truck bed liner stuff? That should offer some heavy duty protection.

just a thought to stir up dicussion.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:14 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Re: (huepowered)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by huepowered &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how about truck bed liner stuff? That should offer some heavy duty protection.

just a thought to stir up dicussion.</TD></TR></TABLE>

They mentioned Herculiner, which is a DIY brand of roll-on bed liner. There's also professional spray-on applications, such as Rhino Liner. I've heard tons of success stories on Rhino Liner'd underbodies of rock crawlers and other such off-roading vehicles, so I assume that it'd be perfectly fine in this application.