Notices
Honda / Acura Appearance related discussion for Honda / Acura vehicles

Painting procedure. Prep work + paint.

Old 06-12-2004, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting procedure. Prep work + paint.

I'm starting this thread so that maybe we can all learn something about painting a car. Maybe we will see less 5 tone Hondas on the street if we all learn something. Below I will share what I know but anyone with EXPERIENCE should chime in to help some fellow enthusiast out.

So let's say I have a 91' Civic with paint that is started to fade...I would...

1. Clean surface of panel that needs to be painted as best as possible.
2. Power sand the existing paint with 24 grit discs.(what are some advantages of dual action sanders compared to other types?...I'm assuming you can't use a palm sander for this job. Or can you? )
3. You should see the metal of the car after it is all sanded off (not sure if that is correct or not) Clean surface off and blow off all dust with compressed air. (wtf is metal conditioning?...please explain if you know)
4. Put the primer into the spray gun and spray onto the metal surface.
5. Allow the primer to dry for about a day(depends on what type of primer)
6. Block sand the primer according to list below and clean off all the dust. (what type of sandpaper do I use?)
a. dry block sand with 100grit
b. dry block sand with 150grit
c. wet block sand with 220grit
7. Clean off the surface.
8. When the primer dries up, apply a FINAL coat of primer so that all the little imperfections on the first coat will be covered.(i read somewhere about this surfacer type stuff, what is it and how do you use it?)
8. Wet block sand with 400grit. Surface should be smooth after.
9. Clean off the surface.
***this is where I get a little confused***
10. If you decide to let the "just sanded" primer sit for too long, you will have to wet sand with 400grit sandpaper to "reopen" up the primer. Primer adhires to "just sanded" surface the best.
11. Put paint into spray gun. Get ready to paint.
12. Start on one side of the panel...lets say, left to right. Start spraying from left to right at a steady pace. Make sure you don't go too slow or else you make the paint run and not too fast or else the surface would look duller then others spots. It has to be a constant pace where it is at the limit of making the paint run, please correct me if I am wrong.
13. Spray from the edge of the left side of the panel and continue until you pass the right most edge of the panel. Then you spray from the right side back to the left. Repeat until panel is painted. There is a technique to help make sure that your paint is even throughout the process...it is kind of hard to explain. Picture the paint coming out of the spray gun in a circular shape. As you spray from the left to right, when you come back around, you make it so that the top of the second spray is just in the center of the oval of the previous one. Like I said, a bit hard to explain, but imagine two quarters with one over the other and the top of one quarter is at the center of the other one.
14. Let dry.
15. Clearcoat? I have a question about applying clearcoat. Is it needed or do paint now-a-days have something in it that acts as a clearcoat already?

I have never painted a car before...well anything for that matter so everything I just typed can mean jacksquat. Actually, I don't know jacksquat about painting a car period. That is why I'm asking you guys for assistance. What type of power sander do you recommend? I know the downfall of a power sander is that it would heat up the metal which can inflict some flaws into it...are there any other better ways of taking the old paint off...I heard the Dual Action power sanders prevent this
?? I heard of sand blasting but I heard it isn't ideal and power sanding is safest. Also what type of compressor and spray guns do you recommend? I don't want to waste money on a spray gun that doesn't atomize the paint or primer well. Any techniques that will help me out. I don't know jacksquat about painting a car but I'm a fast learner...a really hands-on type of person. If anyone in the bay area wants to take me under their wings, I would be more then happy! I'm just another guy trying to learn a bit more about car restoration.

P.S. Oh, another thing. How the heck do people paint their engine bay? I don't see how there is enough room to sand and paint all that stuff....do they pull their engine? Also what are the average cost for a good spray gun, air compressor, paint, and primer? What type of primer is needed? There are a bunch at home depot but I'm not sure if they are suitable for automotive use.